Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could help me? On a typical day I can drive around fine and no noise what so ever. On days that is rains my serpentine belt whines like crazy, and if it is pouring out, my belt whines, and my power steering will intermittently go out. I know that there are splash guards on the wheel fenders, but are there any others? Sorry for the silly question, I just wanted to find out where to be looking for missing splash guards before I go crawling around on the ground. Also, if it is of importance, I also noticed that when it rains bad, my subs don't seem to work for about 10 minutes after I start the car. (I thought maybe the fuse was wet, which would again point to a splash guard)

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,516 Posts
Have you thought about checking the tension on your drive belt, or just replacing it?? What is the year of your car? Miles since last belt change?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologize, it is a 2004. I bought it used and am not truthfully sure of when it was last changed. I am definitely going to change it, but I wanted to see if I could find out if there was in fact missing guards since it only acts up when it's wet out before I did.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,516 Posts
If I were you, I'd change out the belts. They are slipping when wet, to me that means they are old and worn out. If they break when you are driving, you will be stranded.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
When it's raining, some water will inevitably get into the engine compartment via the front grille and lower openings. The radiator should prevent gross splashes of water and air-flow and the engine heat will evaporate the rest. Do as the Cobra suggests and replace the serpentine. Maybe it's stretched beyond the travel of the idler pulley, or become shiny with age.

Splash guards on the fenders are an attempt to deflect road splash away from the windscreen. Rally cars, for example often have gigantic splash guards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts