Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sportage LX 2.4L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be an ongoing thread. Detailed photos and instructions will be used to show progress.

I purchased my Sportage 4/26/2021 and plann to put all of my equipment that was in my 2018 Soul, into my new ride. Equipment is as follows:

Audio Control LC2i Line Out Converter
(2) DD Audio SL710 slimline 10" subs
(2) DD Audio 6.5" midrange
DD Audio DM1000a 1000w RMS
Punch P200.2 (2006 model) 50x2 RMS
55ah AGM Battery
Utilizing enclosure from my Soul until I find time, and money, to build a Ported enclosure.

All will be installed utilizing the stock head unit (HU) and once the funds are available, I have a simple Kicker KISLOC that I will be tapping into the front speaker outputs behind the radio and, hopefully, adding one more amp to run the front stage upgrade. The plan is to mount this amp somewhere behind the radio, if there's room.

Follow along with me as I journey into the unknown so I can have system that will be LOUD AND CLEAR!!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Install pics

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Kia Cerato GT, 98 Nissan Skyline
3 Posts
Nice, I have a 2020 Cerato(forte) GT sedan im about to put in a DD 1500a and two Infinity Kappa 12" subwoofers in. Its cool to see the install pics of yours and i bet it sounds awesome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Considering that I only have The stock speakers in the front playing right now, it sucks! Hopefully I'll have time this weekend get my battery, amps, and wiring hooked up.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
42 Posts
This .... is gonna be awesome.

This is similar to the system I will be building. Following with bated breath.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All hooked up, bumping like a Big Dog. Sounds pretty good, although much tweeking/tuning is needed.

I still have a bit of tidying up to do on wires and my DD Audio amp went into thermal protect mode after about 45 minutes at full tilt (commute is 1.25 hours, one way) so my Basshead Problems begin, yet again 🤷🏼‍♂️

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah, getting a minor alternator whine in my rear door speakers, so I gotta get that figured out as well.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,572 Posts
Oh yeah, getting a minor alternator whine in my rear door speakers, so I gotta get that figured out as well.
You have a power wire running parallel to a speaker wire someplace. Common problem... I usually run my power wires down the middle of the car. Probably not a weak ground or you would hear it through more speakers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If that's what's causing it, I'll learn to ignore it cause I'm not pulling all the seats out to run anything down the middle of the car 🤷🏼‍♂️. It's barely audible with radio turned all the way down after adjusting gains and not audible at all with radio at volume of 2+ 😁

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage SX AWD
42 Posts
If that's what's causing it, I'll learn to ignore it cause I'm not pulling all the seats out to run anything down the middle of the car 🤷🏼‍♂️. It's barely audible with radio turned all the way down after adjusting gains and not audible at all with radio at volume of 2+ 😁
If you are running any wires (line level or speaker level) near the fuel pump you can get some whine as well. Fuel pumps emit a large amount of EMI.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't a clue as to where the fuel pump is for this vehicle. It's ONLY in the rear speakers and NOT subs, even though the signals are coming from the same device (LC2i), so that leads me to believe that it's, more than likely, a ground loop and that's going to be my first troubleshooting step, when I get time 😄

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,572 Posts
I haven't a clue as to where the fuel pump is for this vehicle. It's ONLY in the rear speakers and NOT subs, even though the signals are coming from the same device (LC2i), so that leads me to believe that it's, more than likely, a ground loop and that's going to be my first troubleshooting step, when I get time 😄
If the front speakers are attached to the same amp as the rear and do not have a whine (you said only the rear speakers), the chance of it being a ground loop is small because they share the same ground. That's why I believe it's EMI from a power wire running next to the rear speaker wires. You only have to look from the amp to where the left and right rear speakers separate. Once you have that, you should be able to find a path a few inches apart. You don't have to rewire the whole thing. If there is also whine in the front speakers, the diagnostic is different. I faced this a couple of times until I just started making sure the power wire was run separately. I've done this two ways -- down the center of the car and power wires on the driver's side and speaker wires on the passenger side. I've never had a whine since and I did install 9 speaker and 12 speaker plus sub system....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Front speakers are stock running off head unit, no whine. I found the issue to be the left side RCA cable (Stinger 8000 series) When unplugged, whine is gone. No whine in right. Unplugged until I get the replacement from Amazon Seller, but they're out of stock until 7/22 🤷🏼‍♂️.

I've also added 120mm Computer Fan to prevent DD Audio amp from overheating and going into protect mode. Has happened multiple times now after 30, or so, minutes of full tilt. We'll see if it does it in the morning during my 1.5 hour commute.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,572 Posts
Front speakers are stock running off head unit, no whine. I found the issue to be the left side RCA cable (Stinger 8000 series) When unplugged, whine is gone. No whine in right. Unplugged until I get the replacement from Amazon Seller, but they're out of stock until 7/22 🤷🏼‍♂️.

I've also added 120mm Computer Fan to prevent DD Audio amp from overheating and going into protect mode. Has happened multiple times now after 30, or so, minutes of full tilt. We'll see if it does it in the morning during my 1.5 hour commute.
Again, it may not be the cable, but where you've placed it... I've never heard of a whine being produced from a bad cable. Most likely the EMI is coming from where you placed the cable underneath the door sill. That was the exact same place it occurred on one of my Porsches. It certainly isn't a ground loop. By the way, your front speakers are the most important in your entire system and I would upgrade them and run them off of a good amp. The head unit amp isn't very good. When I've upgraded systems, I've always used the new 4 channel amp for the front and rear speakers and the head unit for the fill-in surround speakers. Besides, that means you aren't running your front speakers off of your DSP!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
1) There are NO RCA's ran anywhere other than on the amp rack.
2) There is no DSP, just an LOC. The Audio Control LC2i that is getting signal from stock rear speaker wire, tapped into at the pillars.
3) I am VERY much a cheapskate and I already had all of the equipment listed, other than the LC2i and Stinger 8000 Series RCA's.
4) All of the main equipment WAS installed, in a similar manner, in my 2018 Soul and I had not one issue with unwanted noise. The new RCA's and LC2i are the only differences.

When I get home from work today, I'll swap out the RCA's with a longer set I was using previously and I'm 99% sure that my whine will be gone 😁

Oh yeah, one more thing. The stock front speakers (components) in my Sportage are loud enough and clear enough for me, for now. I upgraded the rear ONLY because they were barely audible, even at full volume. 🤣

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
For those interested in my Audio Journey can check out my 2018 Kia Soul progress before I got this Sportage.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,572 Posts
1) There are NO RCA's ran anywhere other than on the amp rack.
2) There is no DSP, just an LOC. The Audio Control LC2i that is getting signal from stock rear speaker wire, tapped into at the pillars.
3) I am VERY much a cheapskate and I already had all of the equipment listed, other than the LC2i and Stinger 8000 Series RCA's.
4) All of the main equipment WAS installed, in a similar manner, in my 2018 Soul and I had not one issue with unwanted noise. The new RCA's and LC2i are the only differences.

When I get home from work today, I'll swap out the RCA's with a longer set I was using previously and I'm 99% sure that my whine will be gone 😁

Oh yeah, one more thing. The stock front speakers (components) in my Sportage are loud enough and clear enough for me, for now. I upgraded the rear ONLY because they were barely audible, even at full volume. 🤣
RCA's only go from the LC2i to the amp. Speaker wire goes from amp to the speakers. Any EMI will be for one rear speaker will be AFTER the wires separate -- not before. I generally don't like to pull the bass from the rear speakers unless I know they are getting the same signal as the front speakers. I don't have an LX/EX w/o tech so I don't know the case there. But in my EX with tech package, the full bass signal only goes to the front speakers and the rears are used for fill-in. As for the DSP, I mixed you up with someone else here -- sorry for that. I've listened to the LX sound system, and the front speakers are just not very accurate -- but I'm pretty picky about sound for the type of music I play.

I do understand what you are doing now, and basically you just want a lot more boom. I prefer my bass balanced so it sounds more like a concert hall. Again, this is individual preference and if it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. Check the wires close to the amp as that is where you have the largest power wires. Good luck.

Reactions: RsFKevSki

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I changed out the RCA's and no more whine. I, too, like a decent balance in sound, and I listen to ALL Genre of music, even classical, at times. My personal sweet spot is about 110-125db. I do like the boom, if the mood strikes. The only reason I haven't tapped the front yet is because I like having loud rear fill. Eventually, I'll tap that and add an amp to some quality components.

Stock, the rear speakers were barely audible, even at full volume and the dealership's service department stated they were working correctly 🤷🏼‍♂️ even though my son has the 2020 LX and his were 5 times louder. SMDH

1 - 20 of 20 Posts