Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX, Auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I just purchased my first Kia last night. Considering all the available options and warranty compared to the Fiesta, I chose the 2013 Rio EX with the convenience package. The dealer tried to hook me for $350 dollars to leave the alarm system turned on. When I flat out refused to pay it, they said they were going to disarm it. If I chose to have them turn it on at a later date, I could come back in and pay them $350. This was a deal because they normally charge 695 (yeah right--I'm not falling for that one)

My question is.....does anyone know how to enter the computer/setup and turn this function on? I know it is a matter of pressing the right buttons in the right order and won't take but 2 minutes (since that is how long it took the service guy to deactivate it last night). I refuse to pay $350 dollars for something that is already there and "could" be turned on if the dealer felt like it. Is there a smart Kia person out there that knows how to do this? Otherwise, I'll wait a few months and I know I'll find a Kia service guy somewhere willing to make $50 on the side. Thanks!

By the way, the alarm during my initial viewing of the car was turned on when you pressed "lock" on the key fob and off when you pressed "unlock". It uses the factory key fob which I like.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
the alarm system will be local installed, as there is no such thing as a factory alarm system. What exactly does it do?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
It has a built in anti-theft alarm from the factory. It arms when you lock the vehicle, and if the car is unlocked without using the transmitter or key, it sounds the horn and flashes the lights. It will not disable the car from being started. It does not have an impact alarm.

If it is an aftermarket system installed by them, I would ask them to remove it, since it didn't come on the car to begin with. Also, if it is in fact an aftermarket system, it could lead to warranty issues in the future if it is spliced into the wiring. If there is any electrical issues(battery drain, shorts, etc) directly caused by it, it would be your responsibility and not Kias, since it is not original equipment or a Kia genuine accessory.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX, Auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you nailed it spongebob. The only thing different from what you said is that during the finance guys hard push to sell he mentioned that it did in fact disable the starter. I am almost certain that this is a factory install and the dealer didn't install. I will poke around under the dash tomorrow to see what it looks like. I know there is an led module that is located down below the steering wheel that was flashing last night but after I signed papers when it was given to me, it wasn't flashing anymore.

I'm hoping that it wasn't a dealer installed option, because if it was....I'm sure I won't have much luck with taking it in after the fact and asking for it to be removed. I'll keep asking around and see what else I can find out. Thanks for all answers to the post. I'm looking forward to better gas mileage than my 2005 Trailblazer I got rid of!!

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
However, there is an alarm in the key fob (horn symbol), but that is standard but you have to push the button to active it by pressing if for more than 1/2 second, as that sounds the horn and the hazard warning light blink for about 30 seconds.

if its more elaborate than this then its dealer installed after they received the car, easy to check by checking out the Kia Motors website, you will see that there is no separate factory alarm as an option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
alarm on kia rio ex sedan

pretty much the same thing happened to me, I bought my kia 3 days ago and when they showed me all the car features they told me it had an alarm system. Imagine my surprise when I got home and could not find the led for the alarm. I called and was told that I had to pay extra to have it reactivated I am calling the dealership manager tomorrow and asking him to do it since it was part of the original deal. I'll let you know. By the way how much did u pay?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX, Auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Luromi, I never did go and get it reactivated. I think I got them down to $150 but I still thought it was ridiculous to pay to reactivate something they already installed and then took the time to deactivate. I am going to try and get the service guy to give me a better deal when I take her in for the first oil change in a couple months. I feel like I got a pretty good deal. I was able to get one of "only 3 at this price" in the paper on presidents day weekend. It was 14,566 before taxes of course. I may have been able to get a little cheaper but for the EX with convenience package, I thought that was pretty fair. Of course they were cheesed off when I wouldn't upgrade anything or buy anything extra.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts