Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recently fitted a new JVC head unit to our trusty old '95 Nissan 240SX

The GF is very impressed with the Bluetooth function and has hinted that this would be great for the Entourage.

I've scraped the surface of this topic after looking at head units over at crutchfield.com This Pioneer caught my attention:

Pioneer FH-X700BT

From what I understand, I can change the head unit easily enough but I'd probably lose the ability to use the steering wheel control, unless I could find a separate wiring harness - probably quite expensive if possible but not the end of the world.

What concerned me more, was whether or not I'd still be able to use the DVD system?

Does anybody here have any experience of swapping out the OEM head unit for something else with the same application of Infinity Sound and Factory DVD Unit?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some things to add:
Roof mounted DVD units don't always last long and expensive to replace, do you still have a warranty? Would you replace it?
If your aftermarket HU has an aux input on back, the DVD unit would have a input wire going to the dash unit. This wire may work in the aux Input to control the DVD unit.
I am sure the infinity speaker system has its own amp so you would have to use speaker level line converter to connect the speakers. This uses the amp to power the speakers and not the HU amp.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some things to add:
Roof mounted DVD units don't always last long and expensive to replace, do you still have a warranty? Would you replace it?
If your aftermarket HU has an aux input on back, the DVD unit would have a input wire going to the dash unit. This wire may work in the aux Input to control the DVD unit.
I am sure the infinity speaker system has its own amp so you would have to use speaker level line converter to connect the speakers. This uses the amp to power the speakers and not the HU amp.
There's no warranty on the van or DVD player now (It's an 07 Entourage)

I'm pretty sure if the DVD player failed I'd probably just get some headrest mounted players to replace it. Then again, perhaps there's some cheap fix using the DVD player from another unit etc.?

We actually have a 10" DVD player made by Philips that has two screens which has not been used yet - that would probably be the option of choice...but it's not the same sound quality of course.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Make sure to educate yourself on current technology as the New car HU's are like home receivers. There are so many neat options. I have the pioneer x3500bhs DVD receiver.
It is touch screen, less then $300 but has room to grow. What does that mean?
It is wired so the DVD always works, I do not use it that way but other functions I wanted to access. It has video outs so you can connect to headrest mount LCD screens, control all from the HU and the sound comes through your speakers. It has a remote so the kids in back can control the movie. It has a USB out so you can connect a USB flashdrive (I have a 16 GB with over 200 CD's on it. This would hold maybe 13 DVD movies.
It can connect to a rear view camera if you want to install one.
There is a great selection of HU's today so based on how long you plan to keep the car, choose accordingly.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reading your last post, I can see you've thought a few more steps down the line than I have! ;)

I was really just looking for something to provide Bluetooth function and retain as many standards features as possible.

It makes sense to perhaps spend a bit more giving better options in the future - e.g. the Philips DVD system.

The van should still have quite a bit of life left in it, as it's currently standing at around 96,000 miles, so I'd hope it will be running reliably for the next 5~6 years.

We do look after our vehicles so I hope this won't be too difficult :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
gtd2000, did you ever install the aftermarket stereo? I ordered the last of my parts today to bring my stereo/entertainment center to current technology (yes with room to grow)
Reading your last post, I can see you've thought a few more steps down the line than I have! ;)

I was really just looking for something to provide Bluetooth function and retain as many standards features as possible.

It makes sense to perhaps spend a bit more giving better options in the future - e.g. the Philips DVD system.

The van should still have quite a bit of life left in it, as it's currently standing at around 96,000 miles, so I'd hope it will be running reliably for the next 5~6 years.

We do look after our vehicles so I hope this won't be too difficult :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gtd2000, did you ever install the aftermarket stereo? I ordered the last of my parts today to bring my stereo/entertainment center to current technology (yes with room to grow)
Unfortunately, my (now ex) GF managed to total the van earlier this year - around the time that you posted this message....oops.

Damage to the van wasn't terrible but hitting a Chevy Suburban didn't do it any favours at all. :|

1 - 10 of 10 Posts