Kia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Sorento SXL. The automatic cruise control works great except.....

When following another car the system works correctly maintaining the correct distance with the other car. Front vehicle slows, I slow. Front vehicle slows, my brakes apply. Front vehicle moves to right lane to complete a turn. As the other car slows down even more. my car brakes harder and harder trying not to hit the car that is no longer there and my lane is now clear.

It scares the heck out of me and I can only imagine what the guy behind me thinks of this fool slamming on his brakes for nothing as he swerves to avoid me.

I took it in to the dealer to check. Supposedly the radar system is within spec and they could not duplicate the problem. I asked if they tested exactly the way I explained the problem. Of course they didn't.

Has anyone else had this problem and get their dealer to fix it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
121 Posts
I don't really have that system on my 2017 Sorento, but had something similar when I leased a Honda Clarity EV with similar adaptive cruise control.

I suspect such systems 'target' locks onto the vehicle in front, doesn't just look straight ahead, since roads could be curved, right? So even if the car in front 'turns' on a curved highway, your car will still keep a safe distance with it. Adaptive cruise probably will work best with lane keeping assist on... so the system knows for sure that the vehicle in front is truly not in the same lane as you are?

Anyway, I noticed my Honda tend to slow down too much or get confused when the vehicle infront slows down and changes lane as well. I suspect this might be a limitation of the system rather than something wrong with your sensor.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had the same problem with our Cadillac. It was fixed with a simple adjustment of the radar unit in the middle of the grill. That was on a 2007 model. I would expect a lot of improvement in 12 years.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
121 Posts
Wow, I had no idea they had adaptive cruise control back in 2007!?!?!? My 1st experience was with my Honda in 2017. I really enjoyed the system while commuting in stop and go traffic on the freeway. Saved me the hassle of having to accelerate and decelerate constantly..., but the system just isn't that reliable for me... especially when the car I was chasing were to change lane... or another vehicle were to change lane in front of me... worst part would be having a motorcyclist cut in front of me! My lease Honda came with those systems included... in all honesty I'm not sure if I'd pay extra for them...

Anyway, perhaps there could be adjustments made to your Sorento similarly to what was done on your Caddy? For me, I had nothing to compared to with this new tech, so I thought perhaps it's just system's limitations..

·
Registered
2020 Sorento EX+ V6 AWD
14 Posts
I have experienced the same issue with the 2020 EX+ adaptive cruise control.
If you find a solution let me know.
My wife just hits and cancel button until the SUV is past the turning vehicle and then presses resume afterward.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
445 Posts
Mine works the same exact way as listed in the first post above, but just give it some gas and override it.

Unrelated to the problem above:
What I find annoying is the auto cruise will sometimes apply the brakes so hard that the imminent collision panic beeps (with extra brake application) occur.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,160 Posts
oh wow, thats scary all right. I am glad my SX didn't come with it in that case. I hope it can be turned off like cruise control when you don't want it. It could help in stop and go traffic when you're need to hit the brakes and miscalculate a stop due to hours in bad traffic.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
965 Posts
If you're in traffic with lots of side streets, I suspect that the cruise is not going to be as seamless as on the highway. I just did a two day 650 mile trip and loved the adaptive cruise.

However, I've also used it on local roads and have the same issues that are described. FWIW, I think that may be the collision avoidance feature rather than the adaptive cruise. I've had it do the same thing when a car in front of me is turning when the cruise is turned off. I get the beep...beep...beep... and the sudden tap of the brakes, then the car is out of the field of view and things all pickup as normal again.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Th
Mine works the same exact way as listed in the first post above, but just give it some gas and override it.

Unrelated to the problem above:
What I find annoying is the auto cruise will sometimes apply the brakes so hard that the imminent collision panic beeps (with extra brake application) occur.
That's what happens on mine too.

·
Registered
965 Posts
If the car in front stops suddenly while in cruise, it will indeed go into collision avoidance and you'll get the beeps and extra braking.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem is that the vehicle has moved out of the way but the Kia is still in accident avoidance mode, except maybe making an accident happen with the guy behind that doesn't have accident avoidance. It gets a little scary.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I agree, it is a bit of a problem when the car suddenly slams on the brakes, it sure got my attention when it happened! Still getting used to all the "safety" features, this is my first car with them.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento Ex
188 Posts

When following another car the system works correctly maintaining the correct distance with the other car. Front vehicle slows, I slow. Front vehicle slows, my brakes apply. Front vehicle moves to right lane to complete a turn. As the other car slows down even more. my car brakes harder and harder trying not to hit the car that is no longer there and my lane is now clear.

It scares the heck out of me and I can only imagine what the guy behind me thinks of this fool slamming on his brakes for nothing as he swerves to avoid me.

I took it in to the dealer to check. Supposedly the radar system is within spec and they could not duplicate the problem. I asked if they tested exactly the way I explained the problem. Of course they didn't.

Thanks.
Your front sensors may b]need to be recalibrated. I had mine fail on my 2019 EX and it also effected the front collision warning system. My problem was the opposite of yours, it didn't recognize when cars were in front of me and I got the occasional dash warning that the collision warning system wasn't working. The smart cruise control didn't see the car in front of me and acted like the standard cruise control. My dealer took about three months before they had a loaner vehicle for me to use. THey had

Thanks.

Thanks.

Thanks.
I had a very similar problem with my 2019 EX. I would get the occasional warning on the dash lights that the collision avoidance sensors were not working but it would just go on for maybe 30 seconds. What occurred while driving is that my smart cruise control acted like standard cruise control and wouldn't detect the vehicle in front of me. I contacted the dealer and it took about three months before the dealership had a loaner vehicle for me to try and diagnose it. After they had it for the week (I dropped it off on a Monday), of Friday they called me and said that they cant replicate the problem and asked me for permission to drive my vehicle home to see if he can get it to replicate the problem. He did get it to occur and he went back and forth with Kia's national troubleshooting resources and they finally found that the front sensors by the front license plate needed replacing. My dealer troubleshooter said that Kia's national troubleshooting resource told him that it was caused by an accident I must have had that damaged the front sensor. Problem is that there was never any accident. My Kia guy sent him pictures of the pristine and undamaged front end, pictures of the wiring harness of the sensors which were all secured properly and looked to be in working order. According to my dealer, he said that he "talked the national troubleshooters" into replacing the sensors and they reluctantly agreed. My dealer guy has no doubt that there were no accident or damage to the sensors but the national guy said he'll do it on a one time courtesy for me. So after having my car for 25 days I finally got it back and it now works as it should. What a joke the national guys are trying to blame me for a sensor failure. Don't let them scam you. Good luck with your Sorento.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
126 Posts
The turning car probably hasn't moved completely out of the lane. If the adaptive CC has even a sliver of the car in what it thinks is the "lane," it's going to slow appreciably. It can't tell a sliver of a car from a pedestrian, I'm guessing. You can always press the accelerator to override for the second or two that you're inconvenienced. <shrugs>

·
Registered
965 Posts
The turning car probably hasn't moved completely out of the lane. If the adaptive CC has even a sliver of the car in what it thinks is the "lane," it's going to slow appreciably. It can't tell a sliver of a car from a pedestrian, I'm guessing. You can always press the accelerator to override for the second or two that you're inconvenienced. <shrugs>
I think you miss the point. It's not about being "inconvenienced", but rather causing an accident when your car nails the brakes and the guy behind you plows into your rear end. In spite of it not being your fault, that will be a major "inconvenience" dealing with getting the car fixed!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
126 Posts
I think you miss the point. It's not about being "inconvenienced", but rather causing an accident when your car nails the brakes and the guy behind you plows into your rear end. In spite of it not being your fault, that will be a major "inconvenience" dealing with getting the car fixed!
Since, by your own hypothetical, your own car has stated slowing before it "slows even more" with the turning car ahead, there's adequate time for the car behind to notice and not plow into your rear end. <shrugs>

·
Registered
965 Posts
Since, by your own hypothetical, your own car has stated slowing before it "slows even more" with the turning car ahead, there's adequate time for the car behind to notice and not plow into your rear end. <shrugs>
You're putting words in my mouth that I didn't speak. I've had the sudden braking happen when just pulling around the person turning, I was not braking at the time or slowing down, just trying to pull around the turning vehicle as I continued straight up the road.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts