Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting one of these for my 2019 Kia EX , has anyone installed something like this in their Sorento? Any suggestion or advise?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
24 Posts
It does say in the description that it doesn't work with Kia's. Not sure I'd want to buy from that particular vendor after reading through that auction listing.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
927 Posts
It does say in the description that it doesn't work with Kia's. Not sure I'd want to buy from that particular vendor after reading through that auction listing.
It says "some models", and no one I've ever talked to about recent vintage Hyundai Santa Fe (2008+) or Kia Sorento (2011+) has had any OBDII connection/data issues with any other real-time OBDII tools of this sort (e.g., ScanGauge) which all depend upon the same data.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
332 Posts
I have a scangauge II that I've hooked up in mine although I don't run it all the time. It will report anything for which there is a sensor but it will not report things that don't, like transmission temperature even though that function shows up. There are several more it won't show and they escape me at the moment. The nicest function is being able to offset the MPG reading to get it dead accurate as opposed to the rather optimistic system in the car. I think I ended up offset about 8.4% and was right on the actual mileage. It will also read error codes and reset trouble light and give you real time stack data - no mention as to whether this one does that.

I don't think it's a true HUD - you just mount the unit on top of the dash so that it's in your line of vision. There are ones on there that appear to be true HUD which would be preferable, especially assuming it can be turned off when not wanted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, everyone for your inputs. I ordered one from the Aliexpress which has both options GPS / OBD 2. If for whatever reason OBD does not work then I can use GPS functions.

regarding True HUD, I agree this is not a true HUD but lots of after market HUDs have issues projecting properly on the windshield specifically during day time hence they recommend to use some reflective screen on the windshield etc etc and I did not want to go that route hence I opted for this model.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
927 Posts
I'm a little confused about this reference to "GPS" option. You don't hook a device to the vehicle's bus using "GPS" (at least not in the normal use of that acronym). Would be curious to have a link to whatever you ordered.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GPS means device uses GPS satellites to calculate the speed of the vehicle instead of vehicle computer (OBD) . It wont be as accurate as OBD

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
927 Posts
Are you only looking for speed information? The original device you showed has all kinds of other functions that are acquired only over OBDII ports.
I think you will find that your speed is quite accurate via GPS. In fact, if you run an odd size tire for winter as some have done, it will be MORE accurate since the vehicle has no way of knowing what the tire size is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup I am looking for mainly speed info. I will have to wait for another 3 to 4 weeks before I get this device in my hand . Will update you once I receive it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
thanks everyone for your inputs. I got this HUD and OBD connection to this HUD is working fine. So far so good now I just have to use some creative ways to put fuse box cover back in place as due to OBD connector of the HUD fuse box cover won't close I think I will have to cut some part of the fuse box cover :-(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts