Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all it is me again. I have been posting getting help from you all with my sportage for my 16 year old girl. Gotto Cruse has been helping me a lot. Well my sportage is running. you turn the key and it fire right up. it did have a hold light blinking and some codes showing
[ see ecm posting} but now it is almost ready. like i said it fire right up and idles well. When you try to drive it, it will not accelerate. some time it will but a minute late it will not. The only code showing is for o2 sensiors but the guys at the shop tell me that is due to catalytic converter being cut out. {another cost after it is running:mad}. we changed the ecm to get it running this good and to loose the other codes if i can get this last thing, i think we may have it. What could cause this? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts
You have 2 O2 sensors, one before the CAT (B1S1), the other after.(B1S2).

A gutted cat would only affect the post CAT sensor (B1S2).. This sensor is for emissions monitoring only, has no affect on the ECU..

The condition you describe points to a restricted exhaust, possibly the debris from the CAT collected in the muffler..

Remove the B1S1 O2 sensor and run the engine, if the condition improves, this indicates a restriction... Philip

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply aquanaut20. i just want to make sure i understand before i go to the shop. are you saying to only remove the B1S1 sensor then run the sportage? sorry for my ignorance. what does that sensor do? if it shows bad does it cause the issue of loos of acceleration i am talking about? how could it be clogged before the CAT? or are you saying remove the entire exhaust system up to that point? you guys rock and are very helpful. hope fully i can get this sporty fixed before my girl turns 16 in june.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts
For clarification. a good breathing exhaust system will generate no more than 2psi of back pressure @ 2000rpm (required for EGR)..

By pulling the B1S1 O2 sensor (test purposes only), this opens the exhaust system close to the engine, thus if the system is restricted the excess pressure will be released via the open bung... If it makes no difference then further investigation is warranted... Philip

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info, i will have them try that for testing purposes only of course. thanks for the help Phillip will post results.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey i talked to my mechanics and they said that was not it. They said they already removed the entire exhaust system to eliminate blockage. They are telling me that it is the timing is good on the sportage but the acceleration timing is not running right. they said it has to be in the junk yard ecm that i boght? they say i need another one. what do you guys think? Also anyone have a good used ECM K08B for sale?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Hi dirtyleft,

You mentioned getting 02 sensor codes w/ the replacement ECM - if you have a code reader/scanner and can post the exact DTC codes pulled from the ECM, that would help us here to help you track down the issue..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2000 Sportage 4x4 , 1998 Saturn SC2
65 Posts
Have you checked the Harmonic Balancer on the crankshaft for tightness ? If it is loose , it will give the symptoms you stated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am so disharted with this suv purchase. It started out so good, a fair price for it and got it running easy but now it seem like there is no fixing it , cheaply that is anyway. I went to the shop today and They said they are out of ideas of what is could be. They eliminated it being, the ecm, the exsuast system, and host of other things. The sportage has good compression in the cylindesr but it just does not have any power. I told them about the Harmonic Balancer but they said they checked the timing but would recheck it again tomorrow by pulling it all out and going through it but if that was not it, that I would have to take it to a Kia dealership. I was hoping for a good ride for my teen that was not going to cost me a lot of money since i do not have a lot of money lol. Anyway, i took my laptop , and em scan 5 and ran it , it cranks right up but has not shows no faults at all. yest there are no trouble codes on my odb2 and the repairs shops either.
we crank it and hold the break and mash the gas and it has hardly any power. any clue as to what else could cause this if not the Harmonic Balancer, maybe crank shaft sensor?

·
Registered
2000 Sportage 4x4 , 1998 Saturn SC2
65 Posts
Has anyone worked on the timing belt before or after you purchased it ? If its off a tooth or two it will run but will have little power and checking the timing with a timing light may not show this.

These engines have both a camshaft and crankshaft position sensor and should give a code but one or two teeth mispositioned on the passenger side camshaft may not get noticed by the ECM and if it doesn't, the timing will look OK with a timing light.

The camshaft position sensor is on the driver side camshaft and if it is clocked correctly with the crankshaft , the ECM cannot see the passenger side if it is mispositioned a tooth or two.

The only way to know is to visually inspect it by removing the front covers an checking it by the book.

This one can slip by un-noticed and you can fix this at no cost,

Dont give up just yet, the dealership is expensive and you may want to do some research on one before taking it to one, because they can have poor mechanics too.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Anyway, i took my laptop , and em scan 5 and ran it , it cranks right up but has not shows no faults at all. yest there are no trouble codes on my odb2 and the repairs shops either.
we crank it and hold the break and mash the gas and it has hardly any power. any clue as to what else could cause this if not the Harmonic Balancer, maybe crank shaft sensor?
re: ElmScan5 - Post some values / a screenshot of the dashboard values (RPM,ECT,AIT,TPS,TIMING,B1S1/B1S2 OS/STFT/LTFT), it would be helpful..

See this thread for how Pofkis posted the info:
http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/84841-long-term-fuel-trim-low.html

--
Post readings w/ the vehicle in closed-loop / ECT > 175 degrees..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
06 mitsubishi eclipce gt-se v6 106k miles , 00 sportage base 72,802 miles 2wd... purple...
98 Posts
any news yet? hows it going?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey guys i am back with an update. sportage still will not run. but i think we are on to something. the thing shoot transmision fluid out of the dip stick down to the wire harness. and caught on fie. we got it out before any damage but this shows us how the harness got burned up. when i bought the car, i was told the harness was its only issue. now i see diffrent. like i state before, it idles like a dream but has not power. looks like it is a tranny issue not but there are not faults coming from the computer. what causes transmission fluid to come out of of the dip stick? is it some type of blockage or is the tranny just bad. right now i paid 1000 for the car, 150 new fuel put assymbly, 100 for new computer, 15 new fule filter. 150 wire harness. and about 500 in labor, if tranny is bad my not be worth fixing.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Sorry to hear your are still having issues w/ the Sporty - Thankfully that happened where you were able to control the situation, and not out on the road, or with your daughter behind the wheel..

Without knowing the (lack of) maintenance history on the transmission, the issue may be in the valve body of the trans - but would start with the easy things to check first (trans breather hose, trans filter, oil cooler lines) to make sure each is clear and free of obstruction..

Inspecting any material at the bottom of the trans pan may give an idea if its worth to attempt investing in a flush/fill/filter change or further diagnostic testing, depending on if / the amount of metal present in the pan..

Given the issues w/ the wiring harness, I would recommend doing at least cursory voltage checks at the trans harness before spending $$$ installing a replacement transmission:

This post by upyourkia:

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/83793-kia-sportage-manual-download.html

has a link to the service manual, download and uncompress using winrar or other decompress utility, where you can view the (auto transmission) section using Adobe Reader, see files group42-3.pdf and group42-4.pdf for troubleshooting and voltage testing values..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey i have an update. i went to my mechanics today and they had it running. WOW it was running like a champ. when i asked they what they did they said they have no idea. messed with the crank sensor and now it runs. i drive it around for a while bit today. it now just needs a power stearning pump. i bid on one from ebay and hopefully it will stay running. i am blessed, thank you all so so much for all the help.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
That's good news - glad to hear the Sporty is running well now.. Kudo's to those mechanics for hanging in there and finding the issue.

Hope your daughter enjoys the Sporty!

Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 17 of 17 Posts