Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kia optima 2008 2.0l
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Dear...All

I changed my engine oil and the engine start to make ticking noise it's chain timing 1.8/2.0 engine optima 2008 please tel me if this sound mean something is going bad or it;s normal sound for new oil.

by the way it happen to my brother too he got 2.4L optima 2007 after he changed the oil the same sound come up

NOTE : we used the same oil brand TAMOIL 20w-50 super

thank you

·
Registered
72 Posts
oil

I had the same problem when I tried 20w-50 in a Subaru. The oil is too thick. Drain it out and use the recommended weight for the Kia.

·
Registered
Kia optima 2008 2.0l
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but the weather her get very ho 37 up to 40 degree i was told to use 20w50
so what you think !!

·
Registered
Kia optima 2008 2.0l
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you know what is available around here is Liqui moly 10w-40 also maxx and TAMOIL 10w-40 and 20w-50 which i use now and making a ticking sound i used it before it was okay only this time it made some ticking sound the cat has 100K KM in it do you think it is the chain tensioner need to be change

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Well, it didn't start to make noise until you installed the incorrect viscosity oil, so I'm going to guess that the oil is the cause, not the tensioner. If you leave the incorrect oil it, you could end up damaging the tensioner and other components.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
But the weather here get very hot 37 up to 40 degree I was told to use 20w50.
Upper value of oil grade has nothing to do with outside temperature. Engine runs at constant high temperature of about 90°C. Grade depends on engine type and is recommended by maker. Most modern engines require 20 or 30 Grade oil. Older engines or worn engines might need 50 Grade.

Lower value (e.g. 20W) is where you might need to tailor the oil to your outside temperature. Oil needs to be relatively "thin" at start-up so that parts are adequately lubricated. Cold countries (USA/UK) usually require 0W or 5W. Hot countries (Australia/Middle East) require 10W. Here in Nth Queensland, where temperatures range from 15° to 40°C, we use 10W30 as recommended by KIA dealers. Caltex Havoline Premium Plus or Castrol Magnatec are often used by KIA dealers.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
What oil filter are you using??

·
Registered
Kia optima 2008 2.0l
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am using Mobis Genuine Kia Hyundai oil filter i did change my oil today i used Liqui Moly German oil 10w40 semi-synathic i use to put mineral 20w50 but today i notice some extra horse power and smooth driving BUT still hearing ticking sound

by the way i looked every where in the city i didn't find 10w30 oil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts