Kia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it's time to replace my brake pads/rotors I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on if I should go OEM or aftermarket. How do the OEM pads/rotors compare to aftermarket options in terms of noise/performance/price?

Thanks,
- Edirol

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
99 Posts
I have always leaned towards aftermarket ceramic pads with coated rotors.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SXL
74 Posts
You can get after market pads for a better price. Unless you are doing rally road racing the stock rotors work fine. Ceramic pads wear cast iron rotors down faster!

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
99 Posts
You can get after market pads for a better price. Unless you are doing rally road racing the stock rotors work fine. Ceramic pads wear cast iron rotors down faster!
Based on what evidence?

The last set of ceramic pads I purchased, I put 110k miles on them with the factory cast iron rotors (at 140k miles) and the rotors were visibly worn but only had a 0.087" lip.

Based on my experience, your claim that ceramic brake pads wear cast iron rotors down faster is completely unfounded.

Ceramic pads wear much, much better, last longer, perform better under heavy braking, and have far less dust than semi-metallics.

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
201 Posts
When it's time to replace my brake pads/rotors I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on if I should go OEM or aftermarket. How do the OEM pads/rotors compare to aftermarket options in terms of noise/performance/price?

Thanks,
- Edirol
Have used NAPA Platinum rotors and pads for many years with no problems ever. And we live in the winter salt belt in the mountains.

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
203 Posts
Stock equipment is jus fine. However I've used several aftermarket products and didn't notice much diff. One brand that I would recommend is stop tech. These are worth the extra money in terms of stopping power. I sold my car before they wore so cant speak on longevity, but i Would deff buy them again when i need to do a brake change.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
99 Posts
Stock equipment is jus fine. However I've used several aftermarket products and didn't notice much diff. One brand that I would recommend is stop tech. These are worth the extra money in terms of stopping power. I sold my car before they wore so cant speak on longevity, but i Would deff buy them again when i need to do a brake change.
Stop Tech was the brand of ceramic pads I bought. Insane performance and longevity. 10/10 would buy again.

·
Registered
2021 Sportage S 2.4 FWD
302 Posts
Depends on driver and driving expectations as I find OE pads pathetic. Lucky the SX comes with big front brakes.

I don't care for ceramic or metallic pad 'marketing'. Just because its ceramic, or whatever marketing term, doesn't automatically make it great. Generic and store brand ceramic pads tend to be pathetic.

Concerning dust/noise.... not even variables that I consider. Brakes are for stopping and I want the best stopping and pad feel available.

Rockauto has a good selection at a fair price. Raybestos Element3 rotors are a pretty good choice for the money. Bosch/Wagner/.... are also good too.

Rockauto also has Advics, Akebono, Wagner OEX, and Raybestos EHT pads.

Element3 Brake Pads hybrid ceramic/metallic are my preferred pads
OEx Brake Pads

And above all, an all around complete brake bleed and proper installation is required. Too many shops/dealers/techs cut as many corners as possible. Hubs need to be cleaned, pins/bores need to be cleaned and lube properly. Pin boots need to be replaced. Everything should be torqued correctly.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
99 Posts
And above all, an all around complete brake bleed and proper installation is required. Too many shops/dealers/techs cut as many corners as possible. Hubs need to be cleaned, pins/bores need to be cleaned and lube properly. Pin boots need to be replaced. Everything should be torqued correctly.
This cannot be understated. And so many people neglect the brake system.

Brake fluid should be replaced every [48,000mi/48mos for Turbo models and 60,000mi/72mos for non- Turbo models], per normal maintenance schedule. My manual does not provide a different brake fluid replacement interval for severe usage conditions.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
817 Posts
I'll suggest having a look at Raybestos EHT rotors and pads, very happy with several applications on Kia and Honda/Acura.
Rotors are coated and will fair great in Canada, pads are silent and bite very well with very positive and predictable feel, cheap(ish) even if bought from Canada and shipped from USA (Rock Auto).
I'm also using Bosch ESI6 brake fluid last few years and am very happy with it. Sliding pin boots don't need to be changed but pins need to be removed, cleaned and re-lubed.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
1,123 Posts
Just had a service done at the dealer and my OEM brakes are still in good shape at 66,000 miles

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
OEM rotors are good. I have not read the first complaint of 'warped' rotors on here. IMO the brakes are excellent - I think the best I've ever had although the brakes on my '07 F150 are great too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone.

So I have ~66km/40k miles on the car and my brakes have 4mm remaining.

Just for parts, dealership wants:
Front Rotors (L/R set): 264 CAD/210 USD
Front Pads (L/R set): 120 CAD/95 USD
Rear Rotors (L/R set): 200 CAD/158 USD
Rear Pads (L/R set): 200 CAD/158 USD
Total: 784 CAD/ 620USD
Total /w Tax: 886 CAD / 700 USD

OEM rotors are not coated, but the pads are ceramic.

I'm thinking of getting this coated PowerStop kit from either rockauto.com or partsengine.ca:

They also offer a slotted/drilled/zinc coated version (Z23), but while those have better braking performance, they might be slightly louder and not really needed for a daily driver.

After shipping+tax still way cheaper than the dealer (468CAD/372USD)

Thanks,
- Edirol

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,015 Posts
They also offer a slotted/drilled/zinc coated version (Z23), but while those have better braking performance, they might be slightly louder and not really needed for a daily driver.
I have the Z23 kit on the front of my vehicle.

At 9K miles they sent a new replacement kit because of vibration and growling noise.

The second set is a little better but still have a slight vibration and growl which changes as the speed peels off right down to fairly low speed.

The zinc coating did not last long at all - I painted them with caliper paint and they still look good.

This was my first and last drilled and slotted rotors.

Reactions: SSportage

·
Registered
474 Posts
You shouldn't have to replace the rears at that mileage. Have you looked at them?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts