Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes i know there is a Sticky on this topic. I'm just having a hard time finding a final answer to my questions.

From what I can tell, the DDM Tuning HID's seem to be the most popular. They are also the best priced.

If someone can link or tell me exactly what I need to add HID's to my 2011 Sorento, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm just looking for a plug & play kit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
lol.. too bad i have already distributed my variety of h11 hid kits.. here it goes.. ddm was one of the better ones the plug and play before.. best whitest color in our projectors

order the following in the drop down menu in their website..

55w slim hid ballast
8000k hid bulb- they are not blue in our projectors i promise...
h11 relay harness..

but if you want close to oem performance, pm me i will send you a link.. or i can order one from my friend in china (where i ordered my retro. stuff) .. it was 70$ i think.. but it starts up fast and full brightness in 3 sec.

to moderators: im not endorsing or profiting just spreading the word about a better performing hid i discovered for the longest time of research..

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is this the H11 Relay harness you are talking about?

Also, how come I would choose 35W over 55W? Sorry, i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this as you can probably tell haha

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
its just brighter, there should be no glare our stock projectors handles hid well.. 35w is ok, but if you want a little wider and can see further then the 55w.. 5000k is the best visbility wise but it seems it was ok with 8000k at 55w.. 5000k is just yellow for me specially in 55w. i combined looks and light usability.. 6000k in 55w looks 5000k almost, very little hint of yellow in the sorento's projector..
in hid plug and plays.. it drops down to about/close to 1000k color everytime you go to 55w (the lower the kelvin rating the yellow it gets, the higher the kelvin rating, the bluer it gets)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its just brighter, there should be no glare our stock projectors handles hid well.. 35w is ok, but if you want a little wider and can see further then the 55w.. 5000k is the best visbility wise but it seems it was ok with 8000k at 55w.. 5000k is just yellow for me specially in 55w. i combined looks and light usability.. 6000k in 55w looks 5000k almost, very little hint of yellow in the sorento's projector..
in hid plug and plays.. it drops down to about/close to 1000k color everytime you go to 55w (the lower the kelvin rating the yellow it gets, the higher the kelvin rating, the bluer it gets)
Oh I see now. I attached a picture of the Harness that I think you're talking about. The one that says Dual in-Dual out. What does that exactly do?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
dont forget to aim, on level ground, turn on low beam at 25 ft from the wall, the cut off should be 2 inches lower compared to the sorento's projector height from the ground.. (measured by from middle of projector to the ground) or you can get as close to the wall about 5 iches from wall, mark the cut-off line, then back-up 25 ft and cut-off line should be adjusted to 2 inches below the first mark you made..

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Oh I see now. I attached a picture of the Harness that I think you're talking about. The one that says Dual in-Dual out. What does that exactly do?
its suppose to have two trigger wires (normal is the one closest to the battery... with dual in dual out, you will have trigger wires on both sides.. its optional but not necessary...
trigger wires are attached to your bulb sockets... its where the relays gets the signal that your low beams are on then relay will get power from your battery instead of the stock wirings/bulb sockets to ignite your hid bulbs.. this avoids stress in the wirings.. hope this helps..

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its suppose to have two trigger wires (normal is the one closest to the battery... with dual in dual out, you will have trigger wires on both sides.. its optional but not necessary...
trigger wires are attached to your bulb sockets... its where the relays gets the signal that your low beams are on then relay will get power from your battery instead of the stock wirings/bulb sockets to ignite your hid bulbs.. this avoids stress in the wirings.. hope this helps..
Thanks for all the great info! Hopefully I will have these ordered next week. I don't do a crazy amount of night time driving so I'm just going to go for the 8000K 35W setup.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
ok, you will notice a blue hint on your hid in 35w..

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
582 Posts
Ken, where can we buy 4000mF and up capacitors (to eliminate flickering of lights)?

As I understood in the sticky thread regarding HIDs, what you need for the best, easiest and error-free HID installation would be to buy canbus kit, relay harness and capacitors on both ballast.

Am I right? I'm also planning to order from DDM a week from now.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Ken, where can we buy 4000mF and up capacitors (to eliminate flickering of lights)?

As I understood in the sticky thread regarding HIDs, what you need for the best, easiest and error-free HID installation would be to buy canbus kit, relay harness and capacitors on both ballast.

Am I right? I'm also planning to order from DDM a week from now.
i ordered my capaitors in retro-sollutions,. canbus ballast is not needed... just the hid kit relay harness and capacitors.. in the sx, yeah i needed to put one because they flicker when you accelerate and step on the brakes.. canbus doesnt even work.. adding capacitors do..

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
I was think about a HID upgrade but, I put some H11 PIAA in today. Nice looking. ;)
That's a lot of money just for bulbs that won't last much more than a year...word of advise as I went down that road before keep your receipt, when it gets close to the year burn out a bulb bring it back and then get a replacement...then SELL them on eBay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts