Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Kia Sedona USA, Nevada
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Sedona base model approx 120,000miles. So occasionally the ABS ESC OFF lights will kick on and simultaneously the speedometer stops working. There's no loss of power. There is however a grinding in the brakes when pressed. It's not the rotors they are less that 1 year old. I'm wondering if the speedometer kicking off is causing the ABS to malfunction because the computer can not track the tires properly? Or if it might be a faulty wheel speed sensor which is causing the issue? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Sedona '02
142 Posts
2010 Sedona base model approx 120,000miles. So occasionally the ABS ESC OFF lights will kick on and simultaneously the speedometer stops working. There's no loss of power. There is however a grinding in the brakes when pressed. It's not the rotors they are less that 1 year old. I'm wondering if the speedometer kicking off is causing the ABS to malfunction because the computer can not track the tires properly? Or if it might be a faulty wheel speed sensor which is causing the issue? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Could be the ABS sensors on the wheel knuckle. It measures the wheel turning (those saw tooth ring around the CV joint). They are not cheap. But, you can change them yourself. You should check which one is faulty. You can find how to figure out which is bad and also how to change on youtube videos. They are all pretty similar in position and changing.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
144 Posts
I'm wondering if the speedometer kicking off is causing the ABS to malfunction... Or if it might be a faulty wheel speed sensor which is causing the issue?
I think the speedo failure is a symptom of the ABS fault and not the other way round. The fault might be caused by a faulty wheel speed sensor, or not. You'd really need to have the ABS module scanned to see what trouble code has been logged to get a clue. That likely means a trip to your local garage. Most DIY scan tools are unable to communicate with the ABS module.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Sedona USA, Nevada
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the speedo failure is a symptom of the ABS fault and not the other way round. The fault might be caused by a faulty wheel speed sensor, or not. You'd really need to have the ABS module scanned to see what trouble code has been logged to get a clue. That likely means a trip to your local garage. Most DIY scan tools are unable to communicate with the ABS module.
Thanks for the tip. Do you think the code would be able to say which wheel sensor is malfunctioning or are they typically vague?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
144 Posts
Do you think the code would be able to say which wheel sensor is malfunctioning or are they typically vague?
Each wheel sensor has it's own trouble codes so scanning the module should point you to a specific circuit that needs to be diagnosed.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
36 Posts
My 03 Sedona EX has the ABS sensor sheared off at the front passenger side, brakes work fine but ABS light is on. It will chime at me if I brake hard into a right turn. Think I've seen those sensors on rockauto for about $18 each, not terribly hard to change out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts