Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a newbie here, and would appreciate advice on high mileage 2006 Sedonas. I am looking at buying a 2006 Sedona EX with 188,000 kms (I live in Canada, 188,000 kms is approximately 117,000 miles) on it, and would like to know about the reliability of the transmission and engine. The body is excellent, all the electrics work, a/c and heat are good, the test drive felt good, and the asking price is $6000 Cdn. Anyone here have experience or an opinion on high mileage Sedonas? Any particular engine or tranny issues? Any info is appreciated. :)

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I purchased my first 2006 Sedona 2 years ago with 131,000 miles for $9000 US. I purchased another one a year ago with 199,000 miles. Currently they have 203,000 and 240,000 miles on them, respectively. The first one I purchased isn't a good measure of reliability because I greatly abused it delivering newspapers, and have replaced most of the powertrain. On the other van, everything is factory original and it runs fine at 240,000 miles.
-
With only 117,000 miles, I think you will get quite a bit of life out of the van, and that is a pretty good price. If I were presented that deal, I would have a hard time turning it down!!

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
496 Posts
I believe Greg is THE resident high mileage Guru on this forum! ;)

From what I understand, mechanically the Sedona is fairly durable, it's more likely you might encounter a few niggly electrical problems with the van.

Things like IPS Module relay failure, (AKA intermittent no crank/no start) which can be fixed at no real cost if you are handy with DIY.

Then there's issues with the sliding door actuator motors - that can be fixed cheaply for under $15 if you do the work yourself.

Air hoses can split and I think some folks get problems with the AC compressors but they seem to be generally very nice vehicles indeed :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
We bought a 2006 brand new, it's got just over 200K miles on it. Engine and transmission wise we have had zero problems with it. You'll see my post for a "whirring" noise but that is just because parts wore out (they were all original).

It's never left my wife stranded (I wouldn't dare be seen driving a minivan lol), and has been all over the country.

As said in previous posts, except for the snarky electrical issues ours has been reliable.

·
Registered
Sedona 07EX
13 Posts
I purchased my 07 EX (build 6/2006) new. Now 189,000 miles. Mostly trouble free despite my abuse (racing & winning pickups on mountain roads). Original iridium plugs. 1 change of Trans fluid. Problems minor. Don't buy cheap head light and fog light bulbs. Sun roof drains clogged. Stabilizer bushings clunk. Serpentine tensioner whine. All possible DIYer R&R stuff. No engine or trans problems. Clear coat peeling on plastic tailgate lip. I got lucky with this car!

·
Registered
2006 sedona lx
18 Posts
i wouldnt recommend the 06. it seems that year was a new design from the previous years and there were a lot of bugs that needed to be worked out. we have had ours for 9 years and 80k miles and it has been in the shop probably 2-3 times a year for stuff that i -never- have had to replace on other cars (the problems are never anything simple like a spark plug or a fuel filter)

heres just a few of the memorable repairs i have had to do since we bought it. some were while it was under warranty some were after the warranty expired:
1. timing chain tensioner
2. power steering pump
3. rear lift gate latch broke, door wouldnt latch
4. throttle position sensor
5. air conditioner temperatur actuator (or whatever its called)
6. reoccuring air bag light illuminated, still cant diagnose
7. alternator
8. another alternator
9. valve coveer gasket (after they determined that is what was frying my alternators)
10. rotted air intake hose causing vaccum leak
11. rotted power steering fluid hose leaking

these are just the ones i remember. it really irks me too because i maintain and take care of my vehicle. we like the layout and styling of the kia much more than other brands but it just isnt worth the hassel.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 3.5, 2008 Kia Sportage 2.0, 2005 Kia Sportage 2.7
217 Posts
07 EX here and love it. Just drain and fill the tranny fluid and P/S fluid every 30,000 miles and annual coolant changes. Mine just clicked over 135,000 miles and still running strong with the wife and kids. She wants a new one! My iridium plugs were showing wear at 100,000 miles and you might as well change the O2s PCV valve while your in there. It is by far the best of the three vans I have owned. The 3.8 motor is darn near bullet proof! Front struts are the next maintenance item for me. Definitley recommend the sunroof drain cleaning if it has one.

·
Registered
09 Grand Carnival
62 Posts
Our '08 Grand Carnival is nearing 180,000 kms and aside from the usual servicing costs it has had no major issues. The only things that are of a concern at the moment are the rear shocks are shagged and the is a clunk from the steering rack.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
496 Posts
6. reoccuring air bag light illuminated, still cant diagnose
We had that just out of the blue and it was cured by getting a new battery!

The van was starting very well but the service department suggested the battery might be near the end of its life - got the battery tested at Advance Auto Parts and they said it was on the way out.

Replaced battery, dealer reset Air Bag Light and that was it cured...

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 3.5, 2008 Kia Sportage 2.0, 2005 Kia Sportage 2.7
217 Posts
I love my 07 EX. Only issues were a cracked intake hose that was popping lean codes at aroun 90,000. $50. Front sway bar links at around 95,000. Also, change you PCV if it has never been done. Mine was sticking and caused an oil leak in the valve covers. New PCV and snugged the bolts down and no more leak. Other than that, just the blinker bulb sockets need some manipulating(ground tab connection) to keep the bulbs from not working. Also, if you have the sunroof, watch the glass seam gasket(on the glass). Mine was just pulled back slightly and caused a leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts