Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This single little 8” sub in a compact box makes a world of difference to my stock infinity system. I CANNOT believe how rich the sound is now, and this little thing booms so I keep the bass knob turned down to 50% or less.

this was installed at Unique Audio in Lorton, VA who hid the amp and LOC nicely in the storage compartment of the cargo area. Overall, a small investment for a huge difference. The rest of the speakers and everything else is stock and has not been upgraded.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
93 Posts
That is awesome. I want to add a sub to my LX. But I'm always moving the rear seats up and down so I can't really do your method. I'm considering getting a powered under seat sub as a possible solution.

I used to be a bass head but not much anymore.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
61 Posts
That is awesome. I want to add a sub to my LX. But I'm always moving the rear seats up and down so I can't really do your method. I'm considering getting a powered under seat sub as a possible solution.

I used to be a bass head but not much anymore.
I installed a Pioneer shallow mount 8" sub in the factory cut out at the rear side. Just had to use a 1" spacer to give it enough depth for the speaker. The Rockville 1400 watt amp and 1.5 farad capacitor are mounted to a 1/4" aluminum plate shaped to fit the storage compartment. There is zero heat build up. The amp is actually cold to the touch even after using it on a long drive.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,078 Posts
1400W. Let's see, that would be roughly 100A at 13.8V.
What are you doing for an alternator? :eek: Yeah, always have to take those power ratings with a grain of salt.
More to the point, how did the power routing work out for these (Novakia and XAOS) installations?

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
93 Posts
I installed a Pioneer shallow mount 8" sub in the factory cut out at the rear side. Just had to use a 1" spacer to give it enough depth for the speaker. The Rockville 1400 watt amp and 1.5 farad capacitor are mounted to a 1/4" aluminum plate shaped to fit the storage compartment. There is zero heat build up. The amp is actually cold to the touch even after using it on a long drive.
Can you send me photos of your sub setup? That is something I've also considered.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome! Can you post some pics so we can see? Did you do the install yourself? How is the sound without an enclosure for the sub?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are you doing for an alternator? :eek: Yeah, always have to take those power ratings with a grain of salt.
More to the point, how did the power routing work out for these (Novakia and XAOS) installations?
Not sure that I know what you mean by the power routing. I bought an 8 gauge amp wiring kit for the install. No capacitor was used, so amp is wired directly to car battery. I used a power efficient amp with 400 watts... https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CX41/Kicker-46CXA400-1.html

This little thing is a beast! I’m not trying to let the entire neighborhood know when I get home, but I definitely have to turn the remote amp knob down (Installer our it below my dash), as this setup has so much kick to it. I am loving this setup and feel like I’ve been missing out with just the factory sub.

By the way, the audio was run through this little guy so that I didn’t have to change the factory stereo... https://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC2IB/AudioControl-LC2i-Black.html

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
61 Posts
I did the install myself. The bass is greatly improved over the stock set up. I have the bass control knob mounted on the shifter console and rarely turn it past 2/3 of full bass. I do need to make a correction, as my capacitor is 500k farads, not a 1.5 farad. With the quick disconnects, if I ever need to remove the amp to use the storage space, it's a simple matter to unplug everything.

awesome! Can you post some pics so we can see? Did you do the install yourself? How is the sound without an enclosure for the sub?
20191008_152936.jpg

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
61 Posts
The sub is rated at 600w peak, so I got an amp that would comfortably drive it without maxing out. I have no intention of turning it way up. I chose this amp because it is made for subs and dimensionally fits in the space I chose to mount it. I have one power wire running from the power block under the hood, into an aftermarket circuit breaker, and then through the firewall boot, and in the channel under the doors on the drivers side. I had to add a turn on relay under the dash so it would power on only when the car is running. The ground lug is attached to the third row seat bolt for a solid connection.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
61 Posts
The Rockville amp is only 440 watts in mono configuration with a 4 ohm speaker. I didn't need overkill bass and this perfectly suited my needs.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,390 Posts
@XAOS777 Looks good, but please don't post the same pictures with every reply in the same thread.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,390 Posts
I don't know what this guy's deal is. Thanks for posting helpful pics and details about your install. Nice job on doing that on your own!
@XAOS777 posted the same great pics of his installation in three posts in this thread, which was cleaned up.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
93 Posts
The Rockville amp is only 440 watts in mono configuration with a 4 ohm speaker. I didn't need overkill bass and this perfectly suited my needs.
That looks great. Did you do the install yourself? Not to sound like a follower but I'd love to recreate your setup. I wanted to put a sub in the factory location but was not sure how. Did you fab that spacer or did it come with the sub? Did you add any sort of baffle behind or does the plastic act as a good enough enclosure? Also any tricks on removing the side wall trim to install the sub?

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
61 Posts
That looks great. Did you do the install yourself? Not to sound like a follower but I'd love to recreate your setup. I wanted to put a sub in the factory location but was not sure how. Did you fab that spacer or did it come with the sub? Did you add any sort of baffle behind or does the plastic act as a good enough enclosure? Also any tricks on removing the side wall trim to install the sub?
I installed it myself. The wood spacer came from Amazon and I coated it with spray on bed liner to give it the right texture and some durability. I didn't add a baffle. I did order a foam speaker back baffle, but didn't use it. There's not much room back there. Order an import trim tool kit to remove the panel without damaging the clips. Having the right tool for the job helps allot. The Crutchfield Master Sheet covers the steps for panel removal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
93 Posts
I installed it myself. The wood spacer came from Amazon and I coated it with spray on bed liner to give it the right texture and some durability. I didn't add a baffle. I did order a foam speaker back baffle, but didn't use it. There's not much room back there. Order an import trim tool kit to remove the panel without damaging the clips. Having the right tool for the job helps allot. The Crutchfield Master Sheet covers the steps for panel removal.
That is great, thank you! I do have panel removal tools. I just didn't know where to start.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts