Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo LX V6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are going to get a new Sorento in the next month or less and I'm confused on a few things and would like some advice.

We went to test drive one today and were clear that we're only looking right now. Salesman wasn't pushy at all.

He said that all they're getting in is 2013s now. Kia.com only allows you to build you own 2013, cars.com still allows you to build a 2012. Is this realistic? Is one year preferable over the other?

I'm not sure if we want the GDI engine or the regular I4. The booklet shows the GDI as optional on the LX. However, on kia.com it's only an option if you select the LX 4 AWD. On cars.com you still have to add the convince package to select the engine, but you can do it on the LX FWD. So, my question is would we have to only upgrade to convince package to choose GDI or also select the AWD as well?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
There's currently a $1000 rebate if you get the LX with the convenience package (GDI engine). You absolutely want the GDI over the stock I4 as it has more power and gets better gas mileage. I don't think AWD is required to get that in either trim level. We chose the V6 because it makes a big difference in day to day driveability and gets decent mileage if you're not flogging it all the time. I recently got 28.5mpg on a 200 mile highway run with our EX AWD w/V6....pretty good for a 2 ton vehicle. Around town, I get 19mpg and I average about 22 with mixed driving. You might increase that by 15-20% with the GDI, but that works out to be a vanishingly small savings unless you put a LOT of miles on your car.

Best,

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
The website is a bit confusing, but from what I've seen coming in, the non-GDI 2.4L is only available on FWD LX without the convenience package. If you get the convenience package, you get the GDI 2.4L, FWD or AWD. If the terrain where you live is fairly hilly or mountainous, or you routinely plan on hauling more than one person around, I'd get the V6 if you can afford it. It is more pleasant to drive, and in my area(Pittsburgh) with all the hills, the V6s tend to get the same or even better mileage on account that they don't need to work as hard.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX FWD 4cyl, Titanium/Black
65 Posts
I would recommend you drive the various engines first. I have the GDI4 and after 9 months think it is just adequate, I'd never settle for a less powerful engine; in fact I'm somewhat regretting not getting the v6.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I would recommend you drive the various engines first. I have the GDI4 and after 9 months think it is just adequate, I'd never settle for a less powerful engine; in fact I'm somewhat regretting not getting the v6.
I'd be shocked if anyone who drove the GDI and the V6 opted for the I4 unless they were on an extremely tight budget and wanted to save a few bucks up front. The gas savings is going to be negligible unless you're putting a substantial number of miles on it.

Best,

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd be shocked if anyone who drove the GDI and the V6 opted for the I4 unless they were on an extremely tight budget and wanted to save a few bucks up front. The gas savings is going to be negligible unless you're putting a substantial number of miles on it.

Best,

I never drove the v6 so I wouldn't be tempted, lol. I disagree that the pricing is negligible compared to the v6, the GDI4 was $2000 less and I get 20% better mileage than what v6 owners have posted to this site. If I was willing to go with a v6 I would have looked at several other vehicles and not sure I would have ended up with a Sorento.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I never drove the v6 so I wouldn't be tempted, lol. I disagree that the pricing is negligible compared to the v6, the GDI4 was $2000 less and I get 20% better mileage than what v6 owners have posted to this site. If I was willing to go with a v6 I would have looked at several other vehicles and not sure I would have ended up with a Sorento.
Like I said, unless you're on a tight initial budget, the savings on gas is pretty small. Let's say gas is US$3.50/gallon. Let's also say that the GDI avg mileage is 25mpg and the V6 is 22mpg (from Edmunds.com). Attached is a list of how much savings you get by driving the I4 over the V6 at varying annual mileages per year.

5000 $95
10000 $191
15000 $286
20000 $382

That's an inconsequential amount of money (at least for me) so I preferred to have the increased power/torque and towing capacity for an extra couple of grand up front. YMMV

Best,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Like I said, unless you're on a tight initial budget, the savings on gas is pretty small. Let's say gas is US$3.50/gallon. Let's also say that the GDI avg mileage is 25mpg and the V6 is 22mpg (from Edmunds.com). Attached is a list of how much savings you get by driving the I4 over the V6 at varying annual mileages per year.

5000 $95
10000 $191
15000 $286
20000 $382

That's an inconsequential amount of money (at least for me) so I preferred to have the increased power/torque and towing capacity for an extra couple of grand up front. YMMV

Best,

You make a great point, but should not assume that saving $2000 is based on a tight budget (which was not the case for me).

·
Registered
2007 and 2011 Sorento EXs
6 Posts
I have the EX V6 (2011) and drive in all kinds of situations. It took a while due to break-in, but I almost always nail 24 MPG on fill-ups. I have a friend who thought he'd do better with a 4cyl stick Sorento (2011) and he gets 21, maybe.. In fact he was shocked to see I got better MPG and power as well.
My Recommendation? Go V6. you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
The V6 AWD is the way to go if you can afford it. My hwy mileage @ 65-75 averages 26-27+ depending upon terrain after 5K break in. If you try either the I4 or GDI and normally carry some cargo/people, besure you try it that way (loaded) when you test it- particularily on inclines, merging trafic, etc., so you aren't later disappointed. The AWD feature comes in handy in the wet, on inclines and snow, with the power of the V6 being placed at all 4 wheels, traction is superb at all times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts