Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just got an 08 Kia Sedona this weekend, it is the short wheelbase model and did not come with a roof rack at all. Part of my deal was that they would sell me the rails for cost. This morning when i went to get the part numbers for the rails, the parts department person (at local Kia dealer) said that it is not possible to add rails to a vehicle that did not originally come with them, they have to be installed at the factory. I searched the internet and this forum and the only thing related I could find was someone on this forum saying his dealer in Nova Scotia wanted $2000 to do the instal.

Does anyone know if they can be added on after the fact for sure? Has anyone done it before? Is there any after market options? I was going to start calling junk yards to see if I could find one used, just wanted to see if it was possible first...

thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi LeeBo,

I removed the rails on my Carnival prior to a roof paint job. The screws fixing the rails go into some welded-in nutplates which are placed in the same groove in the roof as the black alu trim strips ending at the windscreen. The strips need to be pulled off. They were quite difficult to remove from my car and a couple of the plastic clips securing them broke. :mad:
If there are nut plates (7-8 on each side as I remember) you should be good to go. If the alu strips are running as continuous pieces from fwd to aft then you propbably need to cut them in three pieces and leaving out the middle to allow the rails to go into place. I've attached some fidly pictures of the arrangement on my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
filipowja, thank you very much for the explanation and pictures. I guess my next step is to see if the nuts are there under the strips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not really related, but years ago I bought a station wagon (pre-minivan era) that did not have a roof rack. I wanted one, so bought the factory rack & installed it myself. It used blind threaded alloy inserts that you drilled a hole for, then tightened down with a temporary screw which expanded the inside, making a waterproof tapped hole in the roof. Kind of like a large pop-rivet, except threaded & closed on the back side. Worked well.

My real point is that you did not say what you intend to carry. If bikes, a trailer hitch is a much easier & cheaper installation. Also a trailer hitch will take a small cargo rack too, & does not need to be wired for these uses. I would suggest that you research the gas mileage lost by carrying bulky items on a roof rack. (like a camping trip) It's pretty significant on the highway. If I had known what it would cost to actually use it, I probably would not have gone to the trouble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the input Lacon, that is what I am doing right now. I am trying to get the dealer to get me a reciever hitch for cost instead of the roof rack. I read about how the racks whistle in the wind and cause drag. It would be used for luggage the couple times a year we would travel with all the seats installed in the vehicle.

Thank you for the help with this.

LeeBo

·
Registered
09 Grand Carnival
62 Posts
Have a factory roof rack fitted to my Grand Carnival (Sedona) and there is no issues with whistling. We leave the cross bars fitted at al times even though we only carry a roof pod a couple of times a year even though two screws on each will remove them. I know as soon as I take them off I will need to carry something that wont fit inside the van.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts