Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
'15 Sorento SX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was experiencing an annoying rattle at speeds above 60 MPH in my '11 Sportage SX. It sounded like crackling, and was coming from around the passenger A-pillar. As speed increased, it got more noticeable, and didn't seem to depend on the road surface at all, so I figured it had to be something wind related. After searching the Internet, having the dealer poke around, and messing with a few things on the exterior, like the mirror, myself, I couldn't find a solution. I finally noticed that the seal at the back of the fender, which is a long thin plastic part that fits into the space at the front of the door (Part 3 on the attached diagram) was loose. I took a chance and took it out (the space is really tight, so it was a bit of a struggle to get the three fasteners out and to pull it out from between the door and fender - be sure and put some masking tape on the body to prevent scratches and scuffs). I then stuck some thin (about an quarter of an inch) self-stick weatherstripping from Home Depot on top of the paltry foam strip that was around the edges of the part. It was even harder to get it back in, but the hassle was worth it - the rattle cleared up entirely. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
'15 Sorento SX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Scratch That...

Well, I spoke too soon. The rattle is back. I'll keep poking around, I guess. If anyone else has found a solution to this, I'd appreciate a suggestion - this is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
2011 Sportage EX AWD Black Cherry
7 Posts
Might be way off here, but I might suggest, in your case, that you pull the wind shield cowling off and go for a drive. It's easy to do - just be careful when pulling the wiper arms off. There are a series of plastic tabs on the cowling that hook behind the bottom edge of the wind shield that can rattle against the glass. If it is the cowling, you most likely will hear a ticking noise at the base of the wind shield that definitely sounds like something tapping against glass. There is also another post on this forum about the plastic piece that attaches the cowling to the A pillar and fender on each side- http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sp...tml#post390477

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2010 Toyota Prius
57 Posts
Well, I spoke too soon. The rattle is back. I'll keep poking around, I guess. If anyone else has found a solution to this, I'd appreciate a suggestion - this is driving me nuts!
I have a similar problem with my '11 SX. At highway speed (65mph+) there is an irritating low frequency buzzing or humming sound emanating from what seems to be the r-side A-pillar/lower windshield/cowl area. I have sat in the passenger seat on test drives to try and pinpoint it to no avail. The dealer attempted to fix it but no joy.

I'm now thinking about systematically removing parts under the hood/windshield cowling area to try to isolate the problem.
As an interesting example...When I had a 2000 Porsche Boxster, there was well-known and irritating "Coke bottle whistling" sound that came from the front area of the car that flummoxed owners for some time. It turned-out to be a simple hood bumper-stop position adjustment that was very critical for front hood to bumper gap. Whistle eliminated.

As the other posters have stated, this is very annoying, and any community efforts to a solution are much appreciated!

·
Registered
'15 Sorento SX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is an irritating low frequency buzzing or humming sound
Mine is more of a sort of crackling or creaking sound, almost like a dry leaf rattling around. But in addition to my failed attempt with the seal, and exploring under the A-pillar cover, I've looked for the obvious leaf stuck somewhere. As soon as I can, I'm going to remove the window cowling and see if I can see anything obvious.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2010 Toyota Prius
57 Posts
Mine is more of a sort of crackling or creaking sound, almost like a dry leaf rattling around. But in addition to my failed attempt with the seal, and exploring under the A-pillar cover, I've looked for the obvious leaf stuck somewhere. As soon as I can, I'm going to remove the window cowling and see if I can see anything obvious.
"...almost like a dry leaf rattling around." Actually that description isn't far-off from what I hear as well. I hope to get some time soon to poke around and see what I might be able to do to remedy the situation.

Keep us all updated with any findings!

·
Registered
2006 Lexus gs300, 2011 optima SX, 2012 Sportage EX Premium
51 Posts
I have the same rattle but I noticed it more being the door panel. When I push it it cracks but the rattle leaves. When the car sits for a while it does the same thing I have to keep pushing the panel. I'm thinking about adding closed cell foam in the panels

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Me too, dry leaves rattling noise especially in the highway. Would really love to figure out who the culprit is, but too busy to play detectives. Definitely, keep us posted.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
137 Posts
I noticed that the climate control setting on the lowest fan speed produces a slight rattle that seems like it comes from the driver A pillar area (that vent, actually). Turning the fan up to 2 or higher and it goes away. Might be worth checking just to see if that's the same issue facing any of your vehicles...

·
Registered
'15 Sorento SX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked out different fan settings today, and no go. Still there.

Last weekend, I had my wife drive the car and I took a stethoscope (she's a nurse) and moved it around the frame, door and dash, with the A-pillar cover off. The noise seemed to be louder on the body, and is more pronounced right at the bottom of the pillar, as much as I can reach down there. It's not coming from the door or rear view mirror, or from the windshield, as far as I can tell. I'm planning some more probing in the next couple of days around the engine compartment, the window cowling and behind the glovebox, as far as I can reach. I really have to draw the line at tearing out the dash itself - even I'm not that obsessive.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
I noticed that the climate control setting on the lowest fan speed produces a slight rattle that seems like it comes from the driver A pillar area (that vent, actually). Turning the fan up to 2 or higher and it goes away. Might be worth checking just to see if that's the same issue facing any of your vehicles...
Thats actually your fan bearing making the noise... Its not suppose to. I had that squeaking noise on level 1-3 and goes away on the higher settings. I had the dealer replace it for free due to defective bearing.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
I think I found the source of the rattling in the passenger area, but I have only done one quick drive in the highway and noticed no more rattling. I only used a temporary fix until I go to homedepot or lowes to pick up some thin weather stripping insulation. I think its the plastic wheel well on the under fender over the tires. I noticed only the outer side is clipped and the inner portion is not and could cause wind at highway speeds to make them rattle. So putting weather stripping tape in between will prevent the rattling. Someone else can try it to confirm.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
I think I found the source of the rattling in the passenger area, but I have only done one quick drive in the highway and noticed no more rattling. I only used a temporary fix until I go to homedepot or lowes to pick up some thin weather stripping insulation. I think its the plastic wheel well on the under fender over the tires. I noticed only the outer side is clipped and the inner portion is not and could cause wind at highway speeds to make them rattle. So putting weather stripping tape in between will prevent the rattling. Someone else can try it to confirm.
Please post photos of the fix, if possible.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX FWD with Convenience Package
5 Posts
Help me

Hey,
I have the same issue. I purchased a 2012 Kia Sportage LX FWD with convenience package about a month ago and the only issue so far is that annoying rattle at higher speeds that sounds just like you described in the front passenger area (dry leaf blowing around and hitting stuff) I saw somewhere else about the solution to fix is inside the fender well also. CAN YOU PLEASE POST A PIC SO I CAN FIX THIS driving me nuts. I looked under the front right fender and i see the plastic fenderwell. Which space are you talking about to fill in to fix this?

***Also why if its inside the fender well does it not happen to the driver side or others?

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
I cant take any pics because its raining and gonna rain for a few days here : (. Ill try to point it out. On alegator13's picture "Is this the spot" going towards the rear, take strip on weather insulation stripping tape and place it in between the plastic fender well and the car's body. Just pull back the wheel well a little enough to place the insulation tape and have it sandwich between the wheel well. Run the tape all the way to the back till you reach mud guard.

I only tested it once on the highway so I cannot be positively sure it solved the problem. Others will have to confirm. The weather insulation tape called "rubber foam weather seal" should only cost you $4 and Its black one and I believe I got the 1/2" thickness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK,
I think i finally got the spot but here is a picture to make sure. Let me know if this is correct.
**so do you apply it from the corner that cuts in on the top through the bottom to the mud flap?
Im heading out today so im gonna go ahead and get the weather stripping and try it there and see if it works.

Thanks alot

***EDIT UPDATE
THE PICTURE BELOW IS THE AREA WHERE TO APPLY WEATHER STRIPPING BETWEEN TO STOP THE RATTLING NOISE AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
UPDATE:
Hey everyone...the picture i posted above is correct. THIS WILL CORRECT THE RATTLE NOISE IN THE FRONT PASSENGER SIDE. Just put like he said 1/2 to 1 inch weather stripping behind the area circled down to the mud guard on the inside between and this will stop the higher speeds winds from causing this area to rattle back and forth causing the noise.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts