Kia Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima LX 2.4 Inline 4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I have a 2004 Kia Optima with an AC problem. When I first bought the car in October, it had cold AC in the fall (was also fall though, so didn’t use it much). Fast forward to March of this year, no AC. Filled it with refrigerant, no issues until about 2 weeks ago. Started feeling weak, but not hot. Still feels somewhat cool, but not cold AC. Went to add refrigerant, showed it was on the low green spectrum at about 40 PSI on the low pressure line. While car was running on max AC max setting as said to do by book (and was done last time), it showed at 10 PSI on the gauge. Began filling, it quickly jumped from 40 to over 70 PSI into the red and actually bubbled out after I picked the gauge up off the line. The compressor is spinning no issues, cleaned the condenser with coil cleaner, the line feels cold near the cabin and evaporator, and about halfway down towards the power steering pump and reservoir is where the low pressure line stops feeling cold and just feels warm. A hissing sound can be heard inside the cabin, and sometimes it will intermittently stop if you take a very sharp turn. No refrigerant smell inside the cabin though. I’m presuming the leaks either in the cabin and or at the halfway point in the line. Not sure if accidentally overfilling it plugged the line up (it had stop leak in the refrigerant, that’s all I could find). Some help would be appreciated. Sorry if this post was too long, just trying to be thorough

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima LX 2.4 Inline 4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Also worth noting, adjusting the temperature knob does seem to make a difference in the temperature of the air that is coming out. Also the car is a 2.4 inline 4 cylinder engine with an auto transmission.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts