Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dispute with my Insurance company on what time an accident happened. I have talked to several dealers and asked are they able to get a timestamp on why the airbag deployed or crash data from the Kia Borrego. They all said no i was wondering is there a scanner i can buy that will give me that kind of data with timestamps. Maybe airbag deployment, when the brakes were applied to hard maybe if the car was idling at the time. When the car was turned off and on. Anything with a timestamp would really be helpful.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
2,972 Posts
no i have never heard of such a thing on automobiles just on airplanes (flight recorders) and they cost more than your car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The data can be extracted from the control unit, but not with a GDS. I've only ever seen Kia engineers do that with thier laptops.

·
Super Moderator
2,972 Posts
The data can be extracted from the control unit, but not with a GDS. I've only ever seen Kia engineers do that with thier laptops.
interesting KIA engineers can pullup real time data time when airbags were deployed if brakes where applied and how hard and if car was idling i thought this was installed in fleet or commercial vehicles so the companies could keep track of how the vehicles where being run.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
I guess there is not time stamp.
I cant say 100% but it appears it will have data such as speed, TPS, maybe some other factors... there is no way to set time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No car has a true timestamp data recorder. There is no easy way to sync time, and even if you have navigation (in the head unit), the ECU has no way to get that gps data.

What you are looking for is a relative timestamp, basically a data recorder that can tell you that you braked, and then 5 seconds later the airbag deployed. As far as I know, there is no consumer device on the market that will allow you to grab it. And even if you could, you could tamper with the evidence, making anything you grab 100% useless anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Kia dealer pulled the data but it just showed the # of mins since the airbag light was on. And even that was incorrect but the insurance company decided to just settle since they could not prove that i was incorrect

1 - 7 of 7 Posts