i'm just wondering, does it matter if i just leave my activeECO on all the time
any negative side affect in the long run

additional question:
for a new car, do u recommend to change oil every 3000 or 6000Km

·
Registered
2013 KIA Soul, 2013 KIA Rio 5 Door
84 Posts
My wife and I traded in an '07 Kia Sedona and '09 Kia Sportage for something more fuel efficient. She got a 2013 Kia Soul and I got the Rio 5-door. I asked about the ECO. Dealer said it changes the gearing a bit to give a bit less power and shifts sooner. When you turn it off it gives you a bit more power. That's also what I've read here on the forum. I haven't been able to actually get out and test it myself as we've only had our cars a few days. Hope that helps. As far as oil changes, read this: Top 7 Urban Legends About Motor Oil - Edmunds.com I need to dig in my manual and see what it recommends because that's what I keep hearing, change it at the interval recommended in the manual and that it doesn't really matter whether using synthetic or conventional. I've been using synthetic in all my vehicles though and change it about every 6,000mi here in US or 6 mos, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
There is no harm in leaving the ECO on all the time. I have found that the difference in mileage with ECO on vs off has been negligible. However, there is a noticeable difference in power. I now leave it off and enjoy having a little more punch when I drive.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
405 Posts
no harm in leaving it on, other than it makes the car less fun to drive and somewhat annoying at low speeds. from my experience it hardly changes your fuel efficiency at all. i question the early shifting strategy, as it leaves the car operating at lower torque levels and in my opinion strains the engine by not running in the most efficient parts of the power band.
for oil changes, they say that going by the mfg. recommended interval is generally best, so 6000km is what they are recommending...

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 & 2009 Rav4 Sport V6
104 Posts
I drove with the ECO on all the time before. But realized, if I need to stomp on the gas to go somewhere, it is very slow to react compared to with ECO off. So now, I just leave it off and use manual mode most of the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts