Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well during the day too.
My sporty like most, has more stuff to fix than I have time or money to do. But one thing I think cant wait has to do with this thump/popping noise that comes while turning, but only when the weight of the vehicle is thrown to that side. Yes the tierod bushings are bad. The swaybar bushings are ok as far as I can tell. Control arm bushings are ok at best. I have a suspition that the struts are bad. What do yall reccomend? I know it would be best to go through and replace all the rubber, but that gets pricey. And just throwing a bunch of parts at it may fix it but Id rather fix the problem and have some money left over for whatever breaks next! What do you think?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I would replace the parts that are visibly worn, inspect both struts for any fluid leaks, and check the ball joints on the side that is giving you noise when loaded: in the wishbone (upper), and at the lower control arm (lower)..

Better yet, check both sides. :)

It "could" just be the tierod end(s) giving you grief, but without replacing the worn part(s) & seeing if the issue corrects, I dunno.

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
Well during the day too.
My sporty like most, has more stuff to fix than I have time or money to do. But one thing I think cant wait has to do with this thump/popping noise that comes while turning, but only when the weight of the vehicle is thrown to that side. Yes the tierod bushings are bad. The swaybar bushings are ok as far as I can tell. Control arm bushings are ok at best. I have a suspition that the struts are bad. What do yall reccomend? I know it would be best to go through and replace all the rubber, but that gets pricey. And just throwing a bunch of parts at it may fix it but Id rather fix the problem and have some money left over for whatever breaks next! What do you think?
Does the issue happen only with the steering completely turned on one side?

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
I would check the free wheel hubs:
- I would check that they are not always engaged: raising one of the front wheels and rotating it the wheel should rotate while its half shaft should not (if your sportage has got vacuum free wheel hubs this test should be performed while the engine is running, hand brake firmly applied and the other wheels chocked); then lower the wheel and check the other front wheel;
- then I would remove the free wheel hubs to check their gears for any damage.

·
Registered
2002 kia sportage
16 Posts
Went through mine 5 or 6 months ago. Def worth replacing worn out suspension components. Can't believe how bad mine handled till I felt the difference.
Jack up the front end and start man handling it from side to side. You should find the issue pretty quick. Check the wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. Struts are usually visable damage, leaking, broken hardware.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts