Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX+ 3.3L V6 (red)
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my eye on a 2009 Rio5 EX-Sport, but I'm not loving the fact it doesn't have cruise control. I'm non-mechanically inclined (replacing a headlight is about the max I think I can do)...if I bought an aftermarket cruise control thingy off ebay, would a Kia dealer (or alternate location) install it, do you think?

And if so...would that install as a "stalk", or as part of some kind of steering-wheel based control?

Sorry, I'm new at this stuff, not real experienced with "modding"...lol

·
Registered
06 Rio, 136K miles
77 Posts
I bought my kit from M&R Electronics, Delco , Ford , and Chrysler Radio Wholesaler , M & R Electronics is one of the largest Delco radio distributors in the Country , and installed it myself. Instead of using the "Stalk" that it came with, I ordered a "Part#: 250-1483 RF Cruise Control Switch" that I mounted to my steering wheel so I didn't have the stalk hanging in the way. I'm very happy with my entire setup. You are saying that you aren't mechanically inclined, however, you could give it a try. I found the directions very helpful and I found a Youtube video explaining how to install it on a 2007 Rio.

If you aren't willing to take on the installation, I would talk to a local car stereo shop and ask them how much to install the kit if you buy it yourself. Being handy with wiring and installing, the cruise control should be no issue for a stereo shop.

I've had my cruise control setup installed for over a year and haven't had any issues, I haven't even changed the battery in the RF unit.

Chris

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi, thanks very much, that's quite helpful. One question--I looked up the part number from that Delco site...where does the on/off assembly switch go in the steering wheel? does it mount onto one of the existing surfaces of the steering wheel, or does it go into a "gap" in the steering wheel? (if you know what I mean...like a blank space where there's nothing?)

Also, I've had a look around YouTube, and for some reason I can't seem to find the video you referenced. Would you happen to have the link by any chance?

·
Registered
06 Rio, 136K miles
77 Posts
The RF switch is mounted in a gap on the steering wheel. I had to remove the airbag (only 2 bolts) and then the RF switch comes with a bracket that clips under the airbag and then you put the airbag back on. Here is the thread where I showed what it looked like mounted.

http://www.kia-forums.com/2g-2006-2010-rio-rio5/76464-cruise-control-rf-cruise-control-sw.html

I found the video by searching for 250-1799 (My kit number). The video doesn't show how to splice the wires or route the wire harness, it just shows how to mount the unit in the engine compartment. The link is below.

Let me know if you need more info.

Chris

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chris, muchly appreciated!

--Dave

·
Registered
2008 Rio5 SX
20 Posts
Got my cruise control from Rostra especially for my 2008 Rio5 SX:

Custom Global Cruise Aftermarket Cruise Control by Rostra

It's the 250-1799 model. Still working to this day.
Came with full KIA RIO instructions and had it working in about 2 hours.
Controller is an arm that mounts just below your signal arm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts