Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This first question is similar to the question about adding the heated steering wheel question. Has anyone looked into the part number, price, and compatibility of buying the steering wheel with shift paddles and adding it to an existing 2013 SX Hatch? Can the paddles be ordered separately? I'm curious about it and not sure if I would take the plunge myself. I'm not sure how much I would actually use it.

On another note, has anyone tried correcting the shift up/down direction of their shiftronic (Sport mode) on the automatic? I guess they are just electronic switches. It would be nice to pull back to shift up. I really enjoy using the sport mode out on the highways and sometimes in the city.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
I dont want to sound like a jerk, but technically you can customize to any degree as long as you have the cash... that being said.... i doubt you could just ad paddle shifters without re-wiring the trans. I could be wrong as I have never looked to see, but I doubt its there.... unless there is somewhere else in the world they make the car that way.

For the sport mode, I agree as i would prefer the downpull being the upshift, but again, i am unsure of how "easy" it is to switch.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand where you're coming from. It would be nice to be a 1 Percenter... ;) I was curious is anyone tried it. Perhaps the harness is already there for more recent 2013 North American SX models. Similar to how some have found for harness for the heated steering wheel in their lower trim. The production date on mine would indicate that it should have come with paddles and it might just have the harness. The U.S. site clearly indicates the 2013 SX as having paddles. However Kia Canada doesn’t list this feature and the Canadian SX models seem to be hit or miss.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds like alot of work, Personally I used the paddles once and they didnt impress me. The car is not that powerful and when you try and make it feel more zippy than it is, it can be a bit disappointing IMO.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Junkman, it was more curiosity than anything. I was also curious for feedback from someone who had them. Thanks for that. For the Canadian market, I believe only the Optima is listed as featuring them. In my research, and sitting in them, it appears the current Rio and Optima share the same wheel.

Also based on the price I saw in another thread for someone looking to install the heated wheel, $500, I couldn't justify the cost over usage. I barely use the sport mode and would probably use the paddles once or twice over the life of the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,507 Posts
Thanks Junkman, it was more curiosity than anything. I was also curious for feedback from someone who had them. Thanks for that. For the Canadian market, I believe only the Optima is listed as featuring them. In my research, and sitting in them, it appears the current Rio and Optima share the same wheel.

Also based on the price I saw in another thread for someone looking to install the heated wheel, $500, I couldn't justify the cost over usage. I barely use the sport mode and would probably use the paddles once or twice over the life of the vehicle.
That was my reply about the heated wheel. That was a USA price for the new wheel. We all know EVERYTHING is MORE money in your country.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was my reply about the heated wheel. That was a USA price for the new wheel. We all know EVERYTHING is MORE money in your country.
Yeah, don't get me started on that. Thankfully I have my ways for getting the U.S. price on stuff. Having family in the U.S. helps. ;)

I love when companies use the transportation excuse, well we have to carry your product further North... Oh, is that so, then why are your digitial distribution prices higher too, must be hard carrying all of those bits and bytes in those larges trucks. I couldn't imagine the fueling costs. (LOOKING AT YOU AMAZON, SONY, MICROSOFT!!!)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
Mines a Canadian 2013 SX and doesnt have paddle shifters... not sure why some do and some dont thats weird....

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX
5 Posts
yeah my SX came with the paddle shifters and only use them when I feel like having fun and then again it doesn't make it that much quicker just kinda fun to play with

·
Premium Member
2012 Rio5 SX Navi and 2008 Sorento LX
36 Posts
yeah my SX came with the paddle shifters and only use them when I feel like having fun and then again it doesn't make it that much quicker just kinda fun to play with
Do you have the heated steering wheel too?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I think it's a trade off. Heated steering wheel OR paddle shifters. I've yet to see ANY Kia wheel that had both. I seem to remember someone with an old-style Optima that switched the Sportmatic to pull back for upshifts on You Tube a while ago. I will see if I can find the video.
-
EDIT: Found it! Reversed Shifter on my '04 Optima EX V6 - YouTube
It was a 2004 Optima...I would imagine the basics of the Sportmatic system would be the same now as they were then, and that reversing it would be doable.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Shift direction for manual mode is a perennial problem. I actually prefer "Pull back to change down", but pushing forward to change up doesn't seem intuitive. I also must admit that I got it wrong last time I drove the Cerato.

No matter how cute the paddles might be, they really won't make KIAs drive like an F1.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts