Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we arrived at some relatives that had just moved to a house with a ropey heating system and they apologised for the conditions. So I said it didn't matter because we had just been in a car with auto climate control which just offers a choice of boiling or freezing. His reply was "oh, I know what you mean".

So it isn't only Kia that's incompetent. (And the boil option was still happening despite my home made tuning box doing its best to nail it. Bearing in mind that at 6 degrees yesterday, we're now entering the maximum zone of incompetence that continues until we get above about 17 degrees.)

Part of the problem is that the system is now relied on to regulate things, whereas we used to have a knob with full control of the heater. Now, one either has to accept the setting it wants or to switch it off.

But there was also another issue yesterday. What we really wanted was cool air on our faces (preferably as nature intended) and toasty feet. This used to be possible but something called progress seems to have got in the way. And what idiot set the default of sending hot air to the screen when demisting is not required?

If I was to change cars, I would now be expected to be impressed with dual zone. The driver and passenger can select a 3 degree difference. Wow. Excuse me but what problem does this solve? Instead, how about providing a ventilation system that actually works?

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
Its not a problem will all makes. We have had a few cars with Climate including Jeep, Alfa, Seat, Audi, Saab, Chrysler, Jaguar and never had a problem all seemed to do what they were supposed to, but it seems the Kia one is particularly deficient and my parents complain of the same problems on a Peugeot 307. Personally while we have had many cars with Climate Control that has usually been due to get the spec of car we wanted with other features then we have also had Climate Control. Personally I prefer manual controls.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not a problem will all makes. We have had a few cars with Climate including Jeep, Alfa, Seat, Audi, Saab, Chrysler, Jaguar and never had a problem all seemed to do what they were supposed to,
I guess some might be ok, after all it can't be technically difficult. I expect behaviour is low key in some eyes because it's only the panel that matters for getting interest in the showroom.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Unless the Euro spec Kias are different, you can't have cool air coming out of the vents and hot air coming out the floor. The system doesn't split this way.

It is trying to reach the interior temp you selected as quickly as possible, and if you don't like the way it is doing that, you can always manually control it.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Our Nissan seems to do a pretty good job of climate control; split system too. Never had to read the "distractions".

My Dad's old GM Holden had an extensive section in the owner's manual that described all sorts of heat and directional options for the heater/ventilation system. Pages and pages to decribe the operation of 2 simple controls that didn't do much.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Cee'd 5 door
101 Posts
My Ceed has the dual controls. I run them at the same temp; turned to hi as soon as I start and turn it down after it warms up inside. Typically I keep the air flowing to the windscreen and the floor using the manual controls, adjusting the fan speed and temp as needed to keep things clear and comfortable. I read through the manual but lost interest after the first few paragraphs. I seriously doubt I could set and forget the controls and it would take car of all the different conditions that I encounter during a day, even with all the sensors it has inside and on the widshield.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Our SW "3" has climate and we are delighted with it. We always have the temp set to the same temp in both "zones", cannot honestly see the point in setting them different in the space the size of a car. We never have it set the "auto" since we are quite capable of deciding ourselves what fan speed we want and where we want the air flow to be directed. In winter we rarely need to have the AC on (except once every couple of weeks to run the pump) but in summer its simply wonderful to set it at 22 degrees at the start of a long run and never have to touch it again all day. Last summer we set off on a 430 mile run at 6 in the morning when the air temp was about 15 degrees, by the time we arrived home the air temp was 28 degrees but we had never touched the controls other than increasing the fan speed when we were in slow traffic.

Brilliant system.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I am with SWCeed on this one. In the three years I have owned my SW It has been set to auto, 20C, with the aircon on. If the windscreen is misted I press the button. Oh, on one long journey in winter I turned it up to 22C for a while. An excellent system that works for me and has almost without intervention in ambient temperatures from 25c to -12C.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... but in summer its simply wonderful to set it at 22...
If summer was the deciding factor, mine provides adequate cooling too but this isn't what automating the system is all about.

The trouble is, there are plenty of days in a year other than a few hot days of summer to make a mess of things. I suggest your way of operating actually shows a lack of satisfaction with the automation.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Following on from my other post about seeing an ambient of -40 in the OBD scan, I decided to disconnect the ambient sensor for the climate control that sits in front of the radiator. It makes no difference to the OBD reading so I assume it isn't linked.

At least the diagnostics on the panel now shows an open circuit error but as yet I haven't noticed any significant difference in behaviour.

Having said that, yesterday we had a journey of about 50 miles at 7 degrees and sunny. The cabin temperature was a reasonable 19-21 but the temperature of the air leaving the vents was 27. The chill effect of the air movement around the head produced unusually pleasant results (dash and floor vents only, of course).

I guess the problem is that we haven't had such extended periods of cold weather before so the lack of layering hasn't previously been so noticeable. Without layering designed into the trunking, no amount of knob twiddling, electronic foolery and cursing can provide it. Now the temperature is nudging up, the system doesn't need to apply so much added heat to get the cabin up to temperature. We're now entering the region where my electronic foolery can make an improvement.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
If summer was the deciding factor, mine provides adequate cooling too but this isn't what automating the system is all about.

The trouble is, there are plenty of days in a year other than a few hot days of summer to make a mess of things. I suggest your way of operating actually shows a lack of satisfaction with the automation.
The temperature control of the Ceed system is excellent summer or winter.

The "auto" button on any climate system is a menace and they work exactly the same way in all makes. You get no airflow until the system heats up and then the fan ramps up and blows you into the back seat. No automatic system knows where "I" want the air to flow, how can it. If the screen needs demisting I direct it onto the screen, if my feet are cold I direct it onto my feet. The beauty with the kia system is you can split the flow between screen, body and feet if you want.

By never using the "auto" button we have a cliamte control system that works exactly as we would hope such a system to work. Basically the system takes care of the temperature and we decide where we want the air to blow.

How hard can it be.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The beauty with the kia system is you can split the flow between screen, body and feet if you want.
Well, the buttons certainly turn vents on and off though that is nothing novel. But I have had cars that allow cooler air to be admitted to the top of the cabin. This is how zoning should be implemented.
By never using the "auto" button
I rest my case. Pity it is not possible to also bypass the temperature controller and take control of the air as it comes from the vents.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
The bottom line is we are absolutely delighted in the way climate control works on our car. Kia provide a selection of buttons and by deciding not to use the "Auto" button and controlling the fan speed and air direction ourselves it makes it a better experience. If it was essential to operate the system in "Auto" Kia would not provide a button that gives owners the choice, it would be "Auto" with no option to cancel it.

Some people who have no decision making powers will be happy to let the system do its own thing and if they are happy that's fine by me.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some people who have no decision making powers will be happy to let the system do its own thing and if they are happy that's fine by me.
That's not quite the angle. Some people might be happy to press auto and be willing to accept rubbish. When it says "automatic" it is a matter of principle that it should better suit those willing to make adjustments before they feel the need to make adjustments.

·
Registered
268 Posts
In all the many climate control systems I have had "auto" worked just fine. Set the temp, press auto and forget. It would seem on the Ceed it does not. If you have to use it in "manual" mode it begs the question - what is the point of climate control?

It is not supposed to be only a digital thermostat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Lets just accept that I am the only poster on here that lives in the real world and can decide for themselves what works best and what doesn't. For us not using the auto button means we have a brilliant Climate Control system. All the auto button does is decides where to blow the air and at what speed, we have to choose the temp so why not have a mind of your own and decide the fan speed and direction.

But I have to remember that on planet earth no one can think for themselves and find a better way to use a product.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Lets just accept that I am the only poster on here that lives in the real world and can decide for themselves what works best and what doesn't...But I have to remember that on planet earth no one can think for themselves and find a better way to use a product.
Saying an automatic system works really well if you use it manually, is like saying a car is really good for transport if you don't use it and walk.

I don't think this is the issue of other people not being in the "real world", but rather if one pays for an automatic heating and cooling system then one should expect it to work automatically. If it does does not work automatically it is not fit for purpose, not as decribed in the sales literature, and a waste of money and resources.

As I have said my preference is for a manual system as I am quite capable of adjusting the temp, air direction and air speed but if I am going to pay extra for a automatic system I would expect it to work automatically. I would be the same for automatic dipping mirrors, automatic lights etc etc

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
If you read my posts I am saying the climate control system works perfectly. We set the temp at for example 22 degrees and it keeps the temp at 22 degrees. But since we are people who still have the capability of deciding where we want the air to flow and at what speed we don't have it set to auto. If people are too stupid or idle to decide for themselves perhaps they should use auto.

As for auto headlights and wipers etc why should anyone need to think of them, for gods sake, if you cannot tell when its raining or dark you should not be on the road.

So to repeat what I have said before

WE THINK CLIMATE CONTROL IN THE CEED IS GREAT BUT WE PREFER TO USE IT WITHOUT AUTO SWITCHED ON SINCE IT ALLOWS US TO DECIDE THE AIR FLOW DIRECTION AND SPEED. EVEN WITH AUTO SWITCHED OFF IT STILL MAINTAINS THE CAR AT A CONSTANT TEMPERATURE

If you cannot understand that I guess all is lost.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you read my posts ...
If you cannot understand that I guess all is lost.
Yes, it was understood some time ago. Well, if you're happy I guess Kia can give the development team a pat on the back and give them handsome redundancy packages as there is no more work to be done. Actually they need a bollicking.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts