Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Sorento owners!

I purchased a 2005 LX and have decided I want fog lights on it. I bought some lights on E-Bay and then began my installtion...only to discover that there ain't much behind the bumper to fasten the light to!

I haven't fully explored what the dealer can do for me on that issue (yet) but I'll bet it's expensive. Was wondering if anyone else had this problem...

Second issue: Fog light switch. Does anyone have a Sorento with a fog-light switch on the dash? I tried KIA and they have something called a "Blanking - Fog Light Switch". I ordered it on-line to be delivered to my local dealer. I called my dealer to see if it came in and it did not...but after some discussion, he told me that it was one of those fake plastic switche covers.

If anyone has any help out there, even pics of their installation, much appreciated!

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
Hi

In New Zealand we have front and rear fogs fitted as standard. The fronts are switched on the headlight / indicator stalk and the rears on one of the switches below the radio on the main centre panel on the dash.

Guess you'd have to have a dash mounted switch for yours but would have thought that a dealer should have been able to source a "rear fog" switch from Korea for you.

Cheers

Derek

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you asking ME how I installed them? That is my original question!

I'm hoping someone out there has some answers on how they did it and where they got the parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I understand that you've questions regarding wiring. But I'm just asking how you mounted them on the bumper, do you have to drill, etc.
Also maybe you can ask the dealer if you can buy somekind of extensions that can plug into the OEM harness.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Originally posted by dgulia@Nov 4 2005, 11:35 AM
I understand that you've questions regarding wiring. But I'm just asking how you mounted them on the bumper, do you have to drill, etc.
Also maybe you can ask the dealer if you can buy somekind of extensions that can plug into the OEM harness.
In the first line he states that after getting into the bumper that he saw that there was not enough space to miunt them, hence he was going to have talk to the dealer about it.

He asked 2 questions, one about mounting them and one about a switch.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
When I had the fog lights fitted to my Sedona the dealer just used a second rear foglight switch. so that's one easy way of sorting that out.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input folks! To clear up any confusion over my question: I began the installation but aborted after discovering that there was nothing to attach the lights to - I have not mounted them yet.

Though I have not had time to verify this, I have heard that the dealer won't sell me seperate parts from the OEM fog light "kit". In addition, I've hit the KIA site, and I have yet to find fog light parts to order from! (And yes, I logged in as owning an EX and an LX model).

Even if they were there, I'm not about to spend huge amounts of money making this happen. But the only way I envision mounting these things on with my current tools and technology is using duct-tape and wires! Not the most elegant solution.

I have since discovered that Derek is absolutely correct about the rear fog light switch on the dash. I'm gonna try "KIA UK" and see where that leads me!

·
Registered
116 Posts
i didn't read the above post yet. don't know if anyone said this.. but i recall someone using the "nipples" the fog light covers that come with the car if u didn't order fog lights..cutting out the middle..and turning it into a bracket for the new fog lights..so that could work

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kia sells this as an assy. And they are under Body and then Body side lamp.
Part No. 922013E011 (LH)/ 922023E011 (RH) - $66.35 each and 1864727009 (Bulb)- 20.25/ ea. Hope that helped.
I think custom sorento has the same for $140. xx for a pair but I don't know if that includes bulbs or not.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good info, Dgulia! I'll take a look at that. I also saw the customsorento lights. It has the mount and bulbs (it seems)...no wiring or switch but I have that anyway. (The switch sucks though). I kinda wished I had seen those before I bought the ones I have now, but oh well. I've spent about $72 bucks on the lights and want to keep it under $120 but I may just have to put a crowbar in my wallet!

Hey NYRngrs24...thats not a bad idea! Gee, I'd hate to cut the covers up and then realize I completely screwed up. But I've also considered "reversing" the light covers...taking the right one, turn it around, inserting the light and putting it on the left side, for example. But in my original message, I never mentioned to folks that the light-cover screw-holes are in an odd angle making that option a bit difficult. I haven't had time to try that, yet. And just for gee-whiz: I'm the proud owner of "non-nippled" light covers! (I guess they hired a new KIA Sorento Light Cover Production Manager...maybe he/she didn't appreciate the humor.)

Good suggestions and I thank you! Please keep on with the suggestions! If anyone has fabricated a mount, I would love to hear about it...and send a pic of it!

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
24 Posts
I was toying with the idea of making a back mounting by getting some sheet metal from home depot and bending it so that I could screw the light to it and than screw it to the original mounting holes. Or using fiberglass to make a back mount. You can get it the cloth and resin at wal-mart for around $5 or $10. I think the fiberglass would be the best idea as it can be cut easier and would be easier to get to the shape you want.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well folks... I solved the fog light mounting problem: I went (very cautiously) with NYRngers24 solution: I cut the light cover tops off so that they cup and secure the lights in place! They look fantastic! My wife was very pleased (but nervous as **** during the process...hahaha)

The "nipple" covers have an edge all the way around them so I used that as my guide. I bought a dremmel set ($8.00) of cutting bits only to discover that it did NOT have a bit made of metal. The cutting was difficult because they broke all the time but I had like 32 of them. What ended up working more efficiently was a steak knife. (Yeah...really). The nipple covers are made of a soft plastic that was slightly malleable, so the knife cut rather easilly. It sounds really crude but I made consistent cuts. If had waited and bought the metal dremmel cutting bit, I would have been more precise...but I found out that I really didn't need to be. After the cutting, I simply fit the lights in my new "holder", screwed them in place and BAM...instant fog lights!

I have not wired anything up yet and still looking for a switch. Thanks for the input folks!

For those folks interested in doing this, I have a couple of tips: Definitely use the metal dremmel bit. Also, don't be looking at EBay first to buy fog lights! I saw a set at Walmart that were 26 dollars and I know they would have fit....comes complete with wiring and switch. Now they may not have been as nice as the "Angel Eyes" set I got but they would have worked beautifully - I could have saved $50 more dollars. My point is - there are other options out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts