Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage LX Base
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Kia Sportage Base Model LX. I have upgraded the head unit and front speakers (disconnected rear speakers). I'm interested adding a subwoofer to my system. I'm considering going for something easy like a powered Rockford Fosgate 10" or 12" sub, but that would take up a lot of space in an already shallow trunk area. The other thing I'm considering is installing the subwoofer into the stock OEM subwoofer spot that's already in the trunk. I have no experience with that though and was wondering if someone here has already done this? If I go this route, should I build a custom super shallow box for the sub that will fit into the side panel? Am I going to be sacrificing a lot of SQ and volume on the sub compared to a cheaper, powered option like the Fosgate punch? Any insight or recommendations here would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,436 Posts
Five years ago I owned a Mazda 3 hatch and upgraded the audio using the factory head, Audiocontrol DQ-61 DSP, four speakers and a sub. Because of space, I went to a compact powered sub. I tried a few 8" powered subs and they were terrible. I found a Rockville (Chinese) 10" powered sub and it was very good and didn't take up hardly any room. If you are looking for blowing out people's ears, it won't work. but I'm fairly picky on decent audio, and this worked great if you just want a bit more boom and balanced sound. I've listed that item below and a couple of other, newer, items that may be of interest if you want to go down this path. These units will take both low level and high level inputs -- but I will always recommend low level if you cant. On your aftermarket head unit, you probably do have a sub out....

Good luck....

Reactions: Urbs

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
94 Posts
Something else to consider, u should use sound deadening mats or even fiberglass. Might be able to make the enclosure slightly bigger or even a 10" sub. U could also look for a 'free air' type sub. There are a lot of options but will require some work for a decent sounding sub for the stock location

1 - 3 of 3 Posts