Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my wife and I are planning to buy either a 2016/2017/2018 Sedona. We are looking for a van for our growing family. I REALLY like the Sedona, it just doesn't look so "soccer-mom" which i'm sure you all agree. My only concern is the gas mileage. In 2022 it feels annoying to get a car that says 18/24mpg. Do you all find the mpg to be an annoyance or is it really not that bad? I see that a lot of them come with an "Eco-Mode", does that significantly bump the MPG?

Random question, are there any "quirks" I should know about the Sedona or KIA in general? Such as, does it take regular gas, or a premium type? (I only like cars that take regular unleaded cheaper gas). Is maintenance simple and easy (such as with a Honda / Toyota)? I used to own a Volkswagen and maintenance was pricey and it required premium expensive gas.

Final 2 questions:
My wife really wants a sunroof, but from what I see that ONLY comes with the SX-L trim, right?
Apple CarPlay is ONLY available on 2017 and newer, right?

We are wanting specifically a Sedona with 2 captain chairs middle row (not the 3-seat bench) and leather seats. Sunroof would be nice. Apply CarPlay would be nice. Neither would be a bummer.
Thank you!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just know that there are know power door and turn signal issues with the van that are covered by extended warranties, other than that great van
thanks. does your 2016 EX have captain chairs with armrests in the middle row or the 3 seat bench with the removable middle seat? yours looks really nice in the profile pic

· Registered
2016 Sedona LX 118k miles, 2003 Mazda Protege5 229k miles
108 Posts
This reply may be all over the place as I remember things to add as I typed it, adhd is fun! Hopefully you find it useful!

I don't have answers to the last questions you ask, I will share my experience in owning mine though. I have a 16 LX, got about 120k miles on the odo from 84k when I got it. The eco mode doesn't really do anything noticeable to the MPG. I can get as high as 24 but usually return about 19 avg. Have had it come back as low as 16 when I drove it to work for a couple weeks (in town only). I notice more on the eco with the throttle response, either way I find the throttle annoying as it seems to do what it wants when I ease down to about 50% when climbing a grade or just going from a lower speed limit to a higher one. I prefer the older cable to throttle vs drive by wire the sedona uses. maintenance wise, The tune up on the van isn't the easiest if you are a DIY type but it's not expensive for parts. the direct injection causes some coking on the intake valves and mine were pretty bad when I did the tune up. causes a warm up misfire here and there but no CEL in nearly 40k of driving. The parking brake on mine has been out of adjustment for forever and my attempt at dialing it in didn't go 100%, may need new shoes. As far as fuel, I run regular but try and stick to stations that sell "top tier" as the detergents are said to help the valve coking problem as per another car forum I was in with another Di engine. Other maintenance things, I'd look on rock auto at parts to get an idea but nothing has stood out as pricey other than the lack of some aftermarket parts (suspension comes to mind from a somewhat recent post) Headlights are good for halogen units and the high and low beam use the same type bulb, the low beams are a little tricky to get out, both the cover and the bulb are harder to get loose from their socket and it's tight back there. IIRC the bumper cover needs to come off if the headlight housing needs to be removed. The tail lights on mine and a few others I have seen here have a problem with moisture build up, I drilled a few holes on the bottom of the lights to let it out so it wouldn't pool up and eat at the reflective coating inside the light. I have seen MANY on the highways while driving the semi that were filled up about 1/2 way with water.

Interior, The seats clean up great for cloth, I haven't had a single stain that wouldn't come off with a bissell and the cleaner that you could get from wal-mart. I prefer cloth over leather so I can't say about their leather seats. I have lost one chrome piece from a vent and the chrome is flaking in many other places on the hvac and radio knobs. The heated seats work great still. another annoyance is the acc ports are all key switched some are bothered by this others not so much. My rear seats are the captain chairs with removable middle, the chairs fold up snug to the front seats, larger items in the rear may take some fiddling with sliding the rears before folding to get the tightest fit to the front seats. I use the seat anchors in the floor for cargo hooks when needed. I've carried a 2 ton ac condensor and air handler back there before, I really enjoy the space and second to a safer vehicle for my daughter to ride in was why I got it.

Bonus, if you want to tow, the hitch is pretty easy to self install and the wiring is already back there on the RH side under a panel that gets removed. It has two plugs with caps that a box plugs into to get a 4 pin trailer harness. rated at 3k lbs WITH a brake controller and 1k w/o it. It took me an hour to install.

· Registered
2017 Sedona LX 3.3L V6
254 Posts
Its true it has more of a fast daddy look than soccer mom ;) ... Your main concern is the gas mileage and your right, its not a slow sipper in town. 18mpg is a bit idealistic. In town I get more like 14mph. (15-17L/100km) anything above 17L/100 means im pushing it (with new average, trip to drive thru, or "jackrabbit starts"), or towing. I got it down to 8mpg when towing at above 70mph with a flat/pierced-but still inflated tire in the back. At that point we were in north florida and still had six hours to do for Orlando. Stopping for gas every hour or so because the gas stations always seemed so far away (because it was driking gas so damn fast, I think the back tire must have been under 30psi already but the tension bars setup on the hitch hided that. (3150pounds camper, +2 adults, 4 kid-car seats, 4 kids... (5-600 pounds of "people")

· Registered
2016 Sedona EX
137 Posts
thanks. does your 2016 EX have captain chairs with armrests in the middle row or the 3 seat bench with the removable middle seat? yours looks really nice in the profile pic
Captain chairs only came in SX, EX has leather and some other toys like voice recognition for calls and radio

· Registered
2015 Sedona SXL
9 Posts
Hi my wife and I are planning to buy either a 2016/2017/2018 Sedona. We are looking for a van for our growing family. I REALLY like the Sedona, it just doesn't look so "soccer-mom" which i'm sure you all agree. My only concern is the gas mileage. In 2022 it feels annoying to get a car that says 18/24mpg. Do you all find the mpg to be an annoyance or is it really not that bad? I see that a lot of them come with an "Eco-Mode", does that significantly bump the MPG?

Random question, are there any "quirks" I should know about the Sedona or KIA in general? Such as, does it take regular gas, or a premium type? (I only like cars that take regular unleaded cheaper gas). Is maintenance simple and easy (such as with a Honda / Toyota)? I used to own a Volkswagen and maintenance was pricey and it required premium expensive gas.

Final 2 questions:
My wife really wants a sunroof, but from what I see that ONLY comes with the SX-L trim, right?
Apple CarPlay is ONLY available on 2017 and newer, right?

We are wanting specifically a Sedona with 2 captain chairs middle row (not the 3-seat bench) and leather seats. Sunroof would be nice. Apply CarPlay would be nice. Neither would be a bummer.
Thank you!
Our 2015 Sedona SX-L has Carplay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.