Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd put some info out here. I had been having a musty odor coming from my vents whenever I'd turn the fan on (AC on or off). After looking around a bit, I found the Kia "AC Refresher Kit" (Kia Part #UM090-CH035), but the dealer wanted $42 for the kit. I found a thread on the Subaru Forester forum that had some pictures and it looked like the Subaru AC Refresher Kit (Subaru Part #SOA868V9315) is essentially the exact same stuff as the Kia kit, just with a different label on it, and costs quite a bit less as well ($17.95 from the dealer).

Anyways, tried out the kit before the weekend and it seems to have worked great! It left a chemically-clean smell for a day or so, but that has faded and now I just have clean, non-musty air coming from the vents!

The process was very simple and quite easy to do without putting the Rondo up on a lift or jacking the front up, even. It's a reach, but the drain hose is able to be reached from the top. Just reach around behind the engine and it's there, clamped to the firewall.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Good info here thanks! The Kia kit works great also, have used it many times!

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
I guess I will need to do it this summer...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figure, for under $18 from the Subaru dealer, doesn't hurt to do every so often, even as preventative maintenance!

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Man was your Kia dealer ripping you off, or at least trying!....the Kia kit I sell(UM090-CH035) has a list price of $26.00, if any one wants one, I'll sell for $19.00.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, they aren't the most helpful at Central Kia in Plano, but they are close to me. I've had better luck with getting parts and warranty service at the Southwest Kia in Mesquite, but I just don't like that part of town. I bought my last car from Subaru of Plano and they have pretty much always been easy to deal with, so for a generic part, I thought, why not! If I could buy from you and pick up at a dealer close to me, I would! :)

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
the Kia kit I sell(UM090-CH035) has a list price of $26.00, if any one wants one, I'll sell for $19.00.
I guess I would. Is it enough for two cars?

·
Registered
Current: 2007 Kia Rondo LX I4. Former: 2006 Kia Spectra5
226 Posts
Man was your Kia dealer ripping you off, or at least trying!....the Kia kit I sell(UM090-CH035) has a list price of $26.00, if any one wants one, I'll sell for $19.00.
I'm interested also. How much is shipping?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I would. Is it enough for two cars?
One kit is enough for one car only. You empty the entire can of foaming contents into the evaporator drain hose, then you also empty the whole "freshening" spray into the outside air intake.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts

·
Registered
'07 rondo ex V6
47 Posts
If you drive around with the recirculation button engaged or Max Air is selected, you will end up with a smelly A/C unit. Fresh outside air will keep mold from forming in the evaporator area..that's what you are smelling.

The only time we use these two modes is when driving in smoky or dusty or smelly areas....at 60k, no nasty smells from the A/C.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drive around down here sometime with crazy high pollen counts and 115 temps and tell me whether you like using recirc or not! ;)

·
Banned
79 Posts
This is a very interesting topic, and I'm curious, what is the process of cleaning this thing out? Do you have any pics, or a detailed list of steps of how to actually clean it out etc? My Rondo is still new, no smell yet, but this would be good info to keep in mind for the day that the vents etc DO start smelling etc, which they all do eventually, from my experience.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys might have on this.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a very interesting topic, and I'm curious, what is the process of cleaning this thing out? Do you have any pics, or a detailed list of steps of how to actually clean it out etc?
I found a thread on the Subaru Forester forum that had some pictures and it looked like the Subaru AC Refresher Kit (Subaru Part #SOA868V9315) is essentially the exact same stuff as the Kia kit, just with a different label on it, and costs quite a bit less as well ($17.95 from the dealer).

The process was very simple and quite easy to do without putting the Rondo up on a lift or jacking the front up, even. It's a reach, but the drain hose is able to be reached from the top. Just reach around behind the engine and it's there, clamped to the firewall.
Same process, no matter the car. Shove the wedge on the hose into the drain hose, empty the can. Pull the wedge/hose out when you the can is empty, let drain for 10 minutes. No need to disconnect the compressor, just leave A/C off when you are running the fan in the different positions with the deodorizer spray. Directions are on the cans of stuff.

·
Registered
'07 rondo ex V6
47 Posts
Drive around down here sometime with crazy high pollen counts and 115 temps and tell me whether you like using recirc or not! ;)
I guess if I had to endure those kinds of conditions, I'd be hostile too. I was trying to point out one of the reasons why a/c units get a nasty smell. I also have a 23 yr old Nissan with no oders coming from the a/c because I rarely run it on recirc.

Sounds like you have a cure for it though. Stay kool!!:)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hehehe, I do understand there are ways to help prevent the evaporator from staying damp, but unfortunately, climate and weather patterns can be not so good in this part of the country, so A/C Refresher Kit for $18, I'm glad someone makes you!

Not sure why the Rondo exhibited this, but no other vehicle I've owned has. Behavior of max A/C on, all the time is a norm around here!

·
Registered
Current: 2007 Kia Rondo LX I4. Former: 2006 Kia Spectra5
226 Posts
Same here in Austin...recirc all summer long. Most cars will not stay cold enough without recirc except maybe on long highway trips. It's just life in Texas, and really most of the southern US. It just gets HOT.

I do try to blow my AC out when I stop though, i.e., after I turn the engine off I put the fan on high setting fresh air for about 30 seconds or so before exiting the car.

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Howdy,
so I got the kit, but... the adapter tube - it is not there. What I got was only two cans (step 1 - large and step 2 - small).

In KIA TSB
http://www.xoutpost.com/attachments/x5-e53-forum/51550d1315191773-ac-evaporator-cleaning-method-tsb-cli-016-rev1.pdf
there is a picture of the kit with the tube.

Any clue?
Looks like the dealer didn't give you all the parts. The tube is a part of the kit, along with the two cans. What you see in the TSB is what I got with mine. Tube with wedge on one end, other end has a fitting to go on top of the big can.

thanks for your sharing, i will try these but i want to know how much ?
$17.95 from my local Subaru dealer (see first post).

After looking around a bit, I found the Kia "AC Refresher Kit" (Kia Part #UM090-CH035), but the dealer wanted $42 for the kit. I found a thread on the Subaru Forester forum that had some pictures and it looked like the Subaru AC Refresher Kit (Subaru Part #SOA868V9315) is essentially the exact same stuff as the Kia kit, just with a different label on it, and costs quite a bit less as well ($17.95 from the dealer).

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
Good info here thanks! The Kia kit works great also, have used it many times!
Looks like the dealer didn't give you all the parts. The tube is a part of the kit, along with the two cans.
Thanks for your input.

I got two kits for both of my cars.
Can I reuse the tube for the other car?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts