Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up a used 2011 LX with 32,000 miles on it for my wife earlier this week. Added these strips under the headlights:

Audi R8 LED Strip Lights | LED Daytime Lights | LED Day Light | DRL

They aren't as blue at night as the picture makes it out to be, and they also seem to be a bit brighter in person during the day. Oh well, that's what a cell phone camera does... :)

Basics: Removed headlights. Adhered the side shine LEDs on the edge under the headlights with the adhesive. Put headlights back in. Wired up to negative terminal on battery and ABS fuse in the underhood fuse bank so that they turn on and off with the ignition.

For <$20, I'm pretty happy with the results. Will see how long they last. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
Audi A3 2.0TDi Quattro Sport / Kia Sportage KX3
10 Posts
It's a shame that your model doesn't come with the stock DRLs, they are standard on even the most basic UK model.

Good effort though

·
Registered
Kia Sportage LX 2012
50 Posts
Looks great! I bought a pair of LED strip also for my Sportage 2012 LX 'coz it has no DRL on it's headlights. I just inserted without removing the headlights using some thin molding tools.

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong but I think I remember a TSB or something else from KIA advising against connecting aftermarket products directly to the battery. Maybe it's just the positive post?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great! I bought a pair of LED strip also for my Sportage 2012 LX 'coz it has no DRL on it's headlights. I just inserted without removing the headlights using some thin molding tools.
Yeah, I saw yours in the pics thread. Looks great too! :) I wasn't confident in my abilities to run the wires and get them laid in there properly without taking out the lights.

As for running a negative ground to the battery, it shouldn't really make a difference compared to grounding it at another spot. As for running a power wire to the positive terminal, it may have to do with the Sportage having a fuse right there...

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
It would have cost you more money, but I would have searched for a set of factory headlight assemblies with the LEDs in them. IMO the ones you have look kind of cheap or like an afterthought.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it is cheap, and it is an afterthought since they are aftermarket and less than $20. LOL

I realize they don't look as good or the same as OEM, and I dont really expect them to "fool" anybody into thinking they are OEM. I just think it's an inexpensive way to add some character to the front end, and I'm happy with the way they look.

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
<<---- :) Great job,i like it. And these led strips would definitely do a good job inside the trunk. No more going in with a candle.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
I agree with illjim on this one. They don't look horrible. And, at least you'll be basically one of a kind with that mod (bright side). But, they don't look great either in my humble opinion. I see a ton of cars in SoCal with cheap blue "ricer lights" or poorly placed after-market led lights bolted on somewhere. I always chuckle a bit as I just find them a bit goofy looking and out of place.

Again, just my opinion as I assume by posting you're looking for opinions.

Finally, if you don't mind me asking, did you know about the EX (w/ prem. package i believe) and SX coming with the LED DRLs? And, if so, why didn't you find one of those used? There have to be plenty of used EX's floating around within a reasonable distance? Just curious...

Ps... I bought the ex and hated how underpowered it was. So, I blew $5000 and traded it for a SX. So, don't feel bad. Sadly I couldn't glue on a new motor so you're lucky if this is the only part you felt you're missing out on ;-)

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
123 Posts
Sneakyme - I fell in love with the Sportage at the 2010 NY auto show. I went to my Kia dealer the very next day and drove an EX. It was a DOG! The 4 banger was not getting it done and I was not about to drop 30 large on a 4 cyl. Kia.... The salesman told me I should wait for the SX with the 2.0 Turbo and GDI. He said it would be available in January 2011 (this was in April 2-10). WRONG! I waited 14 months!!!! Worth the wait... If I bought the EX, I would have been the same boat as you.... trading it in when the SX came out and took the $5k loss....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As for going with the LX vs an SX or EX, this vehicle is for my wife, who is coming from a base Mazda 3i. More features and more hp wasn't on her "must have list". Just something stylish with good gas mileage and room for our dogs, 9 month old daughter, etc... I paid $16849 for this one (before tax), and we are content with the standard features. Lot of LXs on the market, not so many EXs when I was searching.

As for speed, I've got a modified Firehawk and a Stage 1 GTI to satisfy my need for thrust. :) A good friend of mine has a Sportage SX, and he absolutely loves it. That's what led me to looking at the Sportage in the first place. I just didn't feel compelled to spend extra for a higher level version with features that others might like, but weren't a necessity for us. Call me cheap, I suppose. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dan. Totally understand. Makes a lot of sense. I said the same when I bought the new EX. The difference is I mainly drive it myself (with my wife and 1 year old triplets) and came from an Audi A4. So, was disappointing for me power wise and I'm still a bit mad at myself for not sticking to my guns and just getting the SX right out of the gate. Oh well. Life lesson ;-)

Anyway, it is a great car and I'm sure you'll love it. I do really enjoy driving it. Plus, being a tech geek, I love all the gadgets it comes with... I just needed the added power. Especially with all 5 of us and 2 strollers in the thing!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sneakyme - I fell in love with the Sportage at the 2010 NY auto show. I went to my Kia dealer the very next day and drove an EX. It was a DOG! The 4 banger was not getting it done and I was not about to drop 30 large on a 4 cyl. Kia.... The salesman told me I should wait for the SX with the 2.0 Turbo and GDI. He said it would be available in January 2011 (this was in April 2-10). WRONG! I waited 14 months!!!! Worth the wait... If I bought the EX, I would have been the same boat as you.... trading it in when the SX came out and took the $5k loss....
You sir are a patient man ;-) But, I hear ya. It just wasn't cutting it for me/the fam. So, bit the bullet and traded the 2012 EX for a 2011 SX w/ 8000 miles. My EX had 5000 so didn't lose much miles wise. Just a costly lesson to learn. :huh:

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage
22 Posts
I love those light strips, Dan! OOOooo I want them! :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage
22 Posts
Wow, Dan, that's great! I assuming you wired it yourself then if no wiring for the socket? I also like your string of leds under your headlamps. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Correct, they are simply wired to come on with the ignition and act as DRL lights. The only downside is that they (the "fogs") aim more off to the sides due to the angle of that housing piece. They act more as accent lighting than as a true "fog" light. They do throw off some minor useful light to the front corners of the vehicle, but I think they help the vehicle be seen more than anything else.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage
22 Posts
Correct, they are simply wired to come on with the ignition and act as DRL lights. The only downside is that they (the "fogs") aim more off to the sides due to the angle of that housing piece. They act more as accent lighting than as a true "fog" light. They do throw off some minor useful light to the front corners of the vehicle, but I think they help the vehicle be seen more than anything else.
Thank you so much, Dan!

·
Registered
Sportage 2012
3 Posts
Hi Dan,

Sorry for reviving the thread, but I have a question that maybe you, or somebody else here can answer.
I have a similar LED strip, and I want to install it to be turn on with the parking lights. Is it OK if I just connect the LED strip to the parking light wires in the Headlight wire harness? -see pic attached. :confused:

Is there any electrical bad practice in doing this connection here?

Thanks in advance if somebody have a comment on this.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can splice it to whichever "hot" wire you want, such as the parking lights, and it should be fine, as the LED doesn't have much electrical draw. Running it to the fuse panel with an "add-a-fuse" is what I did.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts