Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Soul Plus 2012
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, taking the Soul+ 2 lte auto in for the 12 month service, have done 2,300kl. The Kia dealer network has a standard charge of $270 for this service. Reading the service schedule the only items replaced are engine oil and filter, the other stuff is check battery, tires etc. Allowing $100 for hoist time, oil, and filter I guess I can write the rest of the $ as part payment on the 5 year warranty.
Can any one tell me why the auto transmission is not checked at this service [even the oil level] hell I can't even find the auto tran dipstick. I know there will be a simple answer for the tranny, probably throw it out when the oils gone.:cool:

Regards Peter

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Welcome to the $270 oil change. I think the first service is best done by KIA, supposedly they do "check" all those items and maybe they connect it up to a computer. I'm planning to have the rest of the services done by a reliable mechanic for about half the scheduled fee. Mechanic has been doing my other cars for some time. Most of the "check" items I do myself on a regular basis. I keep records of service, together with receipts for oil, filters (use KIA filters) and other consumables.

Transmission is probably the same as Cerato 6-speed auto. There's no dip-stick.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
here in Canada its about $200 for 12 months (but its just a guide to give you an idea of cost up front if you have everything done), but when I had it done, due to my low mileage they said a few things weren't necessary and also my oil changes are free so my charge ended up being around $40.
So talk to them, you may find that its flexible and check your owners manual for the maintenance and find out what is absolutely necessary.

Not sure on the Rio, but on my Soul the transmission is sealed, doesn't require any service unless you are under severe usage conditions then replace the fluid every 90,000 km but it could be different in Australia so check your manual.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,930 Posts
The most important thing to remember is "keep good records" of ANY service maintainence done...KEEP your receipts... If they are thermal printed keep them in a cool dark place as they degrade in sunlight and heat.
Having the regular maintainence by an "authorized" shop is OK BUT keeping records is MANDITORY for warranty purposes...Check to make sure the work was ACTUALLY done and ask for the old parts (keep them).
There is a guy in NYC that thought the shop he took his car to was doing good work...only to find out that they NEVER changed the oil or filters and only charged him for work not done... His engine died and KIA would not warranty it.
The shop closed it's doors and all records for the car's upkeep were lost..
If you have valid records and KNOW the work was actually done you and KIA will get along just fine...
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to the $270 oil change. I think the first service is best done by KIA, supposedly they do "check" all those items and maybe they connect it up to a computer. I'm planning to have the rest of the services done by a reliable mechanic for about half the scheduled fee. Mechanic has been doing my other cars for some time. Most of the "check" items I do myself on a regular basis. I keep records of service, together with receipts for oil, filters (use KIA filters) and other consumables.

Transmission is probably the same as Cerato 6-speed auto. There's no dip-stick.
So funny but true!
My daughter was just badgered for a 30k warranty due scam by a dealer...$270.

All that was needed was plugs/$8, air filter/$19 and gas air filter/oem$21....total of $50 ish....

the Car Manual is very clear what is needed to be done to maintain the warranty.

have it done, do it yourself, etc... keep the receipts and all should be ok.

the $270 oil change..sad.... My daughter paid $187 last time for a oil change (plus bs) and yesterday the dealer scam wanted $270...geeez

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, we had the first service done by KIA, mainly because my son had the car in a strange city and the dealership had a good reputation. Rang them to make the booking and spoke to "A Bloke" who seemed to know what he was talking about.

Next service has been quoted at a startling $450 and the only difference from the first service was brake fluid change (hardly necessary at 30,000km).

Australian advice on auto trans. is "no check/no fluid change" unless under severe conditions; then it's 100,000km.

·
Registered
Soul Plus 2012
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi took the Soul in for the service as I mentioned at the start of the thread. Following happened 9am booking, car was supposed to be ready just after 10 am. car sat in dealers yard untill 10.43 am when it was taken to the workshop, up on hoist at 11.38 am down from hoist at 11.48 am short test drive at 12.13pm cost $200+. How do I know the times, left the self supporting crash video camera going. My written questions re the Soul where never answered.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
As a matter of interest, what sort of camera were you using? Where was it mounted? I sometimes use a small camera in the car, but its battery is only good for about an hour.

·
Registered
Soul Plus 2012
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes your right about the short time run on batteries, I use a SMALL 12v 7amp sealed battery which is stored in the wet store bin. the camera is from China it designed as a car crash recording camera and mine is mounted through the high level brake light. gives a brilliant recorded video with time stamp, audio and still camera facility.Looks like oem and cost about $30.00 with cig lighter adaptor lead drops the voltage down to the camera's 5.5 operating voltage. Someone runs into you no fuse about who did what, all stored on the SD card. I still use a reversing camera which are available for the Soul for around $35 TAILOR made camera and 4 inch screen. Both cameras have been installed for 11 months and I cannot fault them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts