Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i'm going to describe my problem and maybe someone can give me some tips. Ok, my AC had been working fine since i got my 2000 Kia Sephia in 2002 up until about 4-5 months ago. I started smelling the r-134a ac coolant coming out of the ac vents and a slight moldy smell. That lasted about 2-3 days till the ac completly stopped cooling. Would this be the evaporator? or something else? I know that changing out the evaporator will be a MAJOR pain in the butt, and the cheapest I have found a new one is about $244 :( Thanx in advance for any help.

Aleph

·
Registered
18 Posts
Perhaps a little clearer explanation of "stopped working." Do you mean it doesn't blow air at all, or is it blowing air, but it is hot air? When you turn on the heater, does the air get hotter? Be as descriptive as possible and someone will be happy to help you out.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia LS, 1998 Kia Sportage 4x4, 2002 Kia Sportage 4x4
1,252 Posts
not that you have the equipment for this or anything, but you could put dye in the system and see where the leak is. if you can't find it in the engine bay anywhere, the only thing left is the evaporator. are you sure it was refrigerant that you smelled? i dunno what kind of tools you have to diagnose a/c problems. not everyone can just have an a/c machine and a set of gauges laying around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts