Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SLI 2012
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Sorento SLI and I have installed driving lights on the nudge bar. The issue I am having is getting them to only come on with high beam and off when you dip the lights to low beam. I am unable to find the switch wire for the high beam so this works correctly. I am using a proper driving light wiring kit with a relay. Obviously this is possible as there is many photos of Sorento's with them and I am sure people don't have them on all the time or just for show. I have been trolling this and other forums for the answer to this question but so far have had no success at finding any info. I have also checked over the Kia wiring diagrams and tested all wires to the headlights to try and find the one that powers on with high beam but have been unable to find the correct wire.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento LX AWD, 2013 Kia Soul +
16 Posts
I simply ran mine to a switch that I controlled from inside the car. I know that doesn't help you and wanting to wire yours to the high beams but figured I would put my two cents worth in. If you look at my profile I have quite a few lights installed around my Sorento. I found that by NOT wiring them to the high beams I could run my spot lights during heavy fog to cut through, where if they were wired to the high beams I woul dhave to use them then and the high beams scatter too much light.

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
Just attaching the wire to the high beam + will do as you want, as you know...as to WHICH wire is that, try taking a wire tester (the one that looks like pliers or a needle) unplug the light connector and test each wire.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SLI 2012
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies, I will give it a go as soon as I get a chance. I should be able to identify the high beam wire from the wiring diagram I have. I'll let you know how I go and what colour wire it turned out to be.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SLI 2012
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Head Light Connectors.jpg

Head Lights Wiring Diagram.jpg I managed to get the driving lights turning on and off with the high beams after hooking the sense wire up to the correct wire in the head light loom. I have attached the wiring diagram and connector pictures that I used to find the correct wire to this post for anyone that is interested. If you look at the wiring diagram and pair it with the connector picture the high beam wire is on pin two of the connector. This turned out to be the orange wire in the loom. I forgot to take some pictures before I tidied up the cabling so can't show the final hook up.
Thanks again for the replies to my post and I hope the info I found helps someone else that is having the same troubles that I had.

·
Registered
2015 Sedona EX - Premium Package w/ 61k miles
742 Posts
Imo, be careful guys not to overload the line.. Happy wiring..

·
Registered
2010 XM Sorento Platinum CRDI auto
6 Posts
Hi guys.
Just fitted a pair of Narva 175 combo lights to my 2010 Platinum 2.2 diesel auto Sorento. Legal requirements in NSW i believe require a kill switch on the dash somewhere. My lights came with a standard cheapo switch which i fitted as per photo and switches the high beam earth, although the Narva wiring diagram switches the HB active. There is a small area on the lower dash beside the fuse cover where a switch can be mounted and accessed without too much trouble. I managed to thread the twin wires for the kill switch (red / black) out of the cabin through the grommet for the hood release cable over on the far right of the firewall to save drilling a hole or interfering with the main wiring loom. I then ran the wires across the firewall/bulkhead and alongside the engine compartment fuse box to the relay mounted to the front plastic sill.
The active wire (pin 2 as indicated above) from the HB loom in my vehicle is the brown wire. I also used a waterproof inline fuse module from the battery positive with a 20 amp fuse to the relay. I made a separate light bar for my lights to place them wider and a little further back than the factory nudge bar mounts and earthed each light on the mount.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts