Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have nice temps outside. I really don't need the AC on at all. I could use more outside air. With the Dual Zone Automatic Temperature Control shut off I press the fan control up higher and the AC comes on, the cabin temps chill down, fuel economy suffers.

I tried turning the temp control up to 75 to discourage the AC, but the compressor seems to be staying on...

Is there any way to just have the fan running a little higher w/o necessarily having the AC come on?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
769 Posts
Best way I can describe it is that Auto controls each aspect of the climate. Once you touch a control, it is no longer managed by the computer. Touch each one to take that aspect manual: temperature, fan, recirc, direction, AC.

So, for example, if you did not touch fan but touch all the others, then when you change the temperature, the fan would increase or decrease according to the computer program.

Based on my observations. May not be the same for all models or regions.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX FWD 4cyl, Titanium/Black
65 Posts
We have nice temps outside. I really don't need the AC on at all. I could use more outside air. With the Dual Zone Automatic Temperature Control shut off I press the fan control up higher and the AC comes on, the cabin temps chill down, fuel economy suffers.

I tried turning the temp control up to 75 to discourage the AC, but the compressor seems to be staying on...

Is there any way to just have the fan running a little higher w/o necessarily having the AC come on?

Thanks in advance.

1) Start in Auto mode - the A/C button light will be off, but the A/C is on.
2) Press the A/C button twice - the A/C button light will be off, and the A/C is disabled. You will also no longer see the Auto mode displayed.
3) Use the dial to change the temperature up or down. The system will automatically adjust the fan speed and mode, and A/C will remain off.

The only thing that should turn the A/C back on is if you go back in Auto mode or use the front defroster.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
thx

1) Start in Auto mode - the A/C button light will be off, but the A/C is on.
2) Press the A/C button twice - the A/C button light will be off, and the A/C is disabled. You will also no longer see the Auto mode displayed.
3) Use the dial to change the temperature up or down. The system will automatically adjust the fan speed and mode, and A/C will remain off.

The only thing that should turn the A/C back on is if you go back in Auto mode or use the front defroster.
Thanks for the tips

should make this a sticky :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the tips

should make this a sticky :D

No problem! I'm not sure if this is in the owner's manual, I found it through trial and error. I never use the manual fan buttons, so didn't know that turned the A/C back on. I'd prefer that the A/C button light was on in Auto mode to know it was being used; that's how it worked in my Nissan.

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
AC

I would have never figured this out in a hundred years. This should improve my fuel economy.

I fully agree that the button light should be lit if the AC is on (in any circumstance)

Thanks

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
i noticed, something like that but like many other here complained, we simply can't quite get the AC to really be off most of the time

even when the AC is off, the compressor was still ON as you mentioned.

so, i'll try that method to see if it can keep the compressor off, most of the time i drive with the windows open, but on rainy days i need air

but any time i manually set the air to come out from the windshield, the darn AC & compressor kicks in.

on most older cars, you can still have air without the AC, but that doesn't seem to be the case in our Sorento, and the AC On/Off button is useless, it's almost pointless to have that button there, as it still turns itself backs on, even when the light is off on the button.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i noticed, something like that but like many other here complained, we simply can't quite get the AC to really be off most of the time

even when the AC is off, the compressor was still ON as you mentioned.

so, i'll try that method to see if it can keep the compressor off, most of the time i drive with the windows open, but on rainy days i need air

but any time i manually set the air to come out from the windshield, the darn AC & compressor kicks in.

on most older cars, you can still have air without the AC, but that doesn't seem to be the case in our Sorento, and the AC On/Off button is useless, it's almost pointless to have that button there, as it still turns itself backs on, even when the light is off on the button.

Using the method I described, I've never had the A/C come on and start blowing colder air. I've used this method a few times when I was on the highway and running low on gas. I can't speak to whether the compressor is running or not, probably because I have the radio on!

If you blow the air onto the windshield, that is using the front defroster, and the A/C will come on; this was the same as in my Nissan. The Nissan was easier to figure out, because you could keep the Auto mode on and still turn off the A/C, and the light would always be on if the A/C was on. In the Nissan, anytime it was cold and the Auto mode put the front defroster on (or the mode where heat comes to your feet AND the front defroster), the A/C would kick on. I find the Kia configuration a bit confusing.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
769 Posts
For most, if not all, cars these days, when defrosting the windshield the AC turns on. This dries the air and is more effective at removing fog/mist.

When I push the front defrost button on my SX, it switches to the windshield, increase the fan and turns on the AC. It keeps the current temp. When I turn off the front defrost, the climate control returns to the previous settings.

Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX
13 Posts
For most, if not all, cars these days, when defrosting the windshield the AC turns on. This dries the air and is more effective at removing fog/mist.

When I push the front defrost button on my SX, it switches to the windshield, increase the fan and turns on the AC. It keeps the current temp. When I turn off the front defrost, the climate control returns to the previous settings.

Makes sense to me.
The Sorento is the first car I've owned that that uses the A/c for defrost. While I understand how it can help by removing condensation faster, I feel a cold bast of air whenever that defroster is on. This isn't the most pleasant thing when it's really cold outside.

Do others have this same experience?

Is there a way I can override this behavior and turn the a/c off when defrosting?

Every car I've previously had seemed to be able to defrost ok without needing the a/c.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts