Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I can't find it in search, but...

Despite using the 'push button 5 times' protocol, and the AC switch stays dark, I find the defrost settings still turning on my AC in defrost. Like there's no defeating it.

While the AC switch can be turned on/off in Defrost, and I have it chosen to automatically stay off, the front windshield fogs up at the bottom in the pattern of the front defrost vent. This tells me the AC still comes on in Defrost.

Only thing I have not yet done is jump out of the car to throw open the hood and see the compressor spinning. May try that later if it ever stops raining.

Or am I nuts? (No offense to people here that are genuinely nuts.)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
The 'push 5 times air intake control button' worked for me. I can control the AC setting when selecting the defrost. I know because the entire windshield is getting foggy again under certain circumstances unless I select AC again.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You need AC on to dehumidify interior air so that windows won't fog. I thought "de-frost" was getting rid of external ice?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK.

Defrost = windshield blowing hot - AC.
Defog = windshield blowing hot + AC.

But I had the blower fully onto the windshield and the AC switch off.

Yet after the windshield cleared inside, the outside windshield had cold condensation right over the dashboard vents and with the same pattern.

Why would my AC be on when the switch says its off?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
407 Posts
my a/c makes an annoying noise, so i always know if it is on or not.
i can confirm that when in auto mode, the a/c is always on, no matter what the a/c light indicates. even if i turn it off, if the auto defog comes on, the a/c turns back on, even once the auto defog cycle finishes. basically i can't turn it off, which is even more annoying because of the noise it makes!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
By default the AC is on when setting the blower to the windshield even if the AC indicator is not on. This can be reprogrammed by hitting the left air intake button 5 times within 3 seconds but I thought that's what you did. In this case AC will automatically turn on including the AC light but you can turn it off.

The problem with this is that once you disconnect the battery for some reason this setting will reset to default.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
LA Foal, yes, this is exactly what happens. Just went out and checked the systems.

By default, when you put on either defog, the AC comes on in the background without the AC switch coming on. Like in the pic below.

I thought wrongly that the AC was off.

When one resets to manual via the 5 taps, the new default is for the AC and its light to both come on but the AC can now be defeated. Here it is "on". Just tap it off and the AC turns off, light turns off.

So now I have it set so the AC light comes on everytime and just turn it off when I want to. I'll probably use that more in the winter for hot melting.

In short, I understood the default setting backwards. My bad. :(

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 // LX Clear White w/ Pwr Pkg
83 Posts
How does one go about performing the "5-taps method"?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts