Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( I'm all stressed out! I was driving home this afternoon in my 2003 Kia Sorento (71K miles) and the ABS light came on and stayed on! According to the manual, this means the anti lock braking system has a malfunction. However, it doesn't mention if its safe to drive it until I can take it to the shop?? I have to drive 140 miles tomorrow but usually drive 42 miles a day to and from work. PLEASE...is this something that I need to take care of like tomorrow, or can I wait a few days to the weekend? And is it safe to drive it? Is there anything I can try to see if it will shut off? I'm one who knows very little about cars!!! Thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,100 Posts
it should be safe..

·
Registered
1999 Kia Shuma
14 Posts
Ok here's a brief explanation of ABS, feel free tocorrect me if i'm wrong, techy ppl..

ABS is for use in situations when the tyres skid due to hard braking, i.e you do an emergency stop when its raining, if you press and hold the brakes on a car without ABS, the tyres will skid, thats why on driving test they make you pump the brakes during an emergency stop, so it stops the car from skidding, and thus stopping sooner... ABS is like an electronic rapidly pumping brake pedal, when it detects skid it pumps the brakes at a very fast pace... sometimes it can feel like a juddering... if your in a snowy climate or excessive rain climate, i would recommend getting it fixed asap... anything else i'd still get it fixed as soon as you can but not an excessive urgency...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing occured on my sedona. I was told it was ok to drive but bring it in. Well two days later and more lights came on and now I'm being hit with a $700 repair bill for a new ECU that was damaged by a faulty alternator.

Take it in and have it checked out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my van a few months ago. Turned out that the ABS sensor wires leading to both front wheels were damaged. Replaced the cables ($15 each) and everything was perfect again. Moral of this story: have a look around the inside of the wheels and see if any cables are dangling or cut!

Devin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I hope your ABS Light On is solved. If not, have it Hi-Scanned to locate the fault and it is most likely faulty ABS Sensors (there are four sensors, 1 each FRT LH and RH, 1 each RR LH and RH)..... service the sensor first and have the fault reset...... if problem persists, have the sensor replaced.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
64 Posts
Dealer can do nothing about it but to change the ABS module which will cost you around 750 USD. My friend got the same problem and the dealer tried their best to rectify the problem. They told him they tried resetting and deleting the indication. But everytime they turn on the ignition key, ABS light just comes back on again. Lucky it was still under warranty so they changed the ABS module

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by lawgirl5@Jun 1 2005, 10:23 PM
:(  I'm all stressed out!  I was driving home this afternoon in my 2003 Kia Sorento (71K miles) and the ABS light came on and stayed on!  According to the manual, this means the anti lock braking system has a malfunction.  However, it doesn't mention if its safe to drive it until I can take it to the shop??  I have to drive 140 miles tomorrow but usually drive 42 miles a day to and from work.  PLEASE...is this something that I need to take care of like tomorrow, or can I wait a few days to the weekend?  And is it safe to drive it?  Is there anything I can try to see if it will shut off?  I'm one who knows very little about cars!!!  Thanks!!!!

lawgirl,

Could you please tell me how this turned out? My ABS light comes on sporadically. It won't turn off until I turn the ignition off, then when I turn the ignition back on it is gone, only to turn back on at a later time. This sounds like a sensor to me, but I would really appreciate learning how your situation ended up.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Originally posted by beyond_help@Aug 31 2005, 03:35 PM
ABS is trouble and expensive to fix and IMO overated, that is why my sorento does not have ABS

I totally agree with this statement...I do not have it either.

Learn how to properly emergency brake, and you don't need ABS.

God I love those driving schools.... :banana:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts