Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sedona LX+
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the LX+ in September 2017 but really wanted fog lights, so I decided to add them after the fact. I didn't like the look of black plastic inserts filling the space where the fog lights should be, and I had a $300 credit with Kia Canada that I could use toward parts, so I took the plunge and shelled out the balance of the cash for the parts.

I bought the following parts:

86528 A9000 - RH mounting bracket for the fog light
86527 A9000 - LH mounting bracket for the fog light
92202 A9010 - RH fog lamp assembly (includes the bulb)
92201 A9010 - LH fog lamp assembly (includes the bulb)

Apparently Kia Canada didn't have any inventory so they had to be shipped from South Korea. I ordered them in April, and between them being ordered late, then being shipped from SK, then being delivered to the wrong dealer and finally being found, 6 months had gone by! I finally received them in mid-October and I installed them over the past 2 weekends. By far the longest part of the install was running the wiring and covering/taping it so it looks like it's stock.

Additional parts needed were as follows:
-2 harness connectors for H8 bulbs (same as H11)
-14 gauge wire for running power from battery to relay to both fog lights (I bought a spool of red and a spool of black)
-16 gauge wire for running the trigger wire for the relay (I bought a spool of red and only needed a bit of black but still bought a spool anyways for future projects)
-inline fuse holder
-12v relay
-diode for relay
-12v switch
-25' of split wire loom (I think 1/4")
-soldering iron and solder and heat shrink
-at least 1 roll of electrical tape
-zip ties

Pushing the existing black plastic blanks in wasn't too hard, but I still managed to break off 1 plastic mounting tab on 1 side (out of about 7 tabs). Pulling the new mounting bracket on and mounting the fog light was pretty simple, you just have to make sure the 3 holes in the mounting bracket where the screws go are aligned over the posts where the screws screw into. That was the easy part. Everything else was the hard part, lol.

To get the harness connectors for the H8 bulbs, I went to the wreckers and found a BMW with the right connector and cut about 12" of wire off along with the connector. I soldered the 14 ga wire to it on the RH side and ran it over to the LH side in the wire loom, using the zip ties along the way. Near the LH fog light is an existing ground, I used that to ground both fog lights and the ground for the trigger wire for the relay.

Power for the fog lights came directly from the battery. I used a ring terminal on the 14 ga wire and put it under one of the 3 nuts on the +ve terminal of the battery. Next was the inline fuse (10 amp), then the power wire went straight to the relay from there, and to the fog lights on the other side of the relay.

The trigger wire I tapped into IGN 2 on the climate control, the diagrams on Kia Sedona YP Service Manual were spot-on for me. They helped me to remove the trim under the steering wheel, around the climate control, and to tell me which wire was IGN 1 and 2, and after some probing, I figured IGN 2 was the one I wanted to tap into because it doesn't have power while cranking or while in Accessory mode. I stripped a bit of the wire back and soldered some 16 ga wire to it and ran wire from there to a switch that I mounted on the trim under the steering wheel in the flat area under the OBD2 connector. I like to have my fogs on all the time so I will rarely need to switch them off, but the switch is still within reach if I ever need it. After reading up a bit on IGN2, I figured there was probably a better spot on the car somewhere to tap into IGN 2, but it was too late by then.

From the switch under the steering wheel, the wire had to be run through the firewall into the engine bay to the relay. There is a big bundle of wires that runs near the brake pedal through the firewall and it has a rubber grommet that it runs through that I made use of. I pushed a hanger through the rubber (making sure not to stab the bundle of wires on the engine bay side), and somehow got the 16 ga wire through that hole (don't ask how long I struggled with this step, lol).

Once the relay was wired up, I threw in the 10A fuse and tried out the fogs and they worked! The last step was to wire in the diode across the coil of the relay, which I accomplished by stripping back a bit of wire of the 16 ga from inside the car and a bit of wire of the 16 ga wire that grounds the coil, and soldering in the diode.

As I went along, I covered as much of the wire as I could with the wire loom and taped the loom from end to end. The rest of the wires where I couldn't get loom over it was taped. I soldered just about everything except the ring terminal, and even that I soldered the exposed end of the wire after crimping.

I'll take some pictures of the install tomorrow if I remember, let me know if you have any questions or comments on the install.

·
Registered
2017 Sedona LX+
107 Posts
Thanks for the writeup, I've been meaning to do the same to my 17. Have the OEM fog lights and surrounds already, going aftermarket switch and separate relay like you did. I look forward to the pics!

·
Registered
2018 Sedona LX+
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did an oil change yesterday so took the opportunity to snap some pics:

1-Front of switch
2-Back of switch
3-Where wire comes through firewall above brake pedal
4-Wire attached to battery terminal
5-Fuse for #4 above

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Sedona LX+
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1-Wire under dash going from switch to climate control
2-Wire running behind battery from north to south is the battery terminal to the relay wire, the wire going east leads to the firewall
3-Wire leading from #2 above and heading down to the area behind the driver side fog light
4-Area behind DS fog light, showing relay and existing ground point that I reused
5-Relay, bracket, and mounting point

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Sedona LX+
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1-DS fog light and relay beside it
2-Wire running from DS fog light area to PS fog light
3-Same as #2 above but closer to PS now
4-Same as #3 above but in PS fog light area now
5-PS fog light