Kia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider the 6-Speed Auto and 1.6 GDi engine in my Rio5 to be one of the smoothest power trains on the planet for most driving conditions. When driving in slow moving stop-and-go traffic (5 mph or less), however, the quick throttle response can get a bit bothersome. This is where ECO Mode really comes in handy! With ECO Mode ON the throttle "tip-in" is reduced considerably, allowing you to move smoothly with traffic saving both on gas and brakes. Once I have open highway I shut ECO Mode OFF and enjoy my spirited little ride. You really can have the best of both worlds with this fun little hatch :)

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 // LX Clear White w/ Pwr Pkg
83 Posts
i used ECO for the first couple of weeks when i had the car, but then i haven't used it since. maybe i should try it again? my commute in the morning is 20 miles, the first 10 or so are 5-20mph traffic. blah.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX (auto)
47 Posts
Well I've been using it recently it does reduce power a bit but nothing to crazy I'm still able to accelerate fast when I have to I also tend to use sports more while using it Eco mode as well and seems to still run very well

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I've been using it recently it does reduce power a bit but nothing to crazy I'm still able to accelerate fast when I have to I also tend to use sports more while using it Eco mode as well and seems to still run very well
Yes

More and more lately I have been using the combination of Active ECO mode and the "Sport Mode" on the AT. You can hold 3rd Gear while accelerating onto a highway ramp then flick the shifter back to "D" once you are up to speed.

You do not want to stay in 6th Gear in Sport Mode when you are cruising because the torque converter does not lock-up in Sport Mode and you will lose fuel efficiency. The torque converter will only lock-up in "D" mode.

·
Registered
2013 RIO5, 2000 GMC Jimmy, 1996 Astro Van, 2004 New Beetle Convertible
126 Posts
Yes

You do not want to stay in 6th Gear in Sport Mode when you are cruising because the torque converter does not lock-up in Sport Mode and you will lose fuel efficiency. The torque converter will only lock-up in "D" mode.
Good tip, may have taken me some time to notice this :eek: ...
Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
13 Rio 5 EX Auto & 05 Crysler T&C & 52 Ford 8N
45 Posts
OK I'll show my lack of knowledge - can you explain (in simple terms) what is meant by <the torque converter does not lock-up in Sport Mode>.

I sorta understand the basics - that in "D" the computer chooses the gear - whereas with the selector flicked to the manual side of the gate the driver can select the gear. What are the finer points that I'm missing.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX Sedan 2012 Acura TL Advanced, 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
26 Posts
I don't use it. But, if I sat in traffic, idle for minutes at a time, I sure would.

·
Registered
13 Rio 5 EX Auto & 05 Crysler T&C & 52 Ford 8N
45 Posts
Well duh! Makes sense now. Many thanks Rum Runner those are great videos.

Is there any way to know that lock-up is in effect? and presumably it only occurs in 6th?

My previous 'techie' appreciation of what goes on under the hood is w/ the 1970's era Automotive Products automatic transmission in the BMC mini, and with the 1980's DAF variomatic system. Between then and now I've not been too worried about the finer details of the automatic transmission of our various vehicles - but now with ECO, ISG and the wealth of knowledge on this site I'm getting back to paying attention.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Quick note - I only have 2 tanks on the new car and drive pretty conservative so far almost 100% ECO Mode

As was stated the transmission is pretty smooth, at least with my driving so far, so its a bit hard to tell when its locked up. If you watch the TACH you can usually see a couple hundred RPM drop once it locks up.

I have a couple 50km/hr zones on the way home that everyone seems to do 70 in. I typically stay within 10km/hr of speed zones these days...
I have been noticing that if I give a bit of gas to get close to 70 it'll lock up in 6th and I can then slow to close to 60 before it un-locks and typically downshifts shortly after to 5th.
Cruising around 50-60 km/hr with light throttle (ECO) yields very good mileage and seems to be locked in 5th. I tried yesterday messing around around with flipping the Auto stick back and forth from drive to the shift-able position and didn't notice any RPM drop...
I have a Canadian car made 03/13. Are we sure that it does not lock up in shifttronic/sport/triptroic mode (lol) ???

Well at least I have something to amuse myself with for the next tank of gas or so :)
I'll mess around in the same spots in my commute with ECO on and off and see if I notice differences in lock-up. If I get more lockup with ECO on then for sure there will be some minor gas savings.

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
I think we tested this when we first got our cars on a very old thread. There is a difference between eco on and off but its very marginal in gas mileage.

On the other hand its a huge difference in acceleration and peppiness of the car.

Personally I leave eco off and drive in manual mode to get the most control out of the car but others may be more gas conscious. Really subjective to driver.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think Mitskuni pretty much summed up ECO mode in last post.
Just did my 4th tank with ECO OFF for the first time for the tank.

Black Rio 5 (Kia Rio5) | Fuelly

Filled 4th tank last night. 458km (285miles). ECO OFF. Trip computer showed 7.4L/100 and fuelly shows 7.5L/100 = US 31.3 = 37.6 UK mpg = 13.3 km / L

So I actually had an improvement running ECO OFF this tank from last tank but I am pretty sure had less overall traffic and AC than last tank. Looking like not much difference in ECO mode for my typical commute.

Cheers,
Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts