Kia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 2019, EX V6 Premium AWD
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Agree. But I am not the only person who works on those two things (speed limiter and LKAS). There is a guy who already got a positive experience with changing eeprom to activate speedlimiter on an instrument cluster but it was for Sorento with diesel engine. As for LKAS to be activated you just need to mark a tick box.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
816 Posts
Good luck with it and please let us know how it goes. Always interested in people looking for new ways to do things. Plus, I have a feeling, there will be a huge market in repairing these systems down the road. The cost of the safety electronics in a fully loaded new car now outweigh the cost of a brand new long block engine and it's only going to get worse. For someone who understands how these systems are installed, how they work, what computer changes to make, will stand to make a fortune in repairing them. The days of shops rebuilding engines and transmissions, doing tune-ups and adding performance parts are now a thing of the past, now it's all computers.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L GDI V6 - FWD (Sparkling Silver)
283 Posts
ECU and Instrument cluster support all the features that were designed for the top trim but the difference is some features might be disabled for the lower trims.
I find that hard to believe, my LX does NOT have the same instrument cluster as the highest trim. Mine has the basic analog cluster and roll-up windows (almost), but is still more than enough for me.

If taking your hands off the wheel is your main objective, then why don't you invest $1000 and get a full self-driving setup powered by Android, there are videos on YouTube showing the openpilot in comparison to Tesla's auto pilot, and it's actually not bad at all. But I suggest you take out a decent life insurance policy before you do that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
.... But I suggest you take out a decent life insurance policy before you do that.

:))) that's why. It's a third party solution which wasn't designed end tested with a specific car. Only God knows how it's gonna work in conjunction with OEM electronic components.. It's not safe.

And btw lkas is not an auto pilot it's just helps to save drivers in case if they change the lane not intentionally.. Like losing an attention or falling a sleep. It's not about taking your hands off the wheel it's a safety feature.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,398 Posts
I pity the poor soul who purchases this vehicle after the OP dumps it into the open market after slicing and dicing the electrical system and corrupting the control software......just because you can do something doesn't mean you should......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I pity the poor soul who purchases this vehicle after the OP dumps it into the open market after slicing and dicing the electrical system and corrupting the control software......just because you can do something doesn't mean you should......
So you always have a choice to buy another vehicle. This topic is about how to do it but not about what you should do or shouldn't. If you don't like it, just ignore this topic and if there is nothing you can help with please stop flooding especially if you have no idea what you are talking about.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,922 Posts
A reminder, play the ball and not the man - keep it civil and refrain from personal attacks - if you have no interest in the subject, move on.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
436 Posts
Tell me more about a speed limiter. Applies the brakes or just beeps ? I don't want either.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Tell me more about a speed limiter. Applies the brakes or just beeps ? I don't want either.

It limits your maximum speed. Protects you from being speeding accidentally. It doesn't apply brakes it simply doesn't allow you to pass the limit you set by reducing engine power even you press gas pedal.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX+ 3.3L V6 (red)
364 Posts
View attachment 114261

It limits your maximum speed. Protects you from being speeding accidentally. It doesn't apply brakes it simply doesn't allow you to pass the limit you set by reducing engine power even you press gas pedal.
That seems very unsafe. What if you had to suddenly speed up past the limit in order to avoid being involved in an accident?

Reactions: theToucan

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,886 Posts
Or during passing maneuvers, where we pretty much all tend to be over the limit briefly in order to execute the pass in the shortest amount of time?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,'11 Dodge Journey AWD,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,512 Posts
Well, From the pic in post # 29 the speed limiter can be set at any speed. Therefore there must be some kind of cancel switch just like a cruise control for such maneuvers posted.

I've been reading along from the start, and been quiet till now...
But I've got to say that many makes are using this "gadgetry" now, and as of yet have not figured out how to keep the sensors "on line" when dirt or snow/ice covered. Seems to me in the real world of the Northeast USA a costly waste of money. And I still prefer to drive my vehicles and NOT the other way around.
For all you "Tech" and "safety" aid folks, if that's what you want then go for it. I just hope that all that stuff does NOT become Gov't mandated to have like so many other "safety nannies" already found in our vehicles of the last few years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It's safe. Please keep in mind all the features I am talking about here have been designed and thoroughly tested by KIA. This is not something that somebody invented, programmed and implemented. All you do is just enabling the feature, you are not changing the code, algorithm and etc. If you have to suddenly speed up you hit the gas to the bottom (kick down). If you do that the speed limiter will be turned off automatically.

But I am not going to enable it for my car anyways since I found recently that this feature is available for diesel and 2.4 gasoline engines. It is not gonna work with 3.3L V6 .

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,'11 Dodge Journey AWD,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,512 Posts
Yes, I've understood the basis of the wanted "add on" and enabling of the main computer(IF the programs ARE already in it).
I am not against them being available (OE or "add on"). I just feel it should remain an OPTION to the buyers preference and NOT mandated to be there and used.
I've not been driving THAT long, but can still remember when fr9ont seat belts were an OPTION! And definitely had to deal with folks complaints about still getting into trouble braking with the 1st generations of ABS not helping while in curves and such.... they were set up for straight line braking!
Now we have had traction control, stability control, reduced engine power when these engage, and a host of other things people are still trying to master.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD 3.3 V6 USA
53 Posts
I once rented a brand new Suburban with Lane Assist. I was driving from Pittsburgh to Florida and on a nice straight stretch of road must have been going 85-90. When all of a sudden a small brown dot appeared on the road as I get closer and at that speed I realize it’s a baby deer walking across the lanes. In a panic I try to switch lanes without the turn signal and damn this thing fight me to keep me in that lane! All I was thinking was #%*^ my insurance is not going to like me crashing this 70,000 vehicle! And no matter what size of animal and at that speed it’s going hurt! Thankfully with enough muscle I was able to avoid it. I then made sure to reduce my speed! So not a big fan of this kind of technology. I’m glad my Sorento only has the beeping blind spot detection. I can’t stand it’s stupid snowflake icy road light!

·
Registered
SORENTO EX, 2014
43 Posts
I want this. And when the time comes, I will get it. Just not a DIY guy (cue Laurel & Hardy theme music).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I postponed this project until I find an used LKAS camera for my car. The new one is too expensive.
The camera must be from the same year model. In my case the camera from Sorento 2019 and 2020 should work since they have identical part number. The theory of how to get it done is learnt so only things left is to find a camera and make it! :)

·
Registered
2019 Sorento AWD V6 EX-Sangria with stone beige leather
92 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have my Sorento 2019, EX V6 Premium which doesn't have LKAS, Smart cruise and more.
I found some info of how to add some of them into our cars but looking for more technical information.
The first two systems I am thinking about would be speed limiter and LKAS.

Speed limiter is a part of cruise control but it can limit the maximum speed to prevent you pass this value accidently. Installation is easy, if I am able to implement it I will post how to.
LKAS is more complicated one. For this feature LKAS camera, new switches are needed as well as a wiring diagram. None of them except new switches I can find. There is always an option to buy new LKAS camera but it's the most expensive one and not preferable. The used one I found is for Sportage only. Not sure if it is going to work. But if I find wiring diagram I will figure it out.

So if any of you have a wiring diagram for KIA sorrento 2019-2020 I would really appriciate if you shared it with me.
My 2019 EX V6 AWD has both LKAS and smart cruise among many other things. The car has no added options other than floor mats and cargo net (per the window sticker).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I know that many of you do not like this idea but I finally did it. I have OEM LKAS installed in my car.. Works as a charm.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts