Kia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2012 Sedona
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my Sedona it seemed real zippy from the start, that may be a good thing but it would be nice if it could be backed off a little. Its too easy to spin the front tires on gravel when you takeoff. Is this normal? Any adjustments?

· Registered
2 Posts
Accelerator adjustment

I also don't like the throttle control on my 2011 Sedona 3.5. The van felt light and powerful for the test drive on a warm summer day, but after 7500 miles and a winter ... I find it overly touchy at takeoff and very easy to unintentionally spin out on slippery surfaces. Oddly it also seems inconsistent with respect to engine response vs pedal position? I suspect some computer reprograming would smooth things out and make it more linear. My dealer says they all drive like that? I'm planning to take a 2012 out for a spin at the next service to confirm. Anyway since no one else is complaining, either we do have a unique problem or I'll have to accept it.

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks ajporter03 ... sounds like they're all the same. Otherwise very happy with the van, but I find this issue to be quite annoying when driving in frequent stop-squirt-and-go urban settings. The calibration is perfect for highway on-ramps though! :) But our friend's 2012 Sorento 3.5 FWD does not have the same overly aggressive throttle. So Kia should be able to offer a recalibration / improvement for the Sedona since they share the same engine & transmission now? I know that's unlikely given that it's the last model year but I can still hope?

· Registered
Toyota Prius, Kia Sedona
3 Posts
My 2012 with only 3K miles is the same way too. Sales Div. must have influenced this aggressive programing to leave the impression of lots of power. But as we're all finding out it's not the best when it comes to everyday driving. Simple reprogram would probably fix it, but manufacturer has little incentive after you've bought the car when 'they're all like that' will usually shut you up. Otherwise I like the car.

· Registered
2012 Sedona LX
13 Posts
Sometimes I wish it wasn't so aggressive. I think it would help with gas mileage. But, at the same time, there is nothing quite like beating a high school age kid off the line and to the next red light. Sure doesn't make them very happy.

· Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
The van that we just bought, '06 with 138k, the throttle was very touchy from a dead stop.
I cleaned the throttle body and all is well, just like a normal car.
The butterfly valve was carboned up and sticking.

· Registered
2012 Sedona, 2002 VW Jetta TDI
5 Posts
My 2012 Sedona is my third Kia and this throttle response is scary sometimes. This is my wife's daily driver and she seems to be somewhat used to it. For me i usually wear boots and only drive it on the weekends. This combination along with the idiot start/stop drivers makes a dangerous situation. The throttle position sensor on My 2002 jetta VW can be adjusted to match the computer when you replace it, I wonder if this is also the case with the Sedona?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.