2012 Kia Sportage LX
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage AWD, 2010 Kia Soul 2U
3 Posts
There is sticky for this subject. That is probably the same unit that is all over ebay for about the same price.

From what I have read, all the controls work, but the software is buggy. IMHO the actual UI is pretty ugly and makes the whole thing look cheap, but still the functionality is probably there.

Apparently the tuner is a little weak as well.

Here is the thread:

http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/64326-after-market-navi-radio-dvd-bt.html

(I've been a lurker on here for a while)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I can't say I have any personal experience with that unit, but I can tell you this much; you get what you pay for. Either wait and save up for something that isn't crap, or keep your eyes open for someone selling a good unit used at a good price.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called my Kia dealer just to see what the factory sat nav unit costs and they told me it was impossible to install it into an LX with stock radio.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think it has something to do with the antenna.

That said, you don't have to go with factory nav, just don't buy a piece of crap. It will take a dump on you and you will end up either buying another one or wising up and buying a real unit anyway, either way it would be a waste of $400. Save up another $200-400 and get something nice by a company people know of.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could be wrong, but I think it has something to do with the antenna.

That said, you don't have to go with factory nav, just don't buy a piece of crap. It will take a dump on you and you will end up either buying another one or wising up and buying a real unit anyway, either way it would be a waste of $400. Save up another $200-400 and get something nice by a company people know of.
Yeah, but I'm trying to keep the functionality of all steering wheel controls. I really like using the phone buttons and would hate to lose them.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Yeah, but I'm trying to keep the functionality of all steering wheel controls. I really like using the phone buttons and would hate to lose them.
So how much do you trust the dealer? I admit, I don't know much in terms of the navi unit being plug&play. I can tell you think much, every other car I had, you can get an adapter for aftermarket units that lets you use the steering wheel controls. Usually for less than 100 bucks. Depends on the head unit you buy.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_...s-vehicle-manufacturer-compatibility-kia.html

Now, I never bought the adapter because it wasn't that important to me, the head unit is right in front of you. I still reach out even with the controls on the wheel to this day, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts