Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on a total cleaning of my AC system this spring when the weather gets warmer. I plan on replacing the cabin air filter again and using a product called BG Frigi cleaner and BG Frigi Refresher to clean so my AC system is totally clean. Instead of going to the dealer and probably spending hundreds for the TSB for it, I plan on doing it myself for around $50. The BG Frigi cleaner requires the access of the drain tube (where the water drains out of the car when using the AC). I was wondering if anyone knows if its accessible without elevating the car and if its easy to locate. I would look but the weather here is cold and lots of snow. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
965 Posts
It usually is a thin rubber tube with the end pinched to keep out dirt while allowing a drip. It will typically be found low on the firewall on the passenger side, almost always requiring access under the car to work on it. If you can't get under the car without raising it, you'll have to use ramps or jack stands.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, hopefully I can fit under the car and not have to resort to jackstands. : )

·
Registered
'12 Sportage SX AWD
37 Posts
I was able to reach it without jacking and went under from the driver’s side... But then again I am really tall with a long reach and only had to slide under on my back up to my shoulders... But if you are thin enough you would be able to go under far enough while on your back.

The best tip I can give you and get under there with a mirror. When I first tried to locate it I keep looking by the firewall but I could not find it... I took a mirror under there with me and found it quickly. It’s more like to the left of where the cabin air filter is located, almost in the center under the radio....

The second best tip is only use the BG is you are looking for a nice smell. The OEM Kia clean kit disinfectant is double the size of anything on the market at half the cost off what you are about to spend... and it comes with the nice freshener for spraying from the hood side.

Whenever I purchase something at the dealer I will not pay more than Kia’s retail cost. I never let them up charge. All you have to is have a print out showing Kia's retail cost.

UM090-CH035 - Kia Parts - Kia A/C REFRESHER K

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the tip. I already got the BG canisters, the referesher was under $9 but A/C evap cleaner was $25. I totally forgot about that KIA sells them too, Ill do that next time I need to do another treatment. Im waiting on a nice warm day to get under the car and clean the evap and vents. I was bored so I slid under the car (from behind the driver's side front tire) and found easily enough found the drain hose.

Here is a video of the cleaning procedure:

·
Registered
'12 Sportage SX AWD
37 Posts
Just picked up two cleaner kits at the local Kia/Suzuki dealer. The Suzuki labeled kit was only $15.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts