Registered
2009 Kia Borrego 4.6L EX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
Other people have posted about those Chinese knock-offs... but nobody has confirmed to have bought them. At $570, I definitely won't be the first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am looking to add DVD to my Borrego. I am leaning more towards Headrest mounts and a 1 DIN unit. I know that the factory spot for the rear DVD is in the center console. I wonder if the center console is set up to hold a 1 DIN unit under the outside cover?

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego LX
246 Posts
I am looking at replacing my radio with this unit AUTO Car Gps Navigation DVD FOR KIA Borrego bluetooth on eBay.ca (item 330379947550 end time 22-Jan-10 01:09:19 EST) and was wondering if anyone else has done it and what were the results. I do not want to sacrifice the quality of sound I am already getting.

I tried to do a search for the maunfacturer of the radio unit that is currently in my Borrego using dealer supplied info but had no success.

Thanks
Wayne Riley
I have installed a few of these types of units in other vehicles. One thing that I found that they lack, or at least the ones I did, is the ability to listen to audio and do navigation at the same time.
Other then that they work pretty good.

Sound quality? I don't think you'll lose much, unless you have an amplified Infinity system in the vehicle already. But the Borrego comes with navigation if it's an Infinity system?

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego LX
246 Posts
I am looking to add DVD to my Borrego. I am leaning more towards Headrest mounts and a 1 DIN unit. I know that the factory spot for the rear DVD is in the center console. I wonder if the center console is set up to hold a 1 DIN unit under the outside cover?
Can you point me to a place online that I can find a picture of the factory system installed??

I'm sure that with a little custom work a 1 din or 1/2 din player can be installed in the center console.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found a picture of the mounting bracket from inside the console and it looks as if it is made to accommodate a single din device. I will not know for sure until I get the covers taken off the console. i will post pictures when I get this done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:confused::(Wayne I have two systems laying in my floor they are chinese and booth work Beatiful with one little thing. NOOOO! SOUNDDDDDD! and as of this time I can't find no one thats wants to work on it. I will never do this again. My advise is take it to a Bonafide shop and let them put you one in you would be miles ahead. But if you know some one that can install them and you lilive close to Huntsville,Al. I will give you one and you have mine installed. Fair enough. Ans soon Eric

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I bought a chinease DVD with GPS for my Mohave '09, it is working fine since 09.2010, those chinease are realy good, they provide cable convertor so you don't have to cut the original wires, they also sent the tool to that helped me to remove the original radio without damaging the face plastic, by the way, I installed it by myself, no need to pay for the installation. following is the link of the site where I bought it online, if you need any help please don't be hesistated to contact me:

KIA Borrego Mohave DVD Player with GPS navigation and 7 Digital HD touchscreen + Bluetooth KIA Borrego DVD Player,KIA Borrego DVD GPS,KIA mohave Navigation system [QL-KIA340]

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX | 2009 Borrego EX (gone)
211 Posts
Hi, I bought a chinease DVD with GPS for my Mohave '09, it is working fine since 09.2010, those chinease are realy good, they provide cable convertor so you don't have to cut the original wires, they also sent the tool to that helped me to remove the original radio without damaging the face plastic, by the way, I installed it by myself, no need to pay for the installation. following is the link of the site where I bought it online, if you need any help please don't be hesistated to contact me:

KIA Borrego Mohave DVD Player with GPS navigation and 7 Digital HD touchscreen + Bluetooth KIA Borrego DVD Player,KIA Borrego DVD GPS,KIA mohave Navigation system [QL-KIA340]
Hi there. Sorry but I have several questions :D
1) what kind of system did you have? I have the V6 EX with the rear entertainment package. I am worried I will lose the overheard DVD player.
2) does the navigation work well?
3) any pictures possible?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego LX V6
6 Posts
Thought about taking the plunge on this...

I emailed back and forth with one of the companies that produce these "OEM" knock-off Borrego navigation units. I have the '09 LX V6 and there are a few concerns for me regarding this install:
1. I've looked through every screenshot of every Chinese unit available for purchase on the internet, and the english - though not terrible - is a bit strange in places. It may not be an issue for some, but it would bother me.
2. Quality of the touch screen. Most of these units come with a stylus which leads me to believe that the touch screens themselves aren't of great quality. They may work fine with the stylus, but I'm not sure how they will respond to finger touches.
3. Peripherals. I emailed back and forth with one of these companies and the rep didn't speak English well enough for me to get a definitive answer, but I'm concerned that if I install one of these things that I will lose the ability of my stereo system to interface with the auxiliary inputs on the lower console (the aux/usb inputs forward of the shifter). I am absolutely not interested if this thing won't let me navigate my iPod from the screen like the stock stereo unit lets me scroll through it as-is.
4. The "??" factor. The post two spaces above this is clearly not legitimate, and even if it is, I have NEVER seen a picture of one of these things actually installed, or talked to someone who has purchased and installed and USED one. It's literally a shot in the dark, and for $500 I'm just not sure I want to be the one to find out for the team.

Hopefully soon somebody else will, though! Maybe I'll end up getting one after all.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego EX 3.8V6 AWD/2007 Kia Rondo EX 2.7v6
31 Posts
Hello,

I just bought this exact same unit pictured in the link attached to the previous post. It works great and sounds awsome. The only issue I am having is now I get AM radio static and reception loss when I am driving over bumps and it is driving me crazy. It is like a crackling sound. Fm radio works great and so does the rest of the unit, but just AM is the issue. I have used a antenna in line noise suppressor and it made no difference. There is no engine or electrical noise of any kind. Anyone else have this issue and how did it get resolved?

I know the Borrego has a amplified antenna, and I used the appropriate Antenna adapter from Metra. I may try a in-line power noise suppressor, but do not want to spend money unless I have too. The factory radio had great am reception. I did try hooking up a different aftermarket radio and still do get the same crackling am radio noise over bumps so I know it is not the head unit.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Still interested?!

Hi there. Sorry but I have several questions :D
1) what kind of system did you have? I have the V6 EX with the rear entertainment package. I am worried I will lose the overheard DVD player.
2) does the navigation work well?
3) any pictures possible?

Thanks!
hi, are you still interested in this kind of Chinease screen?! i can share my experience with you. i already have one since sept. 2010. contact me on my email: [email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, are you still interested in this kind of Chinease screen?! i can share my experience with you. i already have one since sept. 2010. contact me on my email: [email protected]
I have a problem reading my iPod classic last generation, it doesn´t read it. Then, I try with my iPhone and iPod touch ans works but don´t charge the device.

One person told me it is a matter of downloading the upgrade and installing it, what do you know about it?

Sorry about my english but I'm from Perú and I speak spanish..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts