Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'am a new member and owner of a new 2013 Kia Rio 5Lx without cruise and would like to add an aftermarket cruise control unit, would there be a problem installing one?? I was told that it may interfer with factory electrical componets or void the warranty?? Any help which can shed light on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
07 Optima 2.4L
109 Posts
KIA Aftermarket Cruise Control

Hi...you would certainly want the correct system for your car model year, of course. Check online by searching Amazon or eBay for the system for 2013 Kia Rio with Auto transmission, if available yet. There is one now listed for the 2012 Rio and Soul (#250-1859), which might fit, for around $275 on Amazon. The manual says this system will also fit 2007-10 and 2011-12 Optima/Forte/Rondo as well. Contact the manufacturer. Check it out:

http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-1859_Form5231G.pdf

You can also find one made for the older 2007-11 model Rio, sold by Rostra, listed as (#250-1799), as well as for other KIA models, and there is good information available online for installation of these systems. If you are doing it yourself, make sure you research first and know in detail what you will be doing and what parts and tools you will need before attempting this, or price the job from a qualified installer or a KIA dealer. Manual for the 250-1799 (which also fits some earlier Accent and Soul models) system is found here:
http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-1799_Form5051C.pdf

Video of partial install steps here:

I have actually seen this aftermarket cruise control system installed by a KIA dealer on a 2007 Kia Rio, done as part of the sale for the customer. It looks pretty much stock from the factory, with the handy stalk control sticking out of the lower left side of the steering wheel shroud. Cruise Control really makes long-distance cruising so much easier on the feet and the nerves.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find out and decide to do.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
The 2013 Rio has an ELECTRONIC THROTTLE - the cruise control is entirely controlled by the computer. An aftermarket cable-based system WILL NOT work. The easiest, and by far cheapest way of installing cruise control is to find a steering wheel from a 2012-13 Rio WITH cruise control (check salvage yards), and install it. It's plug-and-play as far as I know. The wiring is all there, just need the switch and the steering wheel harness. There were members a few weeks ago that were able to activate cruise control by swapping steering wheels. You may want to do a quick forum search to see if you can find that thread.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,239 Posts

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Seems like a lot of expense and wiring when you can just replace the wheel....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts