Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,everyone i am thinking of buying a new kia sorento xt 2.5 diesel (manual) and i am worried about members comments on fuel consumption. At present i get 550 miles from one tank costing £35 from my mondeo diesel estate, but want to buy a sorento for its excellent ability to tow. Can anyone advise on fuel consumption amd mpg figures because i do around 300 miles a week to work and dont want to be putting £70 in everytime. help and advice please!!!!!!
:blush:

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
Hi

From what I've seen the fuel consumption problems are usually with the V6 petrol not the diesel. I've got the diesel and fuel consumption is fine, haven't done any exact figures but I'm sure I'm averaging around 30 mpg which is pretty good for such a heavy vehicle. I do live in a small town so most driving is open road around 60 mph (100 K speed limit). Hope this helps.

Cheers

Derek

·
Registered
79 Posts
This weekend I did 260 miles on roughly half a tank (40 litres, it's a big tank) mainly motorway at 70 - 85 mph with a/c operating. Mine is an '04 diesel auto and I reckon that consumption is okay for a heavy like the Sorento - towing is great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your comments. i am very tempted, the dealer is offering me £2000 off the list price of this new xt and its got every conceivable extra including sat nav. i am very tempted so watch this space!!!!!!! the mpg does worry me though, but your comments seem very favourable towards the sorento.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine is an (55)XS auto had it for about 3 months, previously XE auto for a year. I've given up worrying about the best mpg and just think of the worst which is about 23mpg towing. I think the best I could ever expect would be between 27-30mpg.

I think a second run to work car might be an idea to consider??
Second car cost / Sorento fuel = ??

Sorento as a tow car = great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by MCFC@Nov 27 2005, 09:53 PM
thanks for your comments. i am very tempted, the dealer is offering me £2000 off the list price of this new xt and its got every conceivable extra including sat nav. i am very tempted so watch this space!!!!!!! the mpg does worry me though, but your comments seem very favourable towards the sorento.

I too was tempted by the XT but did not like the tinted windows or the larger wheels. The problem with the wheels are that the spare is just the normal size so it can ony be used as a temporary spare. So I have just bought the XS.

Be careful as Kia are just inceasing their prices by 5%.

I too was concerned over the fuel consumption but as the Sorento seemed to be the best in all other spheres, especially for towing, I decided to take the plunge.

Luckily, it does not have a computer so I cannot sit there watching the fuel consumption figures and panicing :haha:

Whatever your decision, good luck.

Roger

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 05 EX, shiftronic, averages city/highway 35 km per gallon, I don't see how a fellow makes 30mpg, I measure this everytime I fill up my tank, so it's pretty accurate.

I think that the best you can get is 40 km per gallon.

Other than that, great deal. I had my very first 4WD experience and the guy who tow me out of it was really surprise by the performance of the Sorento once it got 4 wheel traction. He thought I wasn't going to be able to get my a... out of where I was stuck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That is correct, that's what I get in Costa Rica.

Avg speed: 110km/h
Windows closed, a/c on, 33-35 psi tires pressure.
Used to drive an average of 100km per day, most of it highway, however city part of the trip would be jammed, rush hours.

The best I've made: 37km/gal, all highway, about same speed, a/c on.

I don't know if you can get a better consumption deal these days for a better over all value.

·
Registered
79 Posts
An Imperial gallon is exactly 4.54609 litres.
A US (liquid) gallon is exactly 231 in³ (3.78541178 L).

Are we talking about the same measurements? I am using Imperial when I refer to mpg

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Hi all here's a link to an article in the Guardian which may be of interest to you;

Guardian article

I've been trying to tell everyone this for a long time but it may help others understand a little better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the 2.5 CRDI manual and it is undoubtedly one of the best cars in it's class. I get thirty to the gallon which for such a big and heavy car is quite impressive. If I were doing 300 miles a week commuting I would'nt even consider using my Sorento but would continue to use my rapidly depreciating mondeo. Lets face it how much are you going to get back for it? Ford Mondeos are known to Haemorrhage money faster than the Scottish parliament building :lol:

My advice is to go for the Sorento but keep your Modeo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
nice to see a fellow city fan on here
your question reguarding fuel consumption my sorento 2.5d xse manuel is dire on diesel i put £20 in at a time and im lucky if i get 100 miles out of that mainly town driving and to and from work
i recently went from manchester down to kings lynn and it used £70 worth of diesel, going to coventry costs me £40 and i stay at 70-75mph on the motorway
other than this the car is perfect never had to take it in for anything other than a service but on the other hand i phoned 4 kia dealerships in the gtr manchester area and was quoted from £123 right up to the dearest at over £200 i think kia should look into this and have a fixed priced menu service like quite a few manufactures have
but iam seriously looking at the new kia rio diesel but even that has gone up in price when first introduced it was the same price of the equivillant petrol engine but its now £500 dearer but it looks a cracking car
hth
nick

·
Registered
29 Posts
You guys really confuse me - how can you mix imperial with metric measurements. I average (town driving mainly) about 11.5liters p/100km (that it a metric measurement) and about 12.5l p/100km towing. (2.5 CRDi 2005 Shiftronic).
The car is quite heavy and I have manged to get over my paranoia over fuel consumption although I would be interested to hear what other METRIC results people get.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I average 8 km/li, mixed city and out-of-town driving (about half-and-half). Best I've done is 12 km/li, almost all out-of-town driving, cruising at around 110-120 kph, occasionally going up to 130-140.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts