Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, does anyone have a great resource that specifies what all the model year changes have been to date on the 4th gen Sportage?

I'm in the market to replace our Ram 1500 with a crossover and am attracted to the fact that its on the April 2021 CR's recommended list, C&Ds 2019 editor's choice winner.

What I'm torn on is used vs new (seems the used market is inflated right now?), if going new if the Sportage is going to be redesigned soon as on youtube they showed camo fifth generation one on the Nurburgring already but don't know if that will be a 2022 or 2023 model, and if going used what the best year or trim would be. From what I can tell the Sportage got a mid-cycle refresh in 2020, but doesn't seem like it really changed much.

I understand that AWD costs more and drops fuel economy by 3mpg, but not clear if it really needs it or offers torque vectoring tech and what not like on some vehicles. Then I've narrowed it down to an EX or a SX with the turbo, advice on that? I'm used to 5.7L Hemi power, not racing, but just to floor it when entering busy feeders and what not that something have gaps few and far between so you have to punch it.

I love the ventilated seats, but it also seems you can't get that feature without pano roof right? Does that negate the cooling due to extra solar radiation heating up the car? I live in a very hot climate.

Lastly, if buying right now, would you go with the sister vehicle Tuscon over this? I ask since it just got updated for 2022, so maybe has more bells and whistles?

Appreciate any and all advice!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,510 Posts
Hi all, does anyone have a great resource that specifies what all the model year changes have been to date on the 4th gen Sportage?

I'm in the market to replace our Ram 1500 with a crossover and am attracted to the fact that its on the April 2021 CR's recommended list, C&Ds 2019 editor's choice winner.

What I'm torn on is used vs new (seems the used market is inflated right now?), if going new if the Sportage is going to be redesigned soon as on youtube they showed camo fifth generation one on the Nurburgring already but don't know if that will be a 2022 or 2023 model, and if going used what the best year or trim would be. From what I can tell the Sportage got a mid-cycle refresh in 2020, but doesn't seem like it really changed much.

I understand that AWD costs more and drops fuel economy by 3mpg, but not clear if it really needs it or offers torque vectoring tech and what not like on some vehicles. Then I've narrowed it down to an EX or a SX with the turbo, advice on that? I'm used to 5.7L Hemi power, not racing, but just to floor it when entering busy feeders and what not that something have gaps few and far between so you have to punch it.

I love the ventilated seats, but it also seems you can't get that feature without pano roof right? Does that negate the cooling due to extra solar radiation heating up the car? I live in a very hot climate.

Lastly, if buying right now, would you go with the sister vehicle Tuscon over this? I ask since it just got updated for 2022, so maybe has more bells and whistles?

I responded to you in the other topic. So read that. Regarding the panoramic roof -- I have it and live in Las Vegas -- which is also very hot. It's fine. I wouldn't buy a 2017-2018 SX because of the engine. So if you want the power of an SX, buy it new. I find no real power needs with the EX when I put it into sport mode. The 5.7L hemi in a heavy truck is not that fast -- so I wouldn't worry about the power either way. Again, read my other post and test drive all of the options...

Reactions: JASmith

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 5.7L hemi in a heavy truck is not that fast -- so I wouldn't worry about the power either way.
Not that slow either though. Our truck is 395hp/5300lbs so ~13lbs/hp and the SX Turbo is 240hp/3700lbs so ~15lbs/hp a bit slower. On the highway I'd wager it balances out though since the truck has the aerodynamics of a barn door.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,510 Posts
Not that slow either though. Our truck is 395hp/5300lbs so ~13lbs/hp and the SX Turbo is 240hp/3700lbs so ~15lbs/hp a bit slower. On the highway I'd wager it balances out though since the truck has the aerodynamics of a barn door.
The truck is also geared higher for loads and pulling trailers. So the 0-60 times might look great but it is probably slower for passing. That said, I'd like to see how your truck handles around corners. If your only interest is getting up to speed on highway entrances, then there are much faster CUV's like the BMW X1. The CX-5 Turbo is also very quick and better handling. Again, test drive all of these cars. I come from a background of 400-500 hp Porsches so I do know speed and the EX is just fine for me on trips. If I want speed, I'll just use my sports car... You've got to set your priorities as there are a lot of very good cars out there. Audi's are extremely quiet -- much quieter than the SX if that is important to you. The Genesis GV-70 will also be very quiet. It isn't like years ago when some cars were very good and some very bad. Most of the cars in this category are quite good today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The truck is also geared higher for loads and pulling trailers. So the 0-60 times might look great but it is probably slower for passing. That said, I'd like to see how your truck handles around corners.
Other way around, trucks are usually geared lower if anything. My first old beater truck as a teenager you had to shift out of 1st gear at about 5mph, 2nd gear at 10mph, lol! Taller gearing is more efficient, but pulling a trailer you need torque multiplication of low gearing, but then again transmissions these days have massive ranges anyway. I wasn't implying a Ram 1500 is more sporty, I was just correcting the "slow" part, as a lot of people make that mistake and I've surprised some passengers when I punch it, heh! Almost 400hp is still a lot of power, even for a porker! :D But it has to go, the 16mpg mid-grade fuel requirement isn't fun at the pump (especially as it has a 32 gallon tank), and its just too hard to get into for our special needs passengers and we rarely tow these days making it wasteful.
If I want speed, I'll just use my sports car...
That's too much for our budget, we need a jack of all trades vehicle as insurance and depreciation and what not for multiple vehicles gets expensive, and we're trying to keep it around $30K range so we don't have to change our diet to canned corn and ramen noodles.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,510 Posts
Other way around, trucks are usually geared lower if anything. My first old beater truck as a teenager you had to shift out of 1st gear at about 5mph, 2nd gear at 10mph, lol! Taller gearing is more efficient, but pulling a trailer you need torque multiplication of low gearing, but then again transmissions these days have massive ranges anyway. I wasn't implying a Ram 1500 is more sporty, I was just correcting the "slow" part, as a lot of people make that mistake and I've surprised some passengers when I punch it, heh! Almost 400hp is still a lot of power, even for a porker! :D But it has to go, the 16mpg mid-grade fuel requirement isn't fun at the pump (especially as it has a 32 gallon tank), and its just too hard to get into for our special needs passengers and we rarely tow these days making it wasteful.

That's too much for our budget, we need a jack of all trades vehicle as insurance and depreciation and what not for multiple vehicles gets expensive, and we're trying to keep it around $30K range so we don't have to change our diet to canned corn and ramen noodles.
I get the sense that you like having the power under your foot and that's more important than slightly better ride comfort and mileage. If I have that right, you should go for the SX over the EX. You should not have any significant reliability problems with a NEW SX. Even with an older SX, reliability problems only affected a few percent of buyers, but I wouldn't even take that risk. It only costs a couple of grand more than the EX with tech package. Good luck...

Reactions: JASmith

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,693 Posts
You want the SX. I just sold my grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi. You will not like the EX, get the Turbo. My demo has the glass roof. you will be fine, it has a nice sunshade. Full length, and opens and closes with a push of a button. I have an EX with the tech package. We don't have any sx's here.
If you don't get any snow or do any off roading get the FWD SX.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SXL
50 Posts
People are not buying new as much nowdays. The dealers are hurting badly. Used cars sell quickly overpriced. Go in and beat them down on a new SX turbo. They'll drool over your truck, trucks are hot sellers especially in TX. That 1st truck you had was like my 84 F150 it had a granny 1st gear. I just used 2 nd to start off. You'll love the Turbo, It's got all the bells and whistles!

·
Registered
2021 Copper Nightfall Edition S 4G, 2,4L AWD
3 Posts

This is a comparison of all trim levels - it should answer what is different in that aspect https://www.kia.com/us/en/sportage/specs-compare - The EX and SX are the only two levels that offer ventilated seats, I have an S Nightfall Edition and it came with the Pano roof and has several features no typically offered on that trim level. I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a comparison of all trim levels - it should answer what is different in that aspect https://www.kia.com/us/en/sportage/specs-compare - The EX and SX are the only two levels that offer ventilated seats, I have an S Nightfall Edition and it came with the Pano roof and has several features no typically offered on that trim level. I hope this helps you.
Thanks, I hadn't ever seen that before, just built a nightfall premium on that page, and looks amazing, my favorite being the red or white pearl. :whistle:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
People are not buying new as much nowdays. The dealers are hurting badly. Used cars sell quickly overpriced. Go in and beat them down on a new SX turbo. They'll drool over your truck, trucks are hot sellers especially in TX. That 1st truck you had was like my 84 F150 it had a granny 1st gear. I just used 2 nd to start off. You'll love the Turbo, It's got all the bells and whistles!
So I'm trying to figure out what a fair price for a new 21 SX would be, and so Edmunds TMV build tool says in Houston that'd be $31,727 for a FWD version after haggling/destination fee/incentives/etc.

By contrast there is a used 2019 near me w/ 14K miles same config asking price $24K, but that's before haggling. If I could haggle down to $23K, seem worth it?

That's be $9K price difference.

·
Registered
2021 Sportage S 2.4 FWD
289 Posts
I would not bother with used... Check on warranty transferring to 2nd owner...
2500 rebate and dealer should give a 2500+ discount.... shouldn't have to have any dealer add ons either

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
1,084 Posts
So I'm trying to figure out what a fair price for a new 21 SX would be, and so Edmunds TMV build tool says in Houston that'd be $31,727 for a FWD version after haggling/destination fee/incentives/etc.

By contrast there is a used 2019 near me w/ 14K miles same config asking price $24K, but that's before haggling. If I could haggle down to $23K, seem worth it?

I've always thought buying new is best. My brother did get a great used Certified BMW which meant it had a full four year warranty with free oil changes.
If possible really take your time and shop, shop, shop.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,510 Posts

There is a small percentage of 2.0T's that had engine issues. I'm always a bit leery about buying a used car that's only a year or two old because those owners are selling them for a reason. If you KNOW why that car is being sold, it may be worth the risk. But very few people tell the truth when selling used cars. That's why "used cars salesmen" have such a bad rep.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,745 Posts
One of the two cars we own was bought used from a private seller.
The CarFax did not show its service history so I waited until the seller got printed copies from the dealership that did the servicing, and it confirmed the impeccable service history.

For some reason that dealership didn't report to CarFax.

With my tech skills I check the car out thoroughly, but it would have been a no-go if the service history wasn't available.

I prefer to to buy privately for a better deal, but would consider places like CarMax that have a no questions asked returns within the first month.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
621 Posts
I've bought used and I've bought new. Anymore, I buy new, I don't need someone else's headaches.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX-GDI
11 Posts
I purchased a used '17 SX turbo (from Kia dealer, certified) for my daughter's first car last year. Very impressed with the build/handling. The gas pedal has a hair trigger; takes getting used to. The mileage is horrible with this engine and AWD (20 MPG). Only two real gripes:
1. Doesn't have auto windshield wipers
2. Auto high beam needs to be re-enabled every time you drive at night by jogging the stalk forward.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
1,084 Posts
I purchased a used '17 SX turbo (from Kia dealer, certified) for my daughter's first car last year. Very impressed with the build/handling. The gas pedal has a hair trigger; takes getting used to. The mileage is horrible with this engine and AWD (20 MPG). Only two real gripes:
1. Doesn't have auto windshield wipers
2. Auto high beam needs to be re-enabled every time you drive at night by jogging the stalk forward.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I get 24 MPG and I have a heavy foot. Also use Sport Mode a lot and never Eco.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,510 Posts
I get 24 MPG and I have a heavy foot. Also use Sport Mode a lot and never Eco.
Mileage can vary greatly depending on where and how you drive. If you live in a city -- especially one with hills and lots of traffic signals -- your mileage will be low. I live in a flat area but make lots of short trips and not vary many longer ones. I have an EX without AWD and get about 24 mpg.

·
Registered
2018 sportage EX
12 Posts
Mileage can vary greatly depending on where and how you drive. If you live in a city -- especially one with hills and lots of traffic signals -- your mileage will be low. I live in a flat area but make lots of short trips and not vary many longer ones. I have an EX without AWD and get about 24 mpg.
you people have heavy feet. i have a 2018 EX FWD & average 30 mpg in the warmer months. once on a 150 mile trip on mostly flat highways, i got 35.8 on the round trip. i am sure if my son was driving my car, it would be less. he drives very eratic.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts