Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid (2019)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I changed my tires yesterday (Summer to Winter).
Today the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) warning light went on.

I was looking online that it will go away by itself after 20-30 km.
Some say 50+ km.

I have already done ~25 km, but the light is still on.
Will drive some more... but just want to know if other people are experiencing the same and after how much time/km did the warning went away?
Or If i should go to a service.

I have Kia Niro, Plug in Hybrid.
Year Model: 2019

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,867 Posts
If you had the tires removed/replaced on the same rims and the air pressure is correct then you may have an installation problem... Some older tire machines can damage the air pressure sensors... If you changed both the tires and rims then you no longer have the sensors within the tires or the sensors that are now in the winter tires are not registered in the TPMS system... It may also be just that one or more tires may be out of range (too high or too low pressure)...The TPMS would sense the summer tires (on rims) until you removed them for storage so that may also be the case...
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you had the tires removed/replaced on the same rims and the air pressure is correct then you may have an installation problem... Some older tire machines can damage the air pressure sensors... If you changed both the tires and rims then you no longer have the sensors within the tires or the sensors that are now in the winter tires are not registered in the TPMS system... It may also be just that one or more tires may be out of range (too high or too low pressure)...The TPMS would sense the summer tires (on rims) until you removed them for storage so that may also be the case...
Dave
I changed both the tires and rims.
Do you know if it is possible to check if the new tires/rims have sensors, any sign on the rims?
Or do I need to call and check with the tires supplier?
Is there any way for them to be registered without me going to service?
I checked the pressure, its around 38 psi. So its okay from the tire specification, but higher from what is written on the CAR door.

·
Registered
Sorento EX, 2013, Niro PHEV SX, 2019
27 Posts
Were the tires and rims purchased with the car or did you purchase them separately? TPMS sensors aren't cheap so that would show on your bill. some people just for go the sensing through the winter months.
Personally we don't get tons of snow here and i have a Sorento with full winters for any skiing trips so I am going to run the stock all seasons this year to see how they go, with the pan to go full all weather tires with the mountain/snowflake symbol next time. My garage was half full of rims and tires with the last two cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the answers.
I spoke to the dealership.... they have seen this problem to other new KIA cars.
They have ordered new sensors.
So hopefully this will be solved once they changed them :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts