Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 2019, EX V6 Premium AWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I have my Sorento 2019, EX V6 Premium which doesn't have LKAS, Smart cruise and more.
I found some info of how to add some of them into our cars but looking for more technical information.
The first two systems I am thinking about would be speed limiter and LKAS.

Speed limiter is a part of cruise control but it can limit the maximum speed to prevent you pass this value accidently. Installation is easy, if I am able to implement it I will post how to.
LKAS is more complicated one. For this feature LKAS camera, new switches are needed as well as a wiring diagram. None of them except new switches I can find. There is always an option to buy new LKAS camera but it's the most expensive one and not preferable. The used one I found is for Sportage only. Not sure if it is going to work. But if I find wiring diagram I will figure it out.

So if any of you have a wiring diagram for KIA sorrento 2019-2020 I would really appriciate if you shared it with me.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento EX+ V6 AWD
190 Posts
i think the 2019 and 2020 are not the same, i have a 2020 EX+ and i have the LKAS and the adaptative cruise control, you will have to install the radars on the bumper, the camera in the front and a lot of bells and whistles, you will have to put the radars at the same exact place and tune everything, maybe you will have to program some things in the firmware wish you good luck !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think the 2019 and 2020 are not the same, i have a 2020 EX+ and i have the LKAS and the adaptative cruise control, you will have to install the radars on the bumper, the camera in the front and a lot of bells and whistles, you will have to put the radars at the same exact place and tune everything, maybe you will have to program some things in the firmware wish you good luck !
I've already made a research with pretty deep dive.
I found couple of articles for LKAS installation on Sportage and pretty sure that the process for Sorento is going to be similar.
I know exactly what the components need to be installed and what should be done.

Adaptive cruise is not only about the radar if it was it wouldn't be a big deal to install if you have experience with car repair.
The issue is you need to install new ABS pump. Installation itself is not as complicated from the technical perspective but this is a change in brake system which will affect the warranty for sure.
I am not going to implement this feature due to this reason as well as the cost. Doesn't worth it.

LKAS is just a camera behind interior mirror and new switches on a dash.
If you check part catalog you will find that the parts for 19 and 20 are identical at least for LKAS and adaptive cruise control.

If I am not mistaken Sorento 2018 and older have never had LKAS but they have Lane change warning system which is different.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento EX+ V6 AWD
190 Posts
Why we have the same Sorento but not the same year and i have all the packages you want to install ? Clearly there is a difference between them. And the adaptative cruise work with the radars on the bumper, i got a notification that the LKAS and the adaptative cruise was not working because of the snow on the bumper, as i said good luck for install all this you will need it !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because of different trims. That's why. 2019 top version also has everything..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have a EX premium like your 2019
Doesn't matter. It's just a marketing and how they call the packages and combine the features. For 2019 model they used to offer more packages than for 2020. For 2020 they eliminated some and combine the others..But from technical perspective there is no difference. For example your car comes with second row seat heater mine doesn't. But 2019 SX packages is equipped with this option. In terms of wiring and all the components you need for this feature there is no difference between 19 and 20 model years. Teh only difference is the package name. It's the same car with the same wiring, same electronic components and blocks. No difference at all.

The key point every Hyundai or KIA vehicle is pre-ready to go with all the features. That means that all main components and main parts of the wiring and cabling system are already in place. So to activate one or the other option all you need is to install additional electronic component that corresponds to that particular feature.
ECU and Instrument cluster support all the features that were designed for the top trim but the difference is some features might be disabled for the lower trims. To enable them you need to re-program the car which is not that hard with a proper tool. And second you have to install electronic or mechanical components which correspond for the particular feature you want to enable. For example, LKAS. Instrument cluster is able to display it even on my car and even my car doesn't have this feature installed. This option is simply turned off on my car. I can enable it but I will get Christmas lights on the dash since car will try to find all the components it needs for the feature and once it doesn't find it will give errors. But if I install the appropriate components it will get a new feature activated. The good thing is it is going to be OEM feature and it will work with exactly the same logic, algorithm and functions as it should and as it was designed on the factory.

Sorry if what I said is not clear and confusing. English is my second language.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
620 Posts
"Doesn't matter. It's just a marketing and how they call the packages and combine the features. For 2019 model they used to offer more packages than for 2020. For 2020 they eliminated some and combine the others..But from technical perspective there is no difference."

Are you 100% certain of this? Have your examined the actual engineering specifications? Or, are you making general assumptions... If your not 100% sure, you may be going down a path that will lead to an accident and personal injury.
If such an accident should occur, you would be liable for the damages.....
If down the road you sell this vehicle and your retrofit fails, and causes personal injury, you may not be made aware of the accident, but morally you are liable, if you get my drift.

These types of systems should not be tampered with by the 'general public' as they pose a possible safety threat to the public and yourself.

If your that cranked up about having these features on your vehicle; go trade your vehicle in and purchase one that is properly equipped from the factory.

My 2 cents......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
"Doesn't matter. It's just a marketing and how they call the packages and combine the features. For 2019 model they used to offer more packages than for 2020. For 2020 they eliminated some and combine the others..But from technical perspective there is no difference."

Are you 100% certain of this? Have your examined the actual engineering specifications? Or, are you making general assumptions... If your not 100% sure, you may be going down a path that will lead to an accident and personal injury.
If such an accident should occur, you would be liable for the damages.....
If down the road you sell this vehicle and your retrofit fails, and causes personal injury, you may not be made aware of the accident, but morally you are liable, if you get my drift.

These types of systems should not be tampered with by the 'general public' as they pose a possible safety threat to the public and yourself.

If your that cranked up about having these features on your vehicle; go trade your vehicle in and purchase one that is properly equipped from the factory.

My 2 cents......
Wow,
Man looks like you "know" what you are talking about and you know better than me what I should do :)

I am so stupid that this solution has never came to my mind. You are genius!!! New car is the answer!
But unfortunately, today is too late and all dealerships have been already closed.
I will trade my car tomorrow if that's OK for you.

Just so you know If you spent a bit of your time and search in Internet you would realize that this "modification" is totally safe and you would never posted your 2 cents. I don't understand people who talk just to talk.

And do you really think that having to kids I would planning to do it if I wasn't 100% certain that it's safe?

But if you take it so close I can promise that I'll never post any details even if I am able to make it works since anyways seems to be there is not so many people who would be interested in that.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
451 Posts
You mention reprogramming for adding the devices and that's it's simple - where do you get this simple tool, the code for the computer, the various maps the computer uses and then know which ones to turn on and off? I suspect that special service tool is very expensive, may not even be sold to a non-Kia person and will take some specific training to use it properly. The factory manual is always making reference to a SST for various computer related tasks but I've sure never seen one for sale in any auto parts store. This isn't something that you can plug into the OBD-II port and start programming, it plugs directly into the control module and then starts spitting out codes and sensor specific data. Maybe you've worked with it before and have access to one but understand that the computer also keeps track of every change made to it from the day it was installed to the day the car dies and so Kia will know the system was "tampered" with and could well reject a warranty claim based upon that.

Otherwise, good luck, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out, don't think anyone has gone down this path before so you'll be a pioneer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You mention reprogramming for adding the devices and that's it's simple - where do you get this simple tool, the code for the computer, the various maps the computer uses and then know which ones to turn on and off? I suspect that special service tool is very expensive, may not even be sold to a non-Kia person and will take some specific training to use it properly. The factory manual is always making reference to a SST for various computer related tasks but I've sure never seen one for sale in any auto parts store. This isn't something that you can plug into the OBD-II port and start programming, it plugs directly into the control module and then starts spitting out codes and sensor specific data. Maybe you've worked with it before and have access to one but understand that the computer also keeps track of every change made to it from the day it was installed to the day the car dies and so Kia will know the system was "tampered" with and could well reject a warranty claim based upon that.

Otherwise, good luck, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out, don't think anyone has gone down this path before so you'll be a pioneer.
This is the tool you can plug directly into OBD-II. No need to connect to the control module directly. Autel AP200 can do that and it's not expensive.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
125 Posts
The key point every Hyundai or KIA vehicle is pre-ready to go with all the features. That means that all main components and main parts of the wiring and cabling system are already in place. So to activate one or the other option all you need is to install additional electronic component that corresponds to that particular feature.
ECU and Instrument cluster support all the features that were designed for the top trim but the difference is some features might be disabled for the lower trims. To enable them you need to re-program the car which is not that hard with a proper tool. And second you have to install electronic or mechanical components which correspond for the particular feature you want to enable. For example, LKAS. Instrument cluster is able to display it even on my car and even my car doesn't have this feature installed. This option is simply turned off on my car. I can enable it but I will get Christmas lights on the dash since car will try to find all the components it needs for the feature and once it doesn't find it will give errors. But if I install the appropriate components it will get a new feature activated. The good thing is it is going to be OEM feature and it will work with exactly the same logic, algorithm and functions as it should and as it was designed on the factory.

Sorry if what I said is not clear and confusing. English is my second language.
Would you by any chance know if the sensor hardware for the TPMS system is installed in Canadian Sorentos? I think all that is needed to turn that on is turning the function on in the ECU and adding appropriate TPMS valves in to the wheels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would you by any chance know if the sensor hardware for the TPMS system is installed in Canadian Sorentos? I think all that is needed to turn that on is turning the function on in the ECU and adding appropriate TPMS valves in to the wheels.
TPMS is not installed but pre-wired. If you install it and activate it will work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you'll find a major roadblock in this regards without the Kia specific tool.
Really?
How about this? This is not AP200 but also not expensive tool. Trying to get it.
As for AP200 I was told that it should work but I have never found any proof so far.. Not sure if I buy it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am still making a research and there is still lot's of grey areas.. One of them I found today is after installing LKAS camera it needs to be calibrated. There is a special target is used for calibration. I have dug some information up but it's for KIA Niro. I also found that there are two different types of cameras from two different brands might be installed on different KIA vehicles. One is Mobis and another one is Mando. The good news is that Kia Niro and Sorento come with the same brand and the target is identical. Most likely calibration steps are also the same. The biggest challenge for now is to find wiring diagram for LKAS. No luck so far.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
451 Posts
Really?
How about this? This is not AP200 but also not expensive tool. Trying to get it.
As for AP200 I was told that it should work but I have never found any proof so far.. Not sure if I buy it.
View attachment 114251
See, the eeprom area is where you need to access and it's going to come back that write eeprom failed. Then you would also need to know how to write machine language (or maybe assembler, not sure) to access it that way. When reading/writing through the module itself, the special service Kia tool converts all that more or less to English and then will allow a rewrite of the eeprom. The rest of all that is displayed is just normal OBD-II code reader information with stack data and real time capabilities (which is a nice reader).

Back when we were building race cars, we always had to go with aftermarket computer modules that had the capability of changing maps, timing, barometric parameters, etc.. Even then, we still did everything through the module - we could monitor through OBD-II but had to tweak through the device provided with the module (the module was just a Mazda module that was hacked and rewritten by people much, much smarter than me and then provided with an external device to make further changes).

Now, there are much brighter tech heads out there than me who have maybe figured out how to use that to hack the system and understand machine language so don't take what I say as absolute. I also remember reading something at one time that the EPA restricted altering any characteristics through the OBD-II for emission reasons - they didn't want owners to be able to go in and start changing critical parameters (and I know LKAS isn't a critical emission function). On my 4Runner, you can calibrate the yaw sensor in the anti-skid system through the OBD-II port but it's not writing anything, just putting the system in standby mode why you do various things with the steering wheel but it works and saves an $500 trip to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts