Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX Turbo
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took home a 2013 Sportage SX and noticed yesterday that the AC - even at its coldest setting - never gets cold. It gets a tiny bit cold, but that's it.

Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is that it was very hot outside yesterday - 90 degrees plus, but I would think it still would work properly.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
You need to take it back to your Kia dealership. This is NOT a common problem. Warranty will take care of it for you.

·
Registered
2013 Blk SX AWD Auto
5 Posts
Yea, take it to the dealer. I have a SX and it puts out an ample amount of cold air. Its been in the 80's a few days here and on high the AC freezes me to here I have to turn it down.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Just took home a 2013 Sportage SX and noticed yesterday that the AC - even at its coldest setting - never gets cold. It gets a tiny bit cold, but that's it.

Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is that it was very hot outside yesterday - 90 degrees plus, but I would think it still would work properly.
I assume it's a brand new car? Does it have automatic climate? When it's hot, I will set the temp all the way down to 'LO' and hit 'RECIRC'. After it cools off, take it off RECIRC and set the temp up around 73 or so. It will only produce the coldest air continuously when on LO and RECIRC. Otherwise it gradually raises the forced air temperature to avoid chilling the occupants.
Bottom line, if you set it on 73 on a hot day without touching anything else, it will take awhile to meet the temperature but it should meet it within a few minutes. What I'm saying is, it's about meeting a reasonable temperature setting in a reasonable time when on auto, not just producing cold air.
I guess it's 'dual control' too? Make sure the two sides are synchronized - they will when you push only the driver's side 'AUTO' button. Then both sides will dial the same temp as the driver's side.
Adjust the registers - make sure your dash registers are pointed at you.
If if defaults to floor/dash, manually set it on dash registers only to get the maximum cooling effect.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I assume it's a brand new car? Does it have automatic climate? When it's hot, I will set the temp all the way down to 'LO' and hit 'RECIRC'. After it cools off, take it off RECIRC and set the temp up around 73 or so. It will only produce the coldest air continuously when on LO and RECIRC. Otherwise it gradually raises the forced air temperature to avoid chilling the occupants.
You shouldn't have to do anything like that to get the AC working; AUTOMATIC should do what it says. The OP probably has a defective system and as usual, he's trying to convince himself that there's something wrong with the settings. There should be no doubt that the AC is working; it should produce COLD air, even when the interior temperature starts off hot.

Only problem that I've ever had with an auto system is that the fan boost on one system was a bit over-enthusiastic and I set it back to manual.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX Turbo
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I tried as 1saxman suggested. I set the temp at 73 and the recirc button, and the AC seemed to work a bit. However, when I pressed the Auto button, both the AC and Recirc button turned off - I guess it cycles off and on to keep the temp?

Still, my experience with AC in my previous cars is that the AC gets cold immediately.

The dealer will look at it on Tuesday. I'm curious what they say, considering I purchased the car new and it has all of 188 miles on it so far.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Definitely take it into the dealer. Better to find out right away if it has a problem or if it's just based on your perceptions. On auto it will hold the temperature you set, assuming it is feasible to reach that setting. IOW, you're not going to get 50 degrees inside the car on a 90 degree day. Again, on 'AUTO', the air temp will be blended based on the thermostat setting you put in, the car inside temp and the outside temp, so you may not be getting really frigid air at most times. The key is, does it attain and hold the temp you select, as long as that temp is reasonable? If it does, and the pressures in the system and the fan speeds, etc. pass inspection at the dealership, operation would be considered nominal. It's not about cold air - it's about comfort in the cabin. If you simply can't accept that or learn to operate it, don't use 'AUTO'.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX Turbo
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Will do.

I guess I'm just used to the AC kicking in really quickly in my previous cars.

I'm just going to set the temp and let Auto do its thing.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX Turbo
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the dealer tells me the AC is fine and the problem is user error.

Oh, well.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage EX
7 Posts
2013 EX A/C issue

Owned my EX for 2 months now and am having to take it back to dealership for the 2nd time to get my A/C fixed.
Thanks to this thread, when I brought it in the first time, I told them about what this site has been saying. They checked there maintenance issues and none had been reported. When they checked the system, I only had 0.5 oz of coolant. It is supposed to have almost 2.5oz. They checked and couldn't find my issue, but they did add a die to trace it. The very next day, back to the blazing heat.
They tried to find a evaporator: no where in North Carolina. They were faced with either finding one out of state or going to the Mfg in Korea. Luckily they are having one shipped from Jacksonville, FL. All of a sudden, this problem is hitting KIA big. No one has parts for the A/C system. 3 weeks later I get to take my car back to dealership to have them tear apart the dash to get at the system and replace the part.
FYI out there :)

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,868 Posts
so you had a leak..............

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage EX
7 Posts
I'm going with 'yes' because I am down to no cool air coming out. The drive home after the refill, I could hear a gurgling sound coming from under the dash. Didn't think anything of it till the next day driving and had no cold air. Told service about this and that's when they said they would order the part and call me to set up an exchange (rental car for mine for the day) to do the work.
Went from no service issues concerning the A/C system in KIA maintenance to all of a sudden a rash of problems. Glad it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mike - Kia Sportage 2013

Hi I have the same problem with the Air Con on Auto not working - Brand new vehicle just deliverd so a little disapointing as can't get booked in to dealership to check for another 2 weeks and in the UK Summer dosn't last that long!! :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
if it's user error like the dealer sez, what was done wrong and how was it corrrected?
What he did 'wrong' was fail to understand how the system works. For example, when you manually set controls, like push the AC button (which turns on the light to remind you that you've locked it on) the system reverts to manual control. Then, pushing the 'auto' button returns control to the system - in this case, the system reset 'Recirc' to 'fresh air' based on the temps outside and inside the car. The AC light also was extinguished because it does not cycle on and off with the compressor in 'Auto' mode - there would be no benefit to having that little light flashing on and off every few seconds and it could be distracting.
The system works great if left set on a comfortable temperature. In some states you could go from 100F outside to 30F simply by driving from the desert to the mountains, and the system would manage the cooling and heating completely without occupant input. It's the first such system I have had, and I didn't think I would like it - I was wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts