Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio manual 6 speed (AU GDI MODEL) in black.
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals alike

I know in the Korean Kia morning the push button start stop with keyless entry feature come standard on an auto but I am really just after the parts to make it happen for a rhd (they have LHD) and am not sure what is needed.

Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo 2020 Sportage LX FWD
234 Posts
Hey guys and gals alike

I know in the Korean Kia morning the push button start stop with keyless entry feature come standard on an auto but I am really just after the parts to make it happen for a rhd (they have LHD) and am not sure what is needed.

Can anyone help me out?
You're trying to convert a keyed ignition to a push button on your car? The wiring harness is a different part number, and it is the wiring harness for the in cabin fuse panel, HVAC, BCM, ect. Requires pulling the dash, replacing the harness, maybe the BCM, new key fob, ECU ect. but I can double check that with part numbers.
I think you mean, you have a manual, keyed ignition car, and want to swap to a push button? If that is what you are asking I can in short tell you it is far more work then you are thinking. and would cost over 2,200$ USD for the parts if even possible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.. so basically you'd have to get a donor vehicles loom and parts and swap them into the vehicle you're wanting to use as your daily or whatever or buy a car with those features installed?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ok.. so basically you'd have to get a donor vehicles loom and parts and swap them into the vehicle you're wanting to use as your daily or whatever or buy a car with those features installed?
Yea, the key is verified thru the ECU and the wireless key is verified thru the ecu and imobilizer. There are different computers for the auto vs manual. So if it was only an option on the auto then there is no way to make it work. I added push button to my rio when I motor swapped it, but I used ever wiring harness from the Forte to do it, and both cars was auto.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok.. the reason I asked was simply because I'm planning on using a picanto for an ev swap..

Using the powertrain from either a zero or energica motorcycle, using a conversion plate to marry the electric motor and transmission together, whilst still retaining the features from the picanto like immobilizer, alarm ignition and gearbox computer to operate the car like normal.

Also would be using a cluster from either the Kia EVs but aiming for the Niro as it has a basic display (economy, power readout, accelerator and deceleration, mode switching (also a feature from the bike too) and use a Niro steering wheel to control the motor mode function as it has a paddle on the back of the steering wheel to change modes and the mode is displayed on the cluster)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ok.. the reason I asked was simply because I'm planning on using a picanto for an ev swap..

Using the powertrain from either a zero or energica motorcycle, using a conversion plate to marry the electric motor and transmission together, whilst still retaining the features from the picanto like immobilizer, alarm ignition and gearbox computer to operate the car like normal.

Also would be using a cluster from either the Kia EVs but aiming for the Niro as it has a basic display (economy, power readout, accelerator and deceleration, mode switching (also a feature from the bike too) and use a Niro steering wheel to control the motor mode function as it has a paddle on the back of the steering wheel to change modes and the mode is displayed on the cluster)
I swaped the 1.6 turbo 6spd auto into a rio 1.6 n/a auto. And what I learned:

There are 3 main wirring harnesses for the cars. Front (under hood) Main (under dash, fuse box, HVAC, immobilizer, stearing colom, gauges, push button) and Floor (body and lights)

When I swaped mine over I could use the break booster, abs mod, srs mod, ect from the forte. Most stuff just bolted in, but I had to do a lot of splicing for all chassy lights and doors ect.

That is how I was able to add all the forte features my car didn't have, like paddle shifters, heated stearing wheel, ect. Used the forte seats, fuse and relay box, gauges, ect ect.
What I did was far easier then what you are about to get into.
But I would love to see what you come up with.
I would also add I couldn't find all the pin out diagrams needed even after using the paid subscription.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the picanto manual

Here is a wiring diagram for the zero motorbike (I'm assuming that this harness will be for all models of bike but according to the diagram I believe it's for a 2016)

Haven't been able to find a energica motorcycle diagram yet

There is also a brand of bike called a Savic, which are being built in Australia which are similar to the energica and I may go this route as I have the car here in Australia and the bike (if it comes to fruition and would also make part sourcing a lot easier too)

Basically I'm wanting to wire in the motor controller to be enabled by the pushbutton start stop and because the electric motor won't be idling as the car can't just take off until the accelerator is engaged.

Any suggestions on how to wire this into the picanto? It doesn't look too difficult and my understanding is that the key from the bike is hard coded to the ignition of the bike and the battery is also hard coded into the battery BMS or a certain controller module on the harness..

Thanks for the advice so far.. it's been extremely insightful

Does anyone have diagrams from the E-NIRO regarding the cluster as I'm sure there will be a module to help control the display of the cluster and input output information such as power, mode, etc, The flapper paddles for the steering wheel any other features I may need.

Just to mention as well.. I haven't had a lot of sleep as I type this so if none of this makes sense, please let me know and i'll clarify after I wake up from sleeping.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I swaped the 1.6 turbo 6spd auto into a rio 1.6 n/a auto. And what I learned:

There are 3 main wirring harnesses for the cars. Front (under hood) Main (under dash, fuse box, HVAC, immobilizer, stearing colom, gauges, push button) and Floor (body and lights)

When I swaped mine over I could use the break booster, abs mod, srs mod, ect from the forte. Most stuff just bolted in, but I had to do a lot of splicing for all chassy lights and doors ect.

That is how I was able to add all the forte features my car didn't have, like paddle shifters, heated stearing wheel, ect. Used the forte seats, fuse and relay box, gauges, ect ect.
What I did was far easier then what you are about to get into.
But I would love to see what you come up with.
I would also add I couldn't find all the pin out diagrams needed even after using the paid subscription.
You didn't happen to get any photos of your engine bay (top and front views)did you?

·
Registered
234 Posts
You didn't happen to get any photos of your engine bay (top and front views)did you?
I got some pics yes, I will try to post them below here, but this site seems to have issues with image hosting, if they wont upload I can always email them to you. And I can take any picture you would want.

I would guess you would want to have the bike key as a stand alone, but another route would be to have the key antenna wired in with the ignition of the car (could be done with a key switch). My big question is how are you going to get the electric power to the wheels of the car? I am so very interested in this project. Also I would be interested in how the throttle possition sensor for the bike works, and how you can apply that the electric pedal of the car. And how you will program the electric motor to power in line with the gas engine (to prevent drag).

I just have hard time talking/typing period so no hard feelings on that, especially given the complexity of the topic.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mid process in this pic, I still have the bumper off, but it is all wired up, radiator + intercooler mounted and test started (no cel). I'm still waiting on the custom axles and new front impact sensors (the swap came from a wrecked forte) so I have to leave the bumper off till they come in. I'll take some better pics in the day light so you can see my custom zip tie mounted overflow lol. Cheers! as you say down there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok..

Firstly did you get any empty engine bay photos for reference as I need to eye out an engine bay for "curiousity sakes as well as letting my brain have a feed"
2ndly, these "minor inconveniences" such as ignition and using Kia keyfob would either have me wire the motorbike key inline and keeping it on a constant on state and using the keyfob from the kia as the "key for the car"

Getting power to the wheels is as simple as designing a conversion plate to mount motor and a key that "marries the transmission and motor together.." possibly thinking a 6 speed box from a Rio or Cerato (whichever is smaller) and not sure on manual or auto.. thinking auto might be easier as it doesn't involve a clutch but at the same time.. I want a manual.. if it was auto it'd be economy and manual for "performance".

then for power, a boxed battery consisting of Tesla cells to replace the mass of the motor and where the original fuel tank lived.. doing the maths should roughly be able to store at least 10 in the engine bay and I'm going to guess at least 4 in the back.. but I could be wrong here.. now my understanding is that the BMS is hardcoded to one of the controllers so I guess using the hardcoded board onto the cells from the Tesla might be an option.. so before diving right into buying all Tesla cells, I'll buy one and go from there. See if I can use the BMS from the bikes circuit and "Jimmy the battery" using the Tesla cell ( minus it's BMS) and the bikes BMS to see if they will play nicely together.

The charging plug to replace the fuel feeder and charger potentially under the back seat or somewhere convenient to access in case I need to maintain etc.

Replace heater and AC with electronic variants to replace climate control, brake booster from e-niro being it needs to be an electronic brake booster, cluster from e-niro for readout of battery speed etc.

I still don't own a picanto yet.. as I'm getting the theory of this down first so I can have a fairly clear idea of what i want.

The inspiration was from this guy in the states.. same idea but apply it to a picanto.

Here is the final episode.

Glad to hear you're interested in the project as I have made the suggestion to other car heads and it falls on deaf ears..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah.. sorry forgot to mention.. take as many photos of your car and the engine bay as necessary

·
Registered
234 Posts
That's the forte5 donor car. But the Rio was so close the forte AC line fit the forte. I'm in the states so that might be backwards for you. If you have any questions or want a detailed picture of anything just ask. Sorry for the delayed response

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's perfect.. I'm from Australia.. I can just flip the pictures if needed .. this is awesome.. thankyou..

As for the throttle from the bike.. I plan on splicing the accelerator pedal from the car or repin the harness to allow it to work as the "throttle from the bike".. needing a photo of the accelerator harness plug and where it leads to.. ie, from pedal to ecu??? And which plug to the ecu and what pin(s) it works on so I can look over the bike harness and compare..

Those photos will be critical to me "eyeing off approximately" space for "transmission and motor combination" after they've been married and so I can size up the new "battery" that will be occupying the engine bay.

Thanks so far for all your help..

Basically I will need to either find a local wreck with pushbutton start stop setup and interior of leather or import one from Korea to cannabalize the parts needed.

Could you give me the part numbers so I can at least have half a chance to purchase them later or see if I can get them from a picanto wrecker in Korea.. somehow.. lol

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's perfect.. I'm from Australia.. I can just flip the pictures if needed .. this is awesome.. thankyou..

As for the throttle from the bike.. I plan on splicing the accelerator pedal from the car or repin the harness to allow it to work as the "throttle from the bike".. needing a photo of the accelerator harness plug and where it leads to.. ie, from pedal to ecu??? And which plug to the ecu and what pin(s) it works on so I can look over the bike harness and compare..

Those photos will be critical to me "eyeing off approximately" space for "transmission and motor combination" after they've been married and so I can size up the new "battery" that will be occupying the engine bay.

Thanks so far for all your help..

Basically I will need to either find a local wreck with pushbutton start stop setup and interior of leather or import one from Korea to cannabalize the parts needed.

Could you give me the part numbers so I can at least have half a chance to purchase them later or see if I can get them from a picanto wrecker in Korea.. somehow.. lol
Check the part #'s on kiapartsnow.com they have a massive catalog (I'm not recommending you order from them, but you can check part #'s)

I will post a pic of the Forte gas pedal I have removed under this reply in just a few mins. (When I did my swap the Forte wirring harness just plugged right into the Rio pedal, again we don't have picanto in the states so I'm not sure if it's a Rio or Forte, or some mix between the two, but I'm sure since the pedal was interchangeable between my two, it is the same pin out for the picanto.

The pedal plug is on the "front harness" and it is throttle by wire, so it goes to the ECU, then the ECU operates the electric motor on the throttle body. Here is a pin out of the rio page 7 labeled EGGG44 Accel Pedal Position Sensor 2012 Kia Rio EWD - Front Harness | Free Download I can't seem to find a diagram of where they each run, but if you look at the top of page one you can see all 6 wires go to the ECU, and again from the ECU to the throttle body.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That is a rio front wirring harness, rio throttle body, but a forte pedal, for part # reference. Remember the pedal to tbe ECU, then ECU to the TB, both pedal and TB have 6 wires if you need better pics or of anything else related just lmk, I have it al out laying on the ground and would be glad to assist you while I still have all that mess here at my house. (hopefully wont be here much longer mind you so don't hesitate to ask.) If you want me to pull some frame rail width and depth measurement between the rio and forte lmk, that might also help you out. Again, if you need anything ask ASAP while i still have it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts