Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just moved from the US to the UK with my 2005 Optima. I need to have a rear fog light installed, but don't want an AAFES hack lighting job done on my car (did it once, never again).

Does anyone know if the OS rear light assembly and headlight stalk from a Magentis can be fitted on an Optima and work properly?

Also, which half of the light assembly would be needed - the one on the trunk, or the outer one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima LX V6
79 Posts
Can you not buy a UK sec magnetistail light with a rear fog? I do not know why's there a need but must be a law to have a rear fog...Or do people drive backwards???:confused:

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
In Europe there are many narrow roads that were laid out hundreds/thousands of years ago (Roman roads) then later buildings were built around them so increasing the width is not an option.
When cars are parked at night they have low current draw parking/fog lamps that they turn on to warn coming cars there is another car "parked" at night. Also in England (UK) because it is an island nation fog is common and reduces visibility so fog lights have been required on the rear is for the other driver's safety.

We don't "think" that way because we have little fog, our inner city roads are much wider, and personal driveways are the "norm".
Dave

·
Registered
Kia Magentis , Ford Sierra's ,
5 Posts
The parking lamp law was abolished in the 1960's so its not a UK requirement now but you will need at least 1 rear fog lamp is on the right hand side of the car

If your lucky the wiring will be fitted but if its not there are quite a few scrap Magentis's available around the country to strip for parts .

Tbh i was suprised to read that you had imported your Optima over here , must have cost you quite a lot of money compared to the very low Uk value of the Magentis. But good for you

·
Registered
Kia Magentis , Ford Sierra's ,
5 Posts
If you intend on keeping your Optima here for a while look into giving it some serios rustproofing especialy inside the sills and box sections brake pipes . also remove the blocks which support the brake and fuel pipes and pack them with grease before refiting them .

My 2002 model wasnt looking too good underneath so ive removed as much surface rust as possible and given the whole underside a heavy dose of old engine oil and blown it over eveything except the brakes & exhaust , very messy for a few days ( parked it on the grass ) but should help the car last a lot longer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you intend on keeping your Optima here for a while look into giving it some serios rustproofing especialy inside the sills and box sections brake pipes . also remove the blocks which support the brake and fuel pipes and pack them with grease before refiting them .

My 2002 model wasnt looking too good underneath so ive removed as much surface rust as possible and given the whole underside a heavy dose of old engine oil and blown it over eveything except the brakes & exhaust , very messy for a few days ( parked it on the grass ) but should help the car last a lot longer
Thanks for the info - I'll look into that. BTW, I learned that the headlight stalk doesn't have the fog light switch for models earlier than 2006. For those, it's a separate switch, located near the dimmer for the dash lights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The parking lamp law was abolished in the 1960's so its not a UK requirement now but you will need at least 1 rear fog lamp is on the right hand side of the car

If your lucky the wiring will be fitted but if its not there are quite a few scrap Magentis's available around the country to strip for parts .

Tbh i was suprised to read that you had imported your Optima over here , must have cost you quite a lot of money compared to the very low Uk value of the Magentis. But good for you
Actually, I didn't have to pay any import fees, because I'm visiting forces. The assumption is that I will take it back with me when I leave...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts