Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 kia sorento 3.5 v6 gas
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed over the past few years that my AC cooling has been lacking in my 2004 Sorento. At 150,000 miles I just figured my compressor was getting a little weak. A few months back I replaced the compressor, expansion valve and the dryer bag. I had a service shop evacuate it and refill it with the proper freon charge.

The system would cool down eventually but it was taking forever to pull the hot air out and cool the vehicle down. I decided that I needed to get a good look and my evaporator to make sure that it wasn't plugged full of debris. I've pulled my blower motor out in the past to remove a few leaves that had gotten into the blower cage. I figured it was possible to have some dirt and debris built up across the fins.

In the pictures below you can see how I cut a hole in the duct box to gain access to the evaporator. The other option is to pull out the dash and take the duct apart......... I'm going the easy route.... :D My evaporator was completely covered with fine dust, hair like particles and random debris that is in the air. The fact that this vehicle doesn't have a cabin filter allows all of this to get sucked into the evaporator.

I washed it out with a garden hose, being careful not to get too much water in since you don't want it to run into the fan housing. I also used some evaporator cleaner that disinfects and cleans the core. After it was cleaned I used RTV black sealant and some plastic sheeting to cover the hole back up. I forgot to take pics of the dirty evaporator.....I was so excited to find my problem that I forgot! :D Hopefully my experience can help someone else out!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Where exactly is this evap coil? I really cant tell from the pictures....possibly post a few more pictures or maybe take another from further back? It wouldn't matter if the cover you made was on or off.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
Thats why people NEED to replace the cabin filters to keep the evap clean!! At least people that have them from the factory, most 2006 and all 2007 and up kia's have a cabin filter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Evap location.

The evaporator is located directly behind the glove box. It will be very obvious once the glove box is out.

·
Registered
'08 Sorento, '18 Civic Type R, '90 Vortech Supercharged TransAm, '03 VF-34 WRX, '97 Del Sol SI
132 Posts
"I also used some evaporator cleaner that disinfects and cleans the core."

what brand did you use and how effective was it? (i used a can of CRC coil cleaner on one of my other vehicles' evaporator but it didn't help much)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't remember what brand I used it was the only thing available at Napa. It did leave a good odor once I was done.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
A bottle of "Awsome" from the Dollar Stores sprayed on it and rinsed will clean everything off it. Awsome is the old/original formula of Fantastic before they made Fantastic "Nice" to your hands... Best bang for a Buck!
My 06 Spectra did not come with a cab air filter..
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts